10 Easy Snacks for a Well Balanced Diet

If you’re always on the go, having healthy easy snacks on hand can be the life saver of your diet!

Small and easy snacks between meals can help you avoid overeating, and if you choose well they can even increase the nutritional variety in your diet.

Even if your main meals are pretty well balanced, it’s easy to put your total diet out of sync with a few poor choices in snacks.

Today’s challenge is to choose healthy easy snacks…

Go for foods that don’t contain too much fat, sugar or salt, and look out for those that provide you with more calcium, fibre, vitamins and minerals.

Read food labels carefully and choose those containing:

• Fat content not more than 3 grams per 100 grams
  • Sugar content not more than 2 grams per 100 grams
  • Sodium not more than 0.1 grams per 100g

10 healthy easy snacks you can eat anytime:

#1 Fresh fruit, or fruit salad

#2 Raw veggies

#3 Half sandwich with wholegrain bread, filled with salad and lean meat

#4 Small cup of homemade vegetable soup

#5 Wholegrain crackers with cottage cheese

#6 Small handful of mixed seeds

#7 Wholegrain tortilla wrap, filled with hummus and salad

#8 Small handful of unsalted, unroasted nuts

#9 Boiled egg

#10 Small handful of dried fruit

For more healthy snack ideas, check out my previous posts:

What are your favourite healthy snacks?

Christy January 29, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Very nice. These are great snacking tips. Love the site!

Christy’s last blog post..I Slept So Good…

Melanie January 30, 2009 at 9:37 am

Hey Christy,
Thank you! :-) Do you have any snack tips?

Geraldine May 16, 2011 at 10:14 am

Hi Melanie, I have recently joined your site (today) and have been skimming my way through your site, as a matter of interest, when you suggest a small cup of veg’ soup, in terms of mls what amount would this be? eg is it 200mls or 100mls? I am 10 months post gastric bypass surgery, I average about 300 calories per day, my main issues are geting enough nutrients in eg protein and vegetables, I only seem to be able to consume about 1 1/2 tblspns of mixed veg’ and about 1 tblspn of finely chopped protein in a evening meal, at lunch it is usually a very smal salad, toast with tuna or soup or veg. Breakfast consists of 1 slice of toast.

Thats it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Geraldine

Melanie May 25, 2011 at 9:22 am

Hi Geraldine,
That’s a good questions. It is roughly equal to 8 fluid ounces (237mls). How are you feeling after your surgery?

Helen June 1, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Hello I am only 13 years old but I love to make snacks and foods. But I’m not so good with oven. Do you have any easy snacks that I can make with ought and oven?
(please reply to my E-mail. helen.gearly@gmail.com)

Melanie June 4, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Hi Helen,
I’ve written quite a bit on snack ideas in the past, I’m sure you’ll find lots of ideas if you check out these article:

healmyselfnow.com November 28, 2012 at 3:17 am

Oh my goodness! a tremendous article dude. Thank you However I am experiencing concern with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss problem? Anybody who is aware of kindly respond. Thnkx

Annmarie January 9, 2014 at 8:00 pm

What’s up to every one, the contents present at this
web page are truly amazing for people experience, well, keep up the nice work fellows.

homemade solar panels January 18, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Greetings! Very helpful advice within this post! It’s the
little changes that produce the most significant changes.
Many thanks for sharing!