5 Ingredients or Less: 25 Meals For All Taste Buds

Pork Meals With 5 Ingredients or Less

Flickr: wolfworld

#17 Mexican Pork

This recipe would make a delicious filling for tacos or tortillas. Serve with sides of shredded lettuce, onion, peppers, and chopped tomatoes.

Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8-10 hours
Servings: 4

4 Ingredients:

• 3 pound boneless pork roast
  • 1 pack taco seasoning mix
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 4 ounce can chopped green chilies, drained
  • 1 cup water

Method:

1. Place pork roast in bottom of slow cooker.
  2. Mix remaining ingredients together and pour over roast.
  3. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
  4. Break pork apart with a fork while still in slow cooker.

Recipe source

• 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 600mls buttermilk
  • Extra 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 kg English spinach, washed and trimmed
  • 60g raisins

Method:

1. Heat the butter and oil in a large heavy duty pan. Season the pork with pepper and brown well on a medium heat. Add the garlic and half the buttermilk to the pan, bring to the boil, and reduce to a very low simmer. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, and cook for 1 hour.
  2. After the hour, the milk will have reduced, thickened and turned a pale golden brown. Add the remaining milk and cook, covered, for another 35 minutes. Remove the pork from the pan, cover with aluminum foil and stand for 10 minutes.
  3. Return to the pan to heat and bring the buttermilk mixture to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 3-4 minutes. The mixture will separate and have small clumps of solids. Pour this through a fine strainer.
  4. Heat the extra oil in a medium , heavy-based pan. Add the spinach and raisins and cook, stirring until the spinach just starts to wilt. Place the spinach on a warm serving plate. Cut the meat into thin slices and lay over the spinach. Spoon a little of the strained clear liquid from the pan over the meat. Serve immediately.

Recipe source: Better Cooking: A Year in the Kitchen, Better Homes and Gardens, Kerrie Carr

Which 5 ingredient meals (or less) take your fancy?

Click the next page to see vegetarian recipes with 5 ingredients or less…

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Lauren March 5, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Hey Mel this is a great list of recipes. I can’t wait to get stuck into some of them.

Cheers.

Tanya March 5, 2008 at 10:26 pm

Great job. I have some similar recipes and I look forward to trying some of these.

Family Nutritionist March 6, 2008 at 1:40 am

There are some great ideas here. Also, don’t forget meatloaf. You can do it in 5 ingredients if you like it plain, 6 if you want to add a seasoning (italian seasoning, curry powder, chili powder, or chipotle peppers, for example).

Is your “kumara” my “sweet potato”? In the US’s New England, fishcakes were traditionally made from leftover salt cod (bacala) and mashed potato. This is an interesting variation.

ruth March 6, 2008 at 6:29 am

absolutely adore these recipes! can’t wait to try them. and share them!!!!!!!

Melanie March 6, 2008 at 8:37 am

Hi guys,

Thank you all for commenting!

Lauren – I hope you enjoy!

Tanya – Your site looks great, I’ll check out your recipes too.

Family Nutritionist – I’ve actually never tried meatloaf, can you recommend a recipe? Yes, the kumara is sweet potato, or is it also called yam in the USA?

Ruth – you can let me know if you do try any of them out!

Rebecca March 7, 2008 at 11:30 am

YumOLA! I can hardly wait to try some of these, especially that berry chicken. Thanks for sharing.

ruth March 13, 2008 at 8:16 am

hi mel, well I tried the chicken pesto parcels. Wonderful! similar to another dish I make stufing my chicken with mozerella and beef tonatoes and fresh basil leaves. so it was good having another variation.

Melanie March 13, 2008 at 10:35 pm

Hi Rebecca,

Glad you found the recipes useful, I thought the berry chicken sounded great too.

Hi Ruth,

So the pesto parcels went well..that’s great news. Yes, I’ve had your stuffed chicken dish too, it’s delicious!

BTW, thanks for the rice recipe, I’ve definitely had it once before, and it’s great. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thank you!

Family Nutritionist April 5, 2008 at 3:14 am

Melanie,

I missed your response to my comment.
I’ve posted my favorite meatloaf recipe at Perfect Chipotle Meatloaf.

Family Nutritionist April 5, 2008 at 3:22 am

In the US, “yam” and “sweet potato” can be confusing. The sweet potato is not a yam, but for some reason the red or orange sweet potatoes are called yams, especially in the South Maybe they taste something like real yams (which I’ve never had). So sometimes they are called “yam sweet potatoes”. And sometimes yams are called “yams (not sweet potatoes)”. But real yams are uncommon, except in groceries with lots of customers from the Caribbean.

And the pale, whitish variety of sweet potatoes are always called sweet potatoes, but who eats them? Sweet potato pie, mashed sweet potatoes, sweet potato french fries, and are made with the orange sweet potatoes. Candied yams are made with the orange sweet potatoes, too.

Melanie April 8, 2008 at 1:28 pm

Hi Family Nutritionist,

Thanks for linking to your meatloaf recipe. Since replying to your initial, I’ve had meatloaf at a friends house. It was great, and not at all what I had expected.

Also, thanks for clearing up the extremely confusing “yam” issue!

Jesse May 18, 2008 at 9:38 pm

Love this compilation…amazing,fish cakes using sweet potato,a totally new idea for me.Thanks for sharing :)

Jesse’s last blog post..‘ Love Thyself.. ‘

Melanie May 19, 2008 at 8:56 am

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for commenting. I’m glad you found some new ideas here, that’s great!

Barry January 14, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Melanie,
This is great and just what my readers are looking for.
Thanks,
Barry (Solo-Dad)

Melanie January 15, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Hey Barry,
I’m glad the post was useful to you. Let me know if any of the recipes are particularly good!! :-)

Karyn June 6, 2009 at 3:41 am

THANKS so much for these recipes!! What a wonderful and EASY idea – and healthy! I am not big on beef, but will use probably 75% or the recipes posted here!
Thanks again,
Karyn

Melanie June 6, 2009 at 4:22 am

Hi Karyn,
I’m so glad you found this post useful, hope the meals are a success! :-)

Deborah Porter August 26, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Thanks for the great Veggies recipes. Always looking for some.
.-= Deborah Porter´s last blog .. =-.

Melanie August 27, 2009 at 8:46 am

Hey Deborah,
I hope they are helpful. What’s the best veggie recipe/s you’ve found?

Daleen April 30, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Thanks Melanie for the list of recipes cant wait to try them

Melanie May 3, 2010 at 9:45 pm

You’re welcome!

Glucose Meters December 19, 2010 at 2:14 am

Wow, that looks absolutely delicious! Great post, you did such a nice job presenting the pictures too…I am definitely going to have to try that recipe this weekend! Thanks!

Melanie December 23, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Hi,
Thank you. I hope the recipes turned out well for you :-)

Micah February 23, 2011 at 5:25 pm

your recipes look very good and i thing im gonna try them all in the later days to they look GOOD

Melanie February 23, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Let us know how you get on :-)