7 Ways Sitting At Your Mac Can Help You Lose Weight

If you’re reading this post I imagine you’re at least ‘mildly‘ computer literate, which means if you’re trying to lose weight you already have a distinct advantage.

Research has shown that people who use computers in conjunction with a weight loss programme lose three times more weight than people who don’t.

So, how can you maximise this weight loss potential while sitting at your computer desk?

Here are 7 ways you can use your computer to lose weight:

#1 To get more info
Search online for articles, recipes, cooking demos (Start Cooking), quizzes, case studies, and weight loss programmes to suit your personal needs.

There is such a wealth of info out there, and if used correctly the Internet can be a great resource…just remember to sift out the rubbish!

Sites I enjoy:

#2 To download ebooks, fitness videos, and audio programmes
For some of the best ebooks around, check out Clickbank, or do a Google search for ‘weight loss ebook.’

For fitness videos I think Exercise TV do a great job. They have a range of different videos to download, or you can purchase their DVDs to use offline.

For high quality audio programmes iTunes rock! Check out iTunesU for educational downloads, or search through the categories to find ‘podcasts’ or ‘audiobooks’ on the topic you’re looking for (note: you will have to download iTunes)

#3 To subscribe to email newsletters
If you don’t already know, when you sign up for my free ebook, “The Lifestyle Makeover Guide,” you also receive a newsletter.

It normally goes out once each week, and contains many tips, such as the secrets of skinny people, or how to fit exercise into a busy schedule.

So, if you’re after up-to-date, reliable info to encourage you, and help you stay on track, I urge you to subscribe…what have you got to lose, it’s completely FREE!!

#4 To visit weight loss forums
This is a great way of meeting people who know exactly what you’re struggling with, and you can learn so much from others who are already losing weight successfully.

Weight loss forums are also a good way of creating accountability for your actions, because the other forum members will take an interest in how things are going for you.

Check out Wellsphere and join the groups you’re interested in, such as the weight loss community, or the healthy eating community.

#5 To meet a weight loss buddy
This is one of my favourite ideas!

Visit the site weight loss buddy, where they will hook you up with a weight loss partner for free.

The idea is that you motivate each other to lose weight, and hold each other accountable for your actions.

#6 To use a spreadsheet
You can easily record the calorie intake of your meals, snacks, and drinks using a spreadsheet.

Try to do this for at least 3 days to get a good idea of how you can make improvements.

Use Calorie King to calculate the calories and nutrients in your food, and then enter the data into your spreadsheet, to give an overview of how healthy your diet is.

If you want to organise all your info in the one place, I’d suggest using the same spreadsheet to track your weekly weight measurements, exercise times, and your weight loss goals.

Research suggests keeping a food diary can double weight loss, so keeping track of your meals really is worth the extra effort.

#7 To get help from an online weight loss expert
With more and more people using computers, email coaching is becoming a very popular option.

The big bonus is that you can get personalised information at a fraction of the cost of a face-to-face meeting, and it’s all from the convenience of your own home.

However, please do be careful to check out the credentials of the person, don’t assume that just because they say they’re a ‘specialist’ that they are!

Here are 5 useful resources I’ve discovered:

#1 Gyminee – sign up to track your workouts, monitor your food intake, set goals, and meet new friends.

#2 Nutrition Data – track your food intake, analyze recipes, or estimate your personal nutritional needs.

#3 Journal to Success – there are several calculators to help you lose weight on this site, including BMI, ideal body weight, and ideal weight range.

You can also track your progress using the online journal to record food intake, weekly weight, and fitness activities.

#4 Free weight loss calculators – this site provides lots of free calculators and tools to help you lose weight.

#5 Tweet What You Eat – if you’re a Twitter fan this is a great tool to help you keep track of what you’re eating. It allows you to log your food intake, and calories associated with each food.

Alternatively, you could try Tweight - simply tweet your weight loss goals, and send your updates. You can then check your history to see how much progress you’ve been making.

Have you discovered any great weight loss tools? Please share them with us.

If you found this article useful, please consider submitting it to StumbleUpon!

*works with PC too!! ;-)

Fitness Guy December 16, 2008 at 12:28 pm

What a great online list. I always knew that in the back of my head there were a lot of things that I could find online but you sure nailed them all. I especially like the tweeting what you eat (I do only occasionally) and keeping a fitness diary (that is gold!).

Fitness Guy’s last blog post..Stretching to Prevent Injuries

Melanie December 16, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Hey Fitness Guy,

Yeah, I really like the Tweeting one too. There are so many resources on the internet, it’s difficult to find the best ones, but this post gives a bit of an overview at least.

Andre Blackman December 16, 2008 at 12:51 pm

I will second that, great list here! A great resource for health educators as well who focus on nutritional components. The wonderful thing about Twitter integrated tools is that you have so many people that you can connect with to help you through your goals.

Melanie December 16, 2008 at 1:00 pm

Hey Andre,

Thanks for stopping by!

Yeah, Twitter is a whole new arena for ideas and opportunities, isn’t it? I know I don’t use it to my best advantage!

Jason December 17, 2008 at 2:22 am

Hello – In regards to #2, another great source for high-quality downloadable workouts is MyPypeline.com (http://www.mypypeline.com). We have over 300 workouts available across Yoga, Spinning, Core Stability, and many other categories that can be streamed in a browser or downloaded to an iPod. We also offer workout tracking tools, free 6 – 8 week Training Programs, and the ability to meet other fitness enthusiasts.

Blake December 17, 2008 at 2:24 am

Great tips. I like to use a simple spreadsheet to keep track of my workouts and eating. It works for me.

Armen December 17, 2008 at 8:02 am

I suppose with a post title like that, you’ll be looking for your own Mac sometime soon, instead of being envious of mine?!

@Blake
When do you do keep track of it all? Is it through the day, or last thing at night and how long does it take you?

Tom December 17, 2008 at 8:35 am

It’s amazing how much health information can be found on the internet. Keeping track of your caloric intake and exercise in a spreadsheet is a great idea. It definitely helps show progress, and find where some trouble spots may be.

Melanie December 17, 2008 at 1:00 pm

Hi Jason,
Thanks for the link to My Pypeline.

Hey Blake & Tom,
Personally I think it’s hard to beat the spreadsheet version, although some of the sites available have very nifty functions, it’s not so handy if you can’t get online every day – kindof defeats the purpose of tracking your progress since it’s supposed to be daily.

Armen,
Not sure yet, you haven’t quite convinced me that Mac is best!!! But, I would like a new laptop…pink Dell anyone??? :-)

Melanie February 3, 2009 at 11:57 am

Hi Joyce,
It actually depends on your current weight and height. We have a calculation you can use to estimate how many calories you need, then you take away a certain amount of calories, and this helps you lose weight.

If you want to send me a private message I am happy to work out the calculation for you.

Then you could perhaps keep a food diary for a few days and use one of the online programs to work out how many calories you are eating daily. This will give you a good starting point for seeing any areas in your diet that could be improved.

By the way, I don’t agree with your husband! No one is destined to be overweight, you have the choice to change that, and I believe with the right mental attitude and a bit of help in terms of diet, anyone can lose weight.

The other thing is that evidence indicates losing simply 5 – 10% of your current weight is hugely beneficial to health, so that’s a really good reason to try to lose at least a little.

Try to think of weight loss more in terms of making new healthy changes that you can keep up for life, rather than quick fix solutions, such as most diets.

For example, if you drink sodas every day, simply switching to water could save up to 500 calories or more per day. It’s small changes like this that really add up, and it doesn’t take any extra time to carry out.

I’ve send you a private message so that you can email me back.

Joyce February 3, 2009 at 11:03 am

I was told that I work too hard at trying to lose weight. It is very confusing when one web site tells you to eat 1200 calories, another 1500 calories, then another 1800 calories. Who is right. I can’t seem to lose weight, so I try something else. Should I stop trying so hard. Or is there a secret that I’m missing. Maybe my husband is right, maybe I should be fat and nothing will change that. I still think there is an answer out there.