50 Names for Sugar You May Not Know

Most of us enjoy sweet stuff occasionally. But, if you’re trying to cut back, it’s really helpful to know the different names for sugar, otherwise you could end up eating much more than you expected.

Sugar is added to so many food products, and with such a large number of other names for ‘sugar,’ it can be really difficult to know what to look out for on the food label.

flickr: dhammza

So, here is a list to help you identify the different forms of sugar in your food:

1. Barley malt
  45. Sorghum syrup
  46. Sucrose
  47. Sugar
  48. Treacle
  49. Turbinado sugar
  50. Yellow sugar

What other names for sugar can you think of?

Did you realise there were so many different terms used? It’s no wonder reading food labels can be confusing at times!

Note: After reading this, you may also be interested in How to Reduce Sugar Intake or discovering if there is such a thing as Healthy Sugar.

Danielle March 27, 2009 at 12:09 am

I had no idea there were that many names for sugar! thanks for posting this!

Danielle’s last blog post..The weekend is in sight…

Melanie March 27, 2009 at 12:21 am

Hi Danielle,
I didn’t realise there were so many alternatives either. While is not necessary to totally avoid sugar, it’s useful to know what to look out for.

Cathy in NZ March 28, 2009 at 5:15 am

then of course, there’s the actual product that some how fails to mention anything….i.e. do those chup-pop (?sp) things actually any writing about sugar….I often hear people saying that

xyz is OK ’cause it says nuthink! so therefore it must be Ok!

I suspect there are other ways not to say all those words….like a – bet-ween something……so we are lured into believing it must be better because they have attached a good-thing to the product :-)

Sophie March 28, 2009 at 5:36 am

Great list Mel – some of these are really sneaky, like the Ethyl maltol and Diatase

Sophie’s last blog post..Italian lentil and chestnut stew

Bowl of Plenty March 28, 2009 at 5:52 am

An alternative name to “cane juice crystals” is “evaporated cane juice”.

Maija Haavisto March 28, 2009 at 7:54 am

E.g. sorbitol is a sugar alcohol (like its healthier cousin xylitol), not a sugar, strictly speaking.

Melanie March 28, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your comments.

Melanie April 1, 2009 at 7:00 pm

One80 Fitness,
Thank you for adding more to the list, it seems we could go on for a long time yet adding to this. It’s really quite scary how many different forms of sugar there are out there!

One80 Fitness April 1, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Great list! the list is so long. a few more off the top of the head you might see on a package are:

Raisin syrup
Apple Sugar
Amasake
Barbados sugar
Carbitol

One80 Fitness’s last blog post..Develop an Exercise Program

Linda Schultz April 5, 2009 at 5:02 am

One sugar substance I have discovered recently is sugar alcohol in so called sugar free candies. If you have any information about this sugar substance please let me know about it.

Melanie April 7, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Hi Linda,
I found this article which you should find helpful in understanding what sugar alcohols are and what they do in the body.

Deborah November 7, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Xanthan Gum is fermented corn sugar. Locust Bean Gum is a polysacharide made from the sugars galactos & mannose. Galactos is on the above list. Mannose is a hexose sugar monomer & I am unsure of the results when eaten.

Jennifer September 10, 2010 at 2:08 am

Im in a program for food addiction. We abstain from ALL flour & sugar. The second we have anything with a trace of either, we get UNCONTRALABLE cravings. I had heard that a certain brand of ranch dressing is abstinate. Well, I was wrong! I couldnt imagine why I couldnt stop eating & obessing about it. Well here maltodextrin is the first ingredient… Just goes to prove that I need to stay away from anything with a ingredient list… For now on the only dressing I will be using is good ole olive oil & apple cider vinagar…

Melanie September 17, 2010 at 8:57 am

Hi Jennifer,
What do you cover/do in your program for food addiction?

Tareah Davis December 4, 2010 at 4:41 am

Thanks for making this forum. I’m in 8th grade and doing a project on how much sugar is in the junk food we eat daily and this really helped! THANKS AGAIN!!

lenecen December 16, 2010 at 8:33 am

“We abstain from ALL flour & sugar. The second we have anything with a trace of either, we get UNCONTRALABLE cravings. I had heard that a certain brand of ranch dressing is abstinate. Well, I was wrong! I couldnt imagine why I couldnt stop eating & obessing about it.”
Are you sure that this is so?

guy thayer January 31, 2011 at 7:22 pm

an alternative to sugar is a plant called stevia, it is 300x sweeter than sugar. u can get it in powder form on line

TheGourmetCoffeeGuy May 3, 2011 at 4:35 am

It’s really amazing how much sugar is in just about everything you eat, buy at restaurants, canned food, and so on. Your list is excellent and further emphasizes the need to really watch sugar content before consuming foods. Eating sugar or any other food in moderation is the right thing to do but it is hard to do this when food sources contain so much sugar.
Very good post, important to raise awareness about this problem.

Melanie May 10, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Yes, it really is amazing when you stop to take a look at the ingredients of processed foods. I guess the best thing to do is avoid most processed foods.

hannah September 14, 2011 at 10:55 am

Agave is a slow release fructose syrup from the agave cactus. although not as bad as sugar, still a sugar derivitive. so if you are allergic to sugar or trying to obstain from it then add this to the list.

Melanie September 14, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Thanks Hannah.

Ford Raptor LED Light Bars April 8, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Rather instructive, look onward to coming back again.|

Rome April 10, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Very interesting. Many sneaky companies use these names to hide their sugar contents and deceive their customers. I had to do a double take on #40 because I believe the word is Mexican slang for a certain Lady part. I’m curious to find out the origin on this alternate word for sugar but afraid to look it up…

Amanda October 4, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Is sucrose the same as sucralose?

Melanie October 7, 2013 at 8:59 am

Hi Amanda,
Sucrose is the naturally occurring sugar, which we usually call table sugar. Sucralose is a sweetener, produced artificially.

Amanda October 7, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Thank you!

facebook October 19, 2013 at 5:57 am

of course like your web-site but you have to take a look at the spelling on several of your
posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it very bothersome to tell the
truth however I’ll surely come again again.

www.boilerrepairuk.Co.uk March 18, 2014 at 12:50 am

I wish that more homeowners could become more aware of the
very real dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Each year more than twenty people are killed by carbon monoxide escaping
from faulty central heating boilers together with hundreds more who suffer serious
ill health caused by it.

Amparo March 21, 2014 at 12:29 am

Let’s promote local businesses by making use of a nearby
‘man and his van’ to transport our heavy items of furniture.

http://datahub.io/user/j4521 May 1, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Remarkable issues here. I’m very glad to peer your article.
Thanks so much and I’m having a look forward
to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

winery tours melbourne May 11, 2014 at 4:52 am

Thanks for sharing such a good thought, paragraph is nice, thats why i have read it entirely

Industrial Shredders web page May 14, 2014 at 12:21 am

First of all I would like to say awesome blog! I had a quick question that I’d
like to ask if you don’t mind. I was curious to
know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts prior to
writing. I’ve had trouble clearing my thoughts in getting
my thoughts out. I do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10
to 15 minutes are lost just trying to figure out how to
begin. Any recommendations or tips? Thanks!

Burwood Carpet Cleaning May 23, 2014 at 8:35 am

Good day! Would you mind if I share your blog
with my myspace group? There’s a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content.
Pleawe llet me know. Thank you

easy recipe May 25, 2014 at 10:07 am

It’s in fact very complex in this full of activity life to listen news on Television, thus I only use the wweb for that reason,
and take the most up-to-date news.

official Eternity Warriors 2 hack July 12, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.

Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! However, how
can we communicate?

body received July 15, 2014 at 3:25 am

When I initially left a comment I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments
are added- checkbox and from now on each time a comment is
added I get four emails with the same comment. There has to be a means you are able to remove me from that
service? Thanks!