30+ Healthy Kids Snacks For After School

With most parents being so busy today, sometimes it’s difficult to find time to rustle up healthy kids snacks.

This is particularly true during the period from when the children come home from school, and dinner time. With dinner to prepare, taking time to put together healthy snacks for kids is almost impossible.

However, with the right preparation, when hungry kids burst through the door after school, you’ll already have a few healthy snacks on hand to curtail their hunger until dinner.

I’d suggest designating one area of your refrigerator for your kids snacks, where anything in that area is ready to be enjoyed by them alone.

But, what makes healthy snacks for kids?

Well, the best snacks for kids are those that  offer a complex carbohydrate and a source of protein to keep them sustained through to dinner…

Here are my favorite healthy kids snacks

sxc.hu: jr3

#1 Fruity kebabs – thread pineapple, grapes, melon balls, dried fruit, strawberries, or mango chunks onto skewers or toothpicks.

#2 Crudités platter – choose a selection of veg such as sliced carrots, sugar snap peas, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, baby corn, bell pepper, and serve with a guacamole dip.

#3 Yoghurt lollipops – mix berries with natural yoghurt, place into small paper cups, with a craft stick in the centre, then freeze until ready to eat. Or, try this frozen yoghurt lollipop recipe.

#4 Celery logs – peanut butter spread onto sticks of celery with raisins sprinkled on top.

#5 Savoury kebabs – thread alternate pieces of lean ham, cucumber, mozzarella, and tomatoes onto skewers or toothpicks.

#6 Any dried fruit – cranberries, apricots, bananas, kiwi, strawberries, raisins, pineapple, or mango, served in small portions.

#7 Tuna sticks – mix tuna with natural yoghurt and herbs, then spread onto celery sticks.

#8 Healthy mini muffins – such as this carrot and muesli mini muffin recipe.

#9 Mixed food platter – with a selection of cheese cubes, fruit slices, raw veggies, suitable dip, dried fruit, nuts, mini bread sticks, and yoghurt.

#10 Mexican egg wraps – make scrambled egg as normal, add a little Tabasco sauce during cooking, then fill the warmed wholegrain tortilla wrap, roll up, and cut into diagonal shapes.

#11 Fruit sorbet – place small cups of whole orange juice into the freezer, then eat as sorbet when ready.

#12 Home made trail mix – with a selection of raisins, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, and a few choc chips.

#13 Fruit smoothies – made with natural yoghurt, a little milk, and any fruit such as berries, mango, watermelon, or banana.

#14 Popcorn – with added cheese, or herbs for extra flavouring.

#15 Creamy banana wrap – mix reduced fat cream cheese, with honey, spread over warmed wholegrain tortillas, arrange sliced banana on top, roll up, and slice into bite sized pieces.

#16 Yoghurt sundae – using layers of natural yoghurt, berries, nuts, and a few chocolate chips in tall glasses.

#17 Home made mini pizza – topped with tomato purée, leftover veggies, and a little grated cheese.

#18 Spinach pin-wheels – fill wholegrain tortillas with spinach and reduced fat ricotta cheese, roll up, and slice into triangles.

#19 Mini pita pockets – toast pita breads, then split open, spread with hummus, and top with grated carrot.

#20 Apple sauce dips – cut ‘solders’ of toasted wholegrain bread and use for dipping into unsweetened apple sauce.

#21 Small cups of pasta salad – using leftover cooked pasta, make a salad by adding sliced cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, sweetcorn, grated carrot, pine nuts; then add an olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and herb dressing.

#22 Healthy baking – experiment with your favourite recipes by substituting some of the fat with apple sauce, and using half white flour, half wholewheat flour. You can also add some oats, dried fruit, and nuts.

#23 Creamy veggie wrap – fill wholegrain tortillas with reduced fat cream cheese and leftover veggies, then roll up and cut into triangles.

#24 Mini bread rolls – topped with tomato purée, basil and garlic, and baked for a few minutes in the oven.

#25 Healthy granola bars.

#26 Soya nuts – served in small containers.

#27 Mini wholegrain crackers – topped with lean ham, cheese, and cherry tomatoes.

#28 Pita triangles – made using wholegrain pita’s, and dunked into tzatziki or hummus dips.

#29 Toasted crusty bread – spread with peanut butter.

#30 Frozen fruit – try frozen grapes, berries, or banana for a healthy sweet treat.

#31 Home made healthy cookies – try these great recipe for oatmeal-raisin cookies or monkey bars.

#32 Quesadillas – made using wholegrain burritos, filled with baked beans and cheese, fold up, then toast in a sandwich press, and serve cut into wedges.

What are your favourite snacks you give to your children?

Blake December 2, 2008 at 8:31 am

great snack ideas for kids…and for me! I’m gonna try and make those granola bars from #25.

Blake’s last blog post..A Fiber Reminder

Melanie December 2, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Hey Blake,

Yeah, it’s actually a while since I made those granola bars myself, but I really enjoyed them. I hope you enjoy!

Hi Tanya.

If you go to the recipe link the picture of the lollipops looks amazing. Sometimes I also freeze yoghurt and mixed berries in a bowl for a healthy dessert option – very simple!

Tanya December 2, 2008 at 10:05 am

Love this list. The yogurt lollipops idea is my fave :-)

Tanya’s last blog post..Danielle Spicy Carrot Crispy Veggie Chips

TwinToddlersDad December 7, 2008 at 2:43 pm

I just discovered your blog. I really like it!

I really enjoyed your ideas about the healthy snacks. The frozen yogurt lollipops sound great. Recently, we started freezing vitamin D fortified OJ in small yogurt cups (~1.76 oz). This was because my twins were going crazy over frozen fruit bars which do not anything but sugar and a little vitamin C. Compared to these frozen bars, I realized the frozen OJ was packed with many more nutrients without a lot of sugar and calories.

I also like #28 on your list – Pita triangles. We found pita chips in the store recently; now we use them instead of chips for the whole family.

I am linking to you on my blog. Also giving you a SU

TwinToddlersDad’s last blog post..Simple Recipes – Leftover Turkey Soup With Long Grain Wild Rice

Melanie December 8, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Hey Twin Toddlers Dad,

I’m glad you found the blog! Frozen orange juice is such a great idea – totally healthy treat, and your kids won’t even realise it’s ‘healthy!’

Thanks for linking to me, and for the SU!! :-)

Paul December 11, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Melanie,

Great list and I have to say I am not going to save these awesome treats for the just the kids! If you don’t mind Anne and I would like to share your post with our weight loss group.

Your Friends,

Anne and Paul Sorgi

Paul’s last blog post..Dow Chemical to Keep string of Dividend Payments alive on the backs of 11,000 Unemployed!

Melanie December 11, 2008 at 1:00 pm

Hey Paul,

I’m more than happy for you to share this list with your group. I had a look at your own website – I love that you’ve set up the weight loss group. Is it a face-to-face group, or an online ‘cyber’ meeting?

If you’d like to also share the link to dietriffic.com with the other group members, I’d be VERY happy!!! :-)

Paul December 11, 2008 at 1:13 pm

The Group is face to face. It is a “Challenge” among the parents of the cheer leading gym my daughter attends. We have 24 active participants that meet during the teams practice to share ideas and get support. Our next weigh in is on Sunday so stay tuned I expect some great results! We will send your link in our next newsletter.

We Appreciate You,

Anne and Paul Sorgi

Taylor December 12, 2008 at 2:38 am

Hey, just started reading your blog & I love it. I’ll be a freshmen, majoring in dietetics in the fall so i’m really interested in all this stuff.
I definately will be a frequent reader! :]

– Taylor

Maggie December 12, 2008 at 5:06 am

These are great snack ideas! I’m thinking that even my grown-up kids might enjoy some of these when they get home from work. :) I’ve been doing snacks and light things for them from the recipes in the Cooking with All Things Trader Joe’s cookbook. It makes for something different and the recipes are all pretty easy to whip up.

Melanie December 12, 2008 at 5:53 am

Paul,
Thank you! Best wishes for the next group meeting!

Hey Taylor,
Great to hear from you! It’s always good to have a fellow dietetics student around, I hope your studies go well!

Hi Maggie,
I’m glad you liked the list, these are definitely snacks the whole family can enjoy. Do you have any other snack suggestions?

HealthyMom May 19, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Great article on healthful snacks for kids.
I would add one more and that is Gudernoobs made by WooHoo Foods.
They have omega-3s and come in 4 varieties.
Thanks!

Melanie May 25, 2011 at 9:38 am

I haven’t heard of these, are you living in the US? Perhaps we don’t get them here in the UK. What are the contents? Thanks for sharing.

Jenna August 24, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Great suggestions! I love the yogurt sundae!! I use YoCrunch yogurt, because it already has many of the items included: granola, fruit and yogurt. Plus, it’s low-fat. Yum!

Melanie August 25, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Me too, Jenna :-) Wouldn’t they be cheaper to make by yourself, though? We don’t have YoCrunch in the Uk, but I find similar yogurts to be terribly overpriced.