How To Become A Runner In Just 10 Weeks

If you’ve ever wondered how to become a runner, you’re not alone.

It’s very easy to look at runners and think they’re somehow different to us; that they were simply born super fit – this is definitely how I’ve felt in the past.

However, with a little work and determination, you too can become a runner.

One the problems some face, is that they believe they’re too overweight, or unfit to run.

But the fact is, learning how to become a runner doesn’t require that you are fit already. Apart from exceptional circumstances, anyone can participate.

The best part is that it’s completely free!

How to become a runner and why…

how to become a runner

doviende

There are many benefits to starting and continuing a running plan, and most runners have different reasons why they do it.

Here are some of the general benefits:

• Boosts energy and mood
  • Burns calories
  • Helps with weight loss
  • Tones and firms the body
  • Provides quiet thinking time
  • Can encourage better eating habits

Exercise also has the added benefit of helping prevent disease, such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and some cancers. So, why not give it a go?

Running Posture

Before you begin running it’s important to consider your running form. This is how you hold your body as you run.

For an effective run, try to:

• Relax your upper body, pulling your abdominal muscles in tight.
  • Swing your arms back and forth, rather than across the body.
  • Push off from the balls of your feet.

Running Preparation

Stretching is a particularly important part of any exercise regimen.

It helps reduce the amount of lactic acid produced by the muscles, decreases the chance of injury, and keeps the body supple.

Get into the practice of stretching 5 or 6 times each week, for short periods at a time. Ideally, you should make it a part of your exercise routine.

After a few minutes warm up (like a slow jog, or walk), do your stretches and then begin your run. Perform some stretches then when you’re finished.

Stretching examples include:

• Calf stretch
  • Hamstring stretch
  • Quadricep stretch
  • Tricep stretch
  • Yoga poses
  • Pilate’s poses

I’m a firm believer in taking lifestyle changes step by step, on a consistent basis until they become habit.

Previously, when I’ve tried to run, I simply didn’t have a plan. The result? My efforts faded out after a few weeks.

Recently, I was perusing a copy of the excellent magazine Notebook (September 2007), and came across a very simple, yet easy to follow beginner’s running program.

The key to any new exercise regimen is, that it starts small and increases gradually. This is exactly what this program does, and I’m really excited to get started myself.

Continue to discover the schedule for how to become a runner in 10 weeks…

Click the next page to read the 10 week plan on how to become a runner…

Pages: 1 2

Tom July 3, 2008 at 2:34 pm

This is a great article. Running is great exercise, and best of all it doesn’t cost anything. I really like how you set out the program to progressively increase the intensity. I very much believe the best way for long-term success when it comes to exercise or diet is to start very slow, and progressively work upwards.

kathryn July 4, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Great guide Melanie. We often forget how simple these things can be. Hope the move is going well.

kathryn’s last blog post..Quicklinks

Wendy July 4, 2008 at 1:34 pm

Huh, I’m in Perth and I just started a jogging program similar to this that I made up for myself last week. Your thoughts must be loud! ;-P

Rebecca July 5, 2008 at 1:26 am

I’m also one of the ones that did the C25K program. Even I was astonished when I ran 30 minutes!!

Rebecca’s last blog post..Personal Revolution

Suzannah July 6, 2008 at 8:55 am

Hey Melanie, I was literally just thinking that I wish I could take up something like jogging (I tried for about 6 months when I was younger and loved it), so I was surprised when I logged on here 5 minutes later and saw your post. Divine Intervention, I think! Anyway, I wondered your thoughts on jogging for people who are ‘bottom-heavy.’ I once told my doctor I’d taken it up, and he laughed at me. Do you think people of a certain shape should stick to walking because of the potential strain on the knees?

Melanie July 8, 2008 at 4:45 am

Hi Tom,

You are so right, gradually increasing your activity is absolutely the best way to improve your strength and endurance.

Hi Kathryn,

Thank you! We’ve safely arrived back in Northern Ireland, it’s been great to see family and friends again.

Hi Wendy,

That’s funny isn’t it!?!

Rebecca,

That’s amazing! I’m sure it felt so wonderful! Are you still running?

Hi Suzannah,

It’s great to hear from you! I’ll email soon ;-)

To be honest I think it depends on the individual – some people seem to be more prone to joint problems than others. But, if you had no problems last time, then I can’t see it being an issue this time.

I think the best thing to do is give it a go for a few weeks, then reassess. Having good foot ware will also help, as they can absorb some of the impact on your joints.

maria southerton September 8, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Thank you, these tips are going to be so usefull for me.

leani atherton March 30, 2011 at 7:14 pm

these tips are benefiting to everyone.but,I am a jamaican athlete and I am way past those stage.So it would be nice if you could add something more challengeing that can help to get more speed. So I can start claking 10seconds apart from 11seconds.As a 15 year old boy,thank you!

Melanie April 8, 2011 at 9:07 am

Leani,
You need to contact someone who specialises in the area of increasing speed for athletes.

tammy April 13, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Can you tell me how many times per week you recommend?

Thanks!

Melanie April 13, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Hi Tammy,
If running is something new to you, I recommend starting with twice per week, then working your way up, if you want to run more than 2 times per week.

If you are doing it purely as a form of exercise, 2-3 times per week is ample, along with strength training exercises in between.

I hope that helps.

Jennifer August 8, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I found and started this about 3 weeks ago. I’ve been pretty sedintary for the past few years so this is a challenge, but also do-able. I can already tell a big change in my cardiovascular health. Thanks!

Melanie August 8, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Hi Jennifer,
I’m so pleased to read your comment, and so glad that you came back to share your experience using this plan. Thank you so much, and best wishes. Please let me know when you get to the end of your 10 weeks, I’d love to find out how you get on then, too.

tammy August 30, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Hey Melanie,

I find that when I jog I am starting to get really sore at the top of my thigh where it meets the hip. What can I do to alleviate that? Thanks!!

Melanie September 6, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Hi Tammy,
Does this happen with other exercise, that is lower in impact?

Tammy October 4, 2011 at 5:18 pm

No, only while jogging. Thanks.

Ahmed September 6, 2012 at 7:17 am

thanks alot ,well it’s great plan for running , appreciate it.
I have been aplying it for 8 weaks . and its really works.

I just have one question , what if I did this plan and become able to run for 5 minutes ?! , because it,s hard to run depending on your body

Melanie September 19, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I’m sorry Ahmed, I don’t follow your question…

Othman October 12, 2012 at 7:02 am

Hey Melanie,

Thanks a lot for this article , I’m really excited to start it.

for me , I can run 2min and walk for 2min almost 6times weakly , I know still beginner lol, but I like running so much .

however , I’m 17 and I want represent my country @RIO2016 , is this possible?!

I know it need a lot of work , but at least it’s my dream.

finally
should I have rest day?

looking forward to hear from you :D

Melanie October 18, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Hi Othman,
Anything is possible, if you put your mind to it. I say go for it!!! :-) If you like running, that is half the battle already, so just keep at it. You have made a fantastic start already.

You should definitely have a rest day. This plan suggests repeats the program 2-3 times each week, while adding in other forms of exercise, too.

Perhaps a running coach would be good for you, if you are to realize your dreams?

Best wishes anyhow.

best fake tan product June 11, 2014 at 3:27 am

It does not deliver the best bronze coloring I have seen come out of other spray tan cans, and it does
leave you slightly tinted with a small hue of orange.

Tanning lotions are a great way to achieve a fake tan. This will close the pores and stop you getting the tell-tale black spots.
Working with the merchandise or providers uniformly is significant.

Unlike sun tans, sunless spray tans do get affected by the chemicals in swimming pools
and seawater. If you don’t you could look less brown and more yellow.
The FDA has further prohibited the safety of using any sunless tanning products internally.
Sun Lab spray tan has been providing many different types of spray tanning solutions
to salons and individuals for many years. If you are not familiar with
exfoliating it is simply the act of removing dead skin and dirt build up on the skin. Then I heard from the 12 year old, “Can I help you sir.

pure garcinia cambogia scam June 12, 2014 at 1:37 am

Some folks have no concerns in trying Garcinia Cambogia since according to scientific research it is risk-free and efficient.
It prevents waste and toxins to stay in the intestine or bowel for too long, to avoid several diseases.
99, is an audio application designed to hypnotize the user into losing weight in the event that healthy eating,
dieting, and exercise do not work for them. You are able to notice this weight loss supplement from many sources online.
Many people overeat when they become depressed but after taking Garcinia Cambogia,
you will feel happier and will not eat as much as you used to.
This will provide you the assurance that you will be having the results that
you want. If such a situation gets out of control, the user of weight loss supplements could develop
anemia starting from poor nutrition. Burn+Control Weight
Loss Coffee is a gourmet instant coffee infused with Garcinia Cambogia and Yerba
Mate. Tired of your weight and just feel like
giving up trying every bottle of new supplement-this or super-cure that.
Mega-T Green Tea Diet contains Guarana extract, an herb
used by African natives to increase their vigor
and energy levels during battle.

Lego camps for kids delray beach June 12, 2014 at 5:49 am

-1 person holding the ball, while the rest
(or just attackers) run into space and try to shake off the
defenders. That’s right – you can really train 3 days per week for about 35 to 45 minutes and get exceptional outcomes.

Such a modification in choice of health regimes has
been ruled predominantly via the clinical proof that
Calisthenics contain whole environment friendly determine of all the frame, center and muscles as
smartly. These are all valid concerns and should be studied and researched carefully before settling on the right choice.
Summer can be focused on sports, music, games, horseback riding, archery,
golf, swimming, boating, nature life, crafts, dance, or any
variety of activities. There is certainly nothing even worse than becoming trapped at home and see them
taking part in their awful video video games. Have students remove one of their shoes and place it on the table
in front of them. One Pakistani Naval officer and one firefighter were
killed in that attack. Numerous such fitness camps are available in Western Australia (WA), Queensland (QLD)
and New South Wales (NSW). When you figure out which one it is, you will know what to do for each person.

garcinia cambogia fruit rind June 16, 2014 at 12:31 am

Identical in this way Stylish Trim Garcinia Cambogia can also be a good plant based and pure excess
weight dropping product. A person must utilize the different webpage’s on the official web-sites to be aware of the different brand names on the market related to garcinia cambogia.
You should not feel the need to eat more, and therefore you should not be adding additional calories to your
diet. Long-term edema causes pitting: When you press on the swollen area for
a few seconds, you will notice an indentation in that area.

Olson checks out reasons for male and female fertility troubles, and recommends organic solutions – treatments that are really
easy to include into your day-to-day lifestyle. Firstly,
extensive literature searches are made to identify all scientific papers describing relevant studies.
Chromium picolinate also reduces appetite, inhibits fat synthesis thereby decreasing weight
yet maintaining muscle mass. There are also some natural solutions to weight loss that are also as effective as the
artificial solutions to weight loss. Next, it suppresses the appetite by letting the brain think that it is full and finally,
it can burn fast sooner. The most recent and hottest fad on the
market for weight loss supplements is one that’s
got Garcinia Cambogia extract in it.

Fast Weight loss July 11, 2014 at 2:15 am

All kidding aside, imagine if you could have a metabolism with the speed of light from
simply eating healthy foods and taking just ONE dietary supplement that resulted in looking
and feeling great. The act of binge eating for those two days helps the h – CG to enter the system.

Go ahead and find out if you’re pregnant early; you will be glad you did.
You do not want to wait as the sooner you know the sooner you can visit your doctor.

Other features of this i – Phone diet app include – daily
info for net carbs, calories, fat, saturated fat,
protein, sugars, sodium and fiber intake, water
tracking, daily weight tracking, daily BMI monitoring,
pie chart with nutrition breakdown, various reports, full screen graphs, and more.
Be sure to follow these HCG diet tips, and your frustration will be at a minimum and your success at a maximum.
guidelines of the FDA so ensure that you buy from an online
reputable dealer. They both eliminate carbohydrates of all kinds, so don’t think that all the Wheat Belly
diet that you can have rice or potatos. People overlook the dangers of weight loss injections when such claims are made.
The HCG hormone stimulates the hypothalamus gland, which regulates your metabolism.

spray tan kits to buy July 13, 2014 at 12:43 am

If you live around Manchester and are on the lookout for
a top quality spray tan salon experience then you might want a few tips on how to pinpoint the
right salon for you in Manchester. Meanwhile
someone who looks like they get outside a lot and exercise.
I have noticed that a tan created by a lotion can take up to two hours
to fully develop while spray tanning is instant.
The airbrush is attached to a bottle that holds the skin colorant, which is
pushed out through the end of the airbrush by an air compressor.

Turns out there are “spray tans” and “sunless tans”.
First and foremost, never spray the face first especially if they have never had a spray tan before
and don’t know what to expect. In the United States, many people consider a variety
of options. But each persons skin is unique and their skin will behave differently under the effects of the spray tanning fluid.
The soft mitts often found in pharmacies are the best as nylon scrubbers
can leave you with streaks. If you are not a person who enjoys going to the
beach for tanning, then such products may just be what you need.

hcg weight loss atlanta July 27, 2014 at 8:29 am

A fetus must have a great deal of energy to keep up with the speed of growth for a healthy child,and HCH helps to produce that.
They are typically produced out of the country in places such as India.
There is also an eating regimen that you will have to follow very closely.
Decide for yourself whether this may be the answer that will help you
loose the weight that you have been struggling to shed.

Simeons observed that boys who were treated with HCG lost
excess weight by eating much less without any hunger pangs.
Stress was one of the leading factors that prevent
both men and women from losing weight. What is
the diabetic diet that will reverse the symptoms of
diabetes and improve insulin resistance. Equal number of diet
pills is accessible in the pharmaceutical industry. In an ideal world
all health supplements would be regulated by the appropriate and soon they will be.
Yet, you may find more advantages with a good HCG plan.