8 Swift and Healthy Breakfast Ideas

Do you normally eat breakfast?

Many people find it difficult to fit into the busyness of their morning.

But, it doesn’t have to be a complicated meal to be nutritious, and you can easily vamp up your breakfast without taking any more time out of your morning.

Today’s challenge is to plan a different and healthy breakfast

It’s so easy to get stuck in a rut of eating the same foods over and over again, so varying your breakfast it a simple way to increase the variety of your diet.

Here are 8 quick and easy healthy breakfast ideas:

#1 Small pot of natural yoghurt, topped with muesli, piece of fresh fruit

#2 Weetbix with soy milk and a piece of fruit

#3 Wholegrain toast, sliced peaches and cottage cheese

#4 Mixed berry smoothie with oats – could make night before

#5 Wholegrain toast with peanut butter and a fresh fruit salad

#6 Porridge with a sprinkling of chopped nuts and dried fruit

#7 Baked beans with wholegrain toast and a serving of natural yoghurt

#8 Spinach, tomato, and mushroom omelet

For more breakfast ideas check out this previous post.

How will you add more variety to your breakfast?

Armen Shirvanian January 26, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Reading this brought many food ideas into my mind, and reminded me of items I wanted to try. Mixing yoghurt with fruit is something I have not done, so I will see if it comes out tasting reasonably. The mixed berry smoothie with oats example has me thinking that I will at least make a berry smoothie, if not with oats as well, and has reminded me that I wanted to make a chocolate shake with chocolate ice cream. The omelet with spinach, tomato, and mushroom is another item I look to try out, possibly adding in onions. I am going to save this list, and my response, in a file, so that I remember to get the ingredients and make them.

Armen Shirvanian’s last blog post..Mind-Mapping Your Day or Week

Cathy in NZ January 26, 2009 at 5:58 pm

for many years I ate just 2 pieces of toast with some spread usually marmalade and cup of coffee – that was when I was rather unwell and everything was a huge effort!
2004 there were many changes in my health which lead to fitness/weight loss and I mentioned earlier problems with gym trainers notion of food intake.
I decided I had find a breakfast that would set me up for the day and wasn’t difficult to create…..I chose porridge done in the microwave…..at first I ate it traditionally with milk/brown sugar. Then I ditched the sugar and added maybe tablespoon of commercially prepared museli, cranberries & cinnamon. Recently the museli brand I like wasn’t on the shelves….

Currently it’s:
oats, oatbran & pinch of salt – add water & sliced up frozen 1/2 banana
microwave 2.5mins
take stir in a scoop of sunflower seeds, sliced almonds & cranberries & sprinkle with cinnamon
leave to cool
add milk
enjoy

I am not missing the museli

I don’t think I’m spelling Museli correctly – it’s hot and it’s after 9pm at night….

Melanie January 26, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Hi Armen,
Now I know this is supposed to be a healthy eating blog…but chocolate shake made using ice cream, now you’ve got me!!! :-) Sounds like a delicious ‘treat!’

Glad the suggestions caused more great ideas in your mind!!

Hey Cathy,
I love your recipe suggestion…sounds delicious, and I imagine much nicer with all those great ingredients than your previous 2 slices of toast!

Sometimes I do like to have toast myself, but I find if I’m going away for the day oats are the ultimate keep-hunger-at-bay breakfast.

Cathy in NZ January 27, 2009 at 5:21 am

Melanie
I don’t actually have a ‘proper’ toaster (when I had a flatmate, I had the toasted sandwich maker & he owned the toaster)
I do ‘toast’ bread in the maker but I have to start with a ‘doorstop’ slice because it gets flattened or end up with a very flat cracker….but mainly I will create a very nice toasted sandwich with whatever at the time. It’s a handy way to have a ‘hot lunch’ or in my case a ‘light dinner’
I thought I would miss the toaster but I don’t because it was such a handy way to have something I was prone to doing that….now I have something else like some yoghurt/fruit which doesn’t leave me open to putting loads of ‘spreads’ on TWO pieces of toast. even though you can toast ONE piece it seems silly to waste the power with one empty SLOT :-)))))

Melanie January 27, 2009 at 10:01 am

Hi Cathy,
I see your logic!! At present we have a similar dilema to yourself, I don’t have a toasted sandwich maker. So, I’ll toast the bottom bread in the toaster, then add filling, pop under the grill until melted, and then add the top half of bread, grill for a few seconds to brown, and it’s done!!

Really it’s a bit of a hassle, but it is amazing how you can work out a new way of doing something when you have to. Most of us have far too many utensils and equipment in our kitchens anyway!

Armen Shirvanian January 27, 2009 at 11:13 am

Melanie, I wanted to follow up on my comment about foods I would try. I went ahead and made an omelet with tomato, mushroom, and spinach, and might not be making plain eggs anymore. I will probably add in onions next time as well. Your breakfast idea may have sparked the addition of a beneficial habit here. Also, about the chocolate shake, I had made it multiple times in the past using milk, chocolate ice cream, and a small amount of ice, and then put those items in a juicer device to grind up until the ice was small enough to drink. It can be tough to stop drinking it.

Armen Shirvanian’s last blog post..Mind-Mapping Your Day or Week

Tom Parker - Free Fitness Tips January 28, 2009 at 9:22 am

I love porridge for breakfast. I usually add a scoop of chocolate protein powder to mine and then top it off with blueberries. Tastes absolutely fantastic and is a very nutritious way to start the day.

Tom Parker – Free Fitness Tips’s last blog post..From Vitamin A to Vitamin E: 40+ Vitamin Rich Foods

Melanie January 28, 2009 at 10:47 am

Hey Armen,
Great news! I’m glad the post sparked new ideas in your mind…keep up the good work!! :-)

Hi Tom,
That sounds like having dessert for breakfast…but it’s healthy of course! I like the sound of that, although I don’t think I could go for chocolate flavours too early in the morning.

Isabelle July 30, 2011 at 1:33 am

What would you say is the healthiest breakfast food?

Melanie August 4, 2011 at 10:07 am

Without a doubt, eggs! I have them boiled most mornings now.