Finding time for exercise
If you really want to lose weight, the fastest way to do so is to combine a healthy diet with exercise. This doesn’t necessarily mean expensive gym membership, or joining a fitness class; however you should choose an activity that will raise your heart and breathing rate, and aim for 30 minutes a day, at least 5 days each week.
If you’ve been inactive for some time, you can start with 10 minutes each day, and gradually increase the duration, as your strength improves. Here are a few examples of aerobic exercise:
- Brisk walking
- Aerobic classes
- Swimming, or water aerobics
- Playing tennis, squash, or badminton
You should also try to incorporate strength training in your routine a couple of times each week. This will help to build strong bones and muscles. If you can’t afford to join a class, or gym, you could lift weights at home, however take care to learn exactly how to use them safely.
It’s important to be as active as you possibly can throughout the day, as every little helps! Check out my previous articles, for more tips on how to achieve this:
- How to Increase your Physical Activity While you Work
- 6 Top Tips for Increasing your Physical Activity
Here are a few additional tips from Diet and Fitness Resources:
- Park at the far end of the car park.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.
- Walk the dog for an extra 5 minutes.
- Go for a walk during your lunch break, or walk to buy your lunch.
- Walk to the corner shop instead of driving.
- Walk to a friends houses instead of driving.
- Get friends and family out of the house for a game of football or Frisbee.
- Remember, gardening and household chores count as well.
One final question: How many calories does it take to burn one pound?
There are 3,500 calories in one pound of body fat. If you divide 3,500 by 7 days in the week, you get 500 calories. Therefore, you should focus on creating a deficit of 500 calories a day, which over the course of one week, theoretically will result in one pound of weight loss.
This can be achieved either by creating a caloric deficit through your diet, burning the calories through exercise, or a combination of both. I suggest a combination of both as the best option. Again, try to work on making a few small changes in your diet to create a 250-500 calorie deficit, then by adding 30 minutes of exercise each day you will be well on the way to losing 1-2 pounds a week, which is safe, and healthy weight loss.
You may also want to check out, Overcoming Weight Loss Failures.
If you have any other tips or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.
Pages: 1 2