Do any of us really know what we actually eat on a daily basis? You may be consuming plenty of food, but is it the correct type? Unfortunately, it is possible to use up our daily calorie allowance by eating only a few unhealthy items. However, if this is the case, chances are the body won’t be receiving enough protein, fibre, vitamins, or minerals from these foods.
It’s good to remind yourselves from time to time, that the food and lifestyle choices you make today, will ultimately effect how you feel today, tomorrow and for the rest of your life!
Is is time to ‘stock-take’ your eating habits?
What should a health diet look like?
- Plenty of whole fruits and vegetables
- Half your grains should be whole
- Lean meat, poultry, fish, and also beans, eggs, and nuts
- Low fat milk and dairy products
- Low in saturated fats, Trans fats, salt (sodium), and added sugars
You may find it useful to keep a daily food diary for a few days. The act of recording what you eat will give you a better indication of how your eating plan stands up against current recommendations. Often it’s difficult to recalled exactly what we’ve eaten throughout the day, and many people find that when they start a food record, they discover just how unhealthy their diet has been.
Check out my previous healthy eating series:
- Part 1 Fruit and Vegetables
- Part 2 Bread, Potatoes, Breakfast and other Cereals
- Part 3 Meat, Fish and Alternatives
- Part 4 Milk and Dairy
- Part 5 Foods High in Fat/Sugar
Also, you may want to take a look at :
Try to choose the most nutritionally rich foods you can from each food group on a daily basis, this way you’ll be meeting all of your bodies nutrient requirements, and hopefully saving on calories too!
Please do contact me with any queries.