In my opinion, dessert is the perfect ending to a great meal. If you’re following a healthy diet, you may not necessarily have to avoid that delicious piece of cake, just forgo the calories by choosing desserts lower in fat and sugar.
A few examples of healthy desserts:
- Fruit – fresh, frozen, canned or dried
- Diet yogurt
- Fruit yoghurt smoothies
- A few squares of dark chocolate
- Fruit crumble with oats, nuts and wholemeal flour
- Low fat custard or rice pudding
- Low fat ice cream
- Frozen low fat yogurt
Revising recipes may require some trial and error, however it’s worth persevering. Look out for new recipes, which are low in fat and sugar – no matter what your favourite dessert is, you should be able to find a healthier version.
- Use olive or canola oil in place of butter or shortening.
- Replace half the flour with whole grain flour to increase fibre content.
- Cut back on sugar, and sweeten desserts by adding fruit to recipes instead.
- Replace full fat items, such as milk, cream, cream cheese, with a lower fat version.
Lemon Frozen Yoghurt
Preparation time 10 minutes, plus 2 hours draining and freezing
- 1 litre low fat vanilla yoghurt
- 185ml lemon juice
- 185g caster sugar
- 60ml light corn syrup
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Place the yoghurt in a fine sieve over a bowl and leave it to drain in the fridge for a at least 2 hours. Discard the liquid that drains off.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until the sugar dissolves. Add drained yoghurt and whisk in well.
- If you have an ice-cream machine, pour the mixture into it and churn according to the maker’s instructions. Otherwise, place the mixture in a shallow metal tray and freeze for 2 hours, or until the mixture is frozen around the edges. Transfer to a large bowl and beat until smooth. Repeat this step three times. For the final freezing, place in an airtight container, cover the surface with a piece of greaseproof paper and lid, and freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
Nutritional Information: Fat 0.5g; Protein 8g; Carbohydrate 48g; Dietary fibre 0g; 230 kcal (955KJ).