Gallstones Diet: Tips for When You Need a Diet for Gallstones

Gallstones DietGallstones are no joke. No joke at all.

If you’ve come here looking for information, there’s a chance you’re in pain right now. Thus, I’m not going to bombard with everything about Gallstones.

What you’re after is advice which may prevent this pain ever returning, right?

We’ll get to that in just a moment.

If your gallbladder becomes inflamed, causing upper abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and fever symptoms, then you may need to go on a gallstones diet.

While these episodes are usually brief, they typically follow a fatty meal, which causes the gall bladder to contract.

So, what are gallstones?

Gallstones are made from cholesterol, bile pigments, calcium, or a mixture of these.

They are normally caused when the chemical balance of your bile contains too much cholesterol. This causes bile to form into small particles which may grow into gallstones.

Causes of gallstones

While we’re not fully sure why some people get gallstones, they tend to be most common in:

• Older age
  • Overweight people over 40 years of age
  • Women in general, and women who have been pregnant
  • Women taking oral contraceptives, or undergoing high-dose oestrogen therapy
  • People of Asian, or European origin, and native Americans
  • People who have recently lost weight – particularly if weight loss was very rapid
  • Diet factors: high fat, high cholesterol diet, or high intake of refined carbohydrates, such as white bread and cakes

Treatment for gallstones is required only if they cause inflammation of your gallbladder, block your bile ducts, or move from your bile ducts into your intestines.

3 tips to stop you needing a gallstones diet

#1 Eat a well balanced diet
Research shows that eating regular meals, containing small amounts of fat can help prevent gallstones.

Choose a healthy, balanced diet:

• Low in saturated fat (a fat free diet is not necessary)
  • Don’t eat foods high in cholesterol too frequently – these include liver, kidneys, eggs and prawns
  • Plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables (at least five portions per day)
  • Have regular servings of calcium rich foods (green leafy veg, low fat milk and dairy products)
  • Plenty of high fibre breads, cereals, pasta, rice etc, and moderate amounts of potatoes
  • Consume fat sources high in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, rather than saturated and trans fats
  • Avoid eating too many cakes, biscuits and other sweet confectionery on a regular basis
  • Use healthier cooking methods, such as grilling, boiling, baking, poaching or casseroling
  • Remove visible fat from meats prior to cooking, and opt for leaner cuts of meat where possible

#2 Maintain a healthy weight
If you are overweight this also increases the amount of cholesterol in your bile, and your chances of developing gallstones. Therefore try to stay as close to a healthy weight as possible.

Control your weight by eating a healthy diet, and taking plenty of regular exercise.

If you need to lose weight, do so slowly by aiming for a weight loss of  1-2 pounds per week.  Rapid weight loss (greater than 2 pounds per week) may increase your chances of gallstone formation and having to go on a gallstones diet.

#3 Exercise regularly
Increased levels of physical exercise may also help to reduce your risk of forming gallstones.

You should aim for at least 2 to 3 hours of moderate intensity physical activity per week.

Do you have any further questions about going on a gallstones diet? Or, would you like to add something to the discussion? I’d love to hear from you!

Katly April 24, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Hi there

I had my gallbladder removed. I have not been the same since. The worst thing that has ever happened to me.
Katly’s last blog post..It’s a BOY!

Melanie April 24, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Hi Katly,
I’m really sorry to hear that. What kind of after-effects are you having?

lisa younger May 4, 2009 at 3:01 am

I am really struggling to find a diet that i can have as i have gaulstones I was wondering if you coould give me some tips as i am fed up with eating lettuce already

Melanie May 5, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Hi Lisa,
I’ve detailed a basic outline for healthy eating with gallstones in this post.

What kind of extra help were you looking for?

becci May 5, 2009 at 10:54 pm

hi im a mum of 2 beautiful boys but ive recently been diagnosed with gallstones and im struggling to find meals that suit the whole family and was wondering if you could help me. i would be very grateful of any tips u could give me that would benefit the whole family thanks.

Melanie May 6, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Hi Becci,
What symptoms are you struggling with?

The diet for gallstones is really just a healthy eating message, which the whole family should be following anyway, except that your diet would perhaps need to be a little lower in fat than that of your childrens.

Katly May 7, 2009 at 9:13 am

Hi Mel
I get heart burn all the time, am constipated at times and generally feel that my right side hurts at times. Hard to sleep on my right. But I am back at the Gym again started this week and slowly slowly my health is improving, however besides the above I have had foot and leg problems from actually going to the gym. This is also on the mend and that is why I was able to start working out again.

Katly’s last blog post..It’s a BOY!

Melanie May 7, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Hey Katly,
I’m so glad to hear that your health is starting to improve now. It must have been a difficult time.

I have written a post in the past about acid reflux, which you may find useful: http://www.dietriffic.com/2008/09/19/heartburn/

Also, in terms of constipation, do you drink lots of fluids and eat plenty of fibre? Around 8-10 cups of fluid per day is recommended.

You could also experiment with the two different forms of fibre – soluble fibre found in oats, beans, peas, lentils, fruits and vegetables; and insoluble fibre found in wholemeal/wholegrain bread, breakfast cereals, crackers, pasta, and also brown rice, wheat and bran – these foods should help to ease constipation somewhat.

Probiotic yoghurts may also be beneficial in helping to cultivate healthy bacteria in your gut.

Anyway, keep up the good work, it’s great that you’ve starting working out again, and I hope you continue to feel better.

Holly May 19, 2009 at 9:34 am

I just wanted to thank you for posting this list. I have heard low and fat-free diets are the way to go, and I was having trouble finding things with no fat! Lol. I just found out that I am about 4 weeks pregnant, and am already having quite the adventure trying to satisfy my cravings while staying low in fat. I was wondering if you could tell me HOW MUCH saturated fat is too much? Or how much is pretty reasonable? I will avoid it all together if possible, but was just curious about this. Thank you again for posting this, it has been SOOOO helpful…

Melanie May 19, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Hi Holly,
Thank you so much for your comment, nice to have you here on Dietriffic, and congrats on your pregnancy!

If you compare food labels per 100 grams, something that has 5g of saturated fat or more per 100g is considered a lot. While a product that has 1g of saturated fat or less per 100g is considered a little.

It’s not necessary to avoid fat completely, if fact some in the diet is healthy, but trying to choose healthier options where possible is a good idea.

As a general guideline, the average women should eat no more than 70g of fat per day, 20g or less of this should be coming from saturated fat.

For further tips, check out this article on reading food labels: http://www.dietriffic.com/2007/04/14/the-lowdown-on-food-labels/

I hope this was helpful!

catherine davis September 3, 2009 at 5:27 pm

I have just found out I have gallstones. I have changed to a low fat diet a year ago and have lost 5 stone. Could this be why i have gallstones.

Melanie September 4, 2009 at 10:14 am

Hi Catherine,
It would be very difficult to say without talking to you directly.

Guidelines for weight-loss state 1-2 pounds of weight loss per week is a safe amount. So, if you followed that you could potentially lose 48 – 96 pounds in one year. (5 stone = 70 pounds)

How quickly did you lose the 5 stone? Has your doctor suggested any reasons you may have developed gallstones?

Melissa September 9, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Hi, I just found you blog, I didn’t know that taking contraceptives could cause gallstones.

Also, this article (http://www.healthandage.com/gallstones-after-removal-of-your-gallbladder-pain-post-cholecystectomy) says that not all food are good for all people, how can I know which food I can tolerate ?

Melanie September 10, 2009 at 11:57 am

Hi Melissa,
Do you have gallstones? You don’t need to worry about a diet for gallstones if you don’t. Remember treatment for gallstones is required only if they cause inflammation of your gallbladder, block your bile ducts, or move from your bile ducts into your intestines.

Ryan February 27, 2010 at 5:36 am

Hi im rare lol.. im 22 and a male and i have been struggling with major pains for the last 5mnths n just found out today its caused from gallstones. (u would think they would have figured that out by now..). however i cant see myself eating only vegies and fruit, can i also eat chicken and other things (grilled or broiled), and finally i am worried cuz i am so young and love to eat im not obese but i like all kinds of foods n they tell me i may have to have gallbladder removed what can i expect afterward s???

tanya pegler April 28, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Hi my name is tanya I was diagnosed about month ago with gallstones I am also 13 weeks pregnant I have found foods that I can eat but its main meals I am stuck wit I use to love chicken now I can’t stand it please can you help I’m stuck
Thanks x

Melanie April 29, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Hi Tanya,
Congratulations on your pregnancy! That’s wonderful.

Are you having sickness due to your pregnancy? As long as you are eating plenty of fruits, vegetables, high fibre grains, with a little protein each day you should be fine. It’s about getting the balance overall.

Do you like legumes? They are a great source of protein if you’re struggling with chicken, or other meats, right now. Check out this article, what are legumes. Let me know if there’s anything else you’re struggling with.

antonette May 29, 2011 at 8:26 pm

i just found out 2 days ago that i have gallstone, i am now 6 months pregnant, i was wondering if you can give me some list of food that i can eat.Dieting while pregnant is not fun at all.. instead of looking at the labels on food for 0g of fat is there any other things i should look for thats healthy for me and baby.?

Melanie June 4, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Hi Antonette,
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

As I said in my article, you do not need to follow a no fat diet, it just needs to be reduced in fat. Here are some of the main principles:

Choose a healthy, balanced diet:

Low in saturated fat (a fat free diet is not necessary)
Plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables (at least five portions per day)

Best wishes with the rest of your pregnancy.

No'Amie August 10, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Hi, I’m No’Amie and I’m 15 years old. I have had Galstones for 2 years now..& We have gone to all kinds of Dr.’s and now we finally found out that I do have galstones. What is a good healthy diet I can eat so I won’t activate my stomach? My stomach hurts all the time.

Melanie August 18, 2011 at 8:26 am

Thanks for your comment. It’s basically the diet I’ve outlined above. That is the treatment. And, if you notice any specific foods are causing pain, you should cut them out for a while to see if that helps. Are you going to see a dietitian at your local hospital?

MaryelaIsSick September 19, 2011 at 3:30 am

Hi Melanie. I am a twenty four year old female. i was diagnosed with gallstones in june and have had regular attacks with vomiting. one doctor said i should quit taking my birthcontrol just in case it was harming my liver but another doctor said it would be ok to continue using them. I’ve changed the way i eat. I havn’t had red meat in months. With every attack i also belch a lot. recently my attacks are slightly more tolerable(stopped going to the e.r.) but i have been belching a lot more and my stomach always rumbles like when you’re starving. i dont have insurance and am waithing to see how soon i can have this surgery but i am also scared because i know several people that feel just as bad after surgery.

please help

Melanie October 11, 2011 at 10:38 am

Hi Mary, I’m sorry to hear about your recent health problems. It’s good that your recent attacks have been more tolerable, though. I don’t think you should be scared about the surgery, you will always hear more about the horror stories, than the great success stories on things like this. You just need to focus on taking the best care of yourself right now, and trying to eat the best diet you can under the circumstances, which doesn’t stimulate these attacks. Best wishes, and let me know how it goes.

ps if you have any specific queries, let me know.

mini November 30, 2011 at 2:30 pm

hi melanie..my mom has got gallstones for last three years..n shez nt comfortable with the typical treatment(operation) of it as shez weak enuf..n sudden severe pain is really not tolerable by her..please do suggest some natural ways to dissolve gallstone n get it removed from the gall bladder..and one more imp thing..melanie, my mom feels infections or wounds out of gallstones..please suggest some eatables or beverages that would make her feel comfort..please help…thanx…

Melanie December 2, 2011 at 10:38 am

Hi Mini, Is your mum following a diet like I’ve suggested in this article?

mini December 10, 2011 at 6:20 am

yes Melanie..shez on lite diet only..shez taking apple juice, vegetables soup, dalia, and pulses in liquid form..not having milk or other fatty foods..shez week enuf to have an operation..dn’t understand how to get rid of this problem of gallstone..

Melanie December 21, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Mini, Surely your doctor has recommended a plan of action for the coming days for your mum?

Haley December 21, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Hey. My great aunt just found out that she has gallstones & she is 87 years old. The doctors said her heart was too weak to withstand surgery so instead they just want her to go on a gallstones diet. I was going to go grocery shopping today, and although I recognize your basic outlines of a diet, I was wondering if you have any specific foods that I can get for her that she could eat. She is living off of soup right now and I know she has to be tired of it.

Melanie January 10, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Hi Haley,
The diet for gallstones is really just a healthy diet. The main foods your aunt needs to avoid are fried foods, highly processed foods (doughnuts, pie, cookies), and anything very fatty. Is there some reason why she is only eating soup?

Nick January 23, 2012 at 9:44 am

I found this website searching for info on gallstones since I found out a few weeks ago I have them. It happened after eating a greasy burger one night. I had the pains on my right side but thought it was just gas. The next night I ate another burger and that was when the real pain started. I went to the emergency room and they ran tests. The pain lasted only about 45mins and then I felt fine but that could have been the morphine kicking in as well.

My official diagnosis is Gallstones with Biliary Colic.
Since then I have been eating steamed veggies or sauteed veggies using olive oil. I have also been eating lots of fruits and others stuff like brown rice with tumeric, yams, avocados and some leafy greens mainly fresh organic spinach. I have been able to eat boiled or baked lean chicken, sardines, and legumes. I have felt fine and actually lost about 13 pounds already and haven’t had any more attacks. The doctors want to cut my gall bladder out but I don’t have the cash for the operation. Do you think I could put it off for a month or two if I continue to eat healthy? I have seen conflicting info about tumeric. Some sights say don’t eat it if you have gallstones and others say it will actually help you get rid of them. Do you know anything about tumeric?

Melanie January 31, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Hi Nick, I can’t offer you advice about whether to get the operation or not. But, surely if you’ve cleaned up your diet (and you done a great job, BTW), and you continue to have no symptoms, doesn’t that indicate the op is unnecessary? I’m not a fan of surgery “just because.” I suppose you will be having reviews with your doctor in the coming months? Perhaps see how things go.

As for turmeric, small amounts of it are absolutely fine. Again, if you eat something and it causes symptoms, then you should cut if for a while, to see if there is an improvement.

wilma July 19, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I had a ultrasound, got gall stones as well. Had a ultrasound in 2005 as well. Done some research, find out that they can treat gall stones with a laser. Its called – laser lithotripsy. (Holmium:YAG laser lithotripsy)
Going to hospital next week to find out more.

bettszy February 9, 2012 at 6:04 am

Hi melanie

I am 20yrs old and I just had a baby 2 months ago and ever since then I’ve been having gallstone attacks, which would make me nauseas,vommit,sweat,back pain,abdominal pain,and chills.I am also over weight.I had gone to the ER last month and they told me it was really unlikely for me to have gallstones so I had another attack this Sunday it was so painful I didn’t even feel like talking so I went to the ER once again and they did a some test and will they found gallstones.I now feel bloated in my abdominal and feels sore and also my mid upper back feels sore to is that normal? I started doing zumba and I hope it will help me not get gallstones again.I really don’t want to get surgery I am planning on doing a flush.I am really bad at diets and I was wondering if there was a cook book out there that can really help me?please,having these attacks takes precious time for me to spend with my son.

Melanie March 19, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Hi Bettszy,
Haven’t you been referred to a doctor for advice on what to eat? Congratulations on the birth of your baby by the way :-)

Kristin April 1, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Hello! I’ve been suffering with gallstones for two years. I live in the states so I have no health insurance nor a lot of money to put up front for my surgery. So I’ve been watching what I eat like a hawk, but the other night, I had yet another attack. I’m also taking medication for it, but the medicine didn’t help so i’ve been given a higher dosage. I bake my food, I eat mostly chicken and salmon, and I eat a lot of veggies and fruits and I just don’t know what to do until I get the gallbladder removed. Any advice would be lovely!

Melanie April 2, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Hi Kristin, Thanks for your comment. Have you been able to notice certain foods which give you trouble? Perhaps keeping a food journal for a few days, with any noticed symptoms as well, may be of help in finding out what is causing your attacks.

Chrissy April 29, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Hi Melanie!
I just found your blog and I wanted to thank you for all the insight. I am 16 weeks pregnant and recently have been having issues with my digestive tract. My husband had his gallbladder out last year so we are pretty much able to sum up that this is my issue as well. I am very guilty of not taking proper care of myself before pregnancy and allowing my weight to get out of hand.

My gall attacks do not hurt thus far, but they are certainly uncomfortable. I am teetering on the line of gestational diabetes so I have been trying diet drinks to ween myself off of the sugar. I had a glass of Diet Mountain Dew and it caused a catalyst to this attack. I have the extremely full feeling in my sternum and the pressure in between my shoulder blades. It doesn’t matter what I eat or what I don’t. I am going to attempt your recommendations.

Thank you for all the work you put into this site. Hopefully I can maintain my healthy pregnancy and get myself a little healthier at the same time.

Melanie April 30, 2012 at 9:25 am

Hi Chrissy,
Congratulations on your pregnancy. Is this your first baby? :)

Have you decided to give up diet drinks as well? I honestly don’t recommend them either, especially in pregnancy. Here is an article on that. Also, here are some other articles I’ve written on pregnancy: fish intake, eating for two, pregnancy workout, peanuts. I hope you find this helpful, and best wishes.

Belinda June 10, 2012 at 1:24 pm

i found out 8 months ago i have gallstones and since then have been on a low fat diet and am waiting on surgery as i have stones stuck in the neck of the gallbladder that still give me pain on a regular basis, however they are tolerable but still uncomfortable. I was advised by my specialist not to eat red meat and stay away from dairy as they cause me great pain where can i get iron and calcium intake from without having these in my diet?

Melanie July 31, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Hi Belinda,
Here is an article on iron for vegetarians, which will be helpful to you at this time: http://www.nomeatathlete.com/iron-for-vegetarians/

On the dairy alternatives:

Milk — rice, oat, soy, quinoa, and nut milks may be a good alternative to cow’s milk. Just try to pick one that is calcium fortified.
Spreads — dairy-free vegetable or soy margarine spreads may be used as a substitute for butter. Check out your local health food store, or supermarket to see what they have in stock.
Yogurt and desserts — soy based (non-dairy) yogurts and desserts can be a good option. As well as soy, oat, rice and hemp ice creams. Again, many of the independent health food stores are your best bet for these products. And, don’t forget to check online, too.

Alternative Calcium Sources
When you exclude dairy from your diet, it is also important to get other sources of calcium, wherever possible. Some of these include:

Leafy green vegetables, especially the darker varieties like broccoli, spinach, cabbage, watercress, kale and pak choy.
Fish (with bones) such as sardines — the bones are very soft in sardines, but should be well mashed first, if you are giving to your baby. Shelled prawns are another option.
Foods that have been fortified with calcium such as breakfast cereals, orange juice, tofu, as well as dairy-free milk, cheese, and yogurts.
Legumes — baked beans, kidney beans, lentils, etc.
Dried figs and apricots are a good source of calcium. As are oranges.

Vickie June 21, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Hey Mel,
I am 20 years old an only 120lbs. Today I went to the hospitial because of the crazy pain I was feeling in my stomach. Come to find out I have gallstones and need my gallbladder removed within the next few weeks. I was just wondering what are the BIGGEST things I need to avoid from eating untill I get my surgery? I am a huge fan of junk food, so I am guessing I need to stop all the chips and fruit roll-ups. But If there is 0 trans fat is it okay if I have some of those?
Thanks!

Melanie July 31, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Hi Vickie,
As a long-term health goal, I would suggest cutting out all junk food from your diet, whether 0 trans fat, or not. Getting a taste for healthier foods is a lot easier when you are avoiding junk food. Try to focus on whole foods most of the time. Your body will be so much happier if you do. I hope you get well soon.

Deborah Eder September 7, 2012 at 12:45 am

I have cut out a lot of food due to diverticulitis and gallstones. And I have lost a lot of weight. 30 pounds or so. Kinda confused on the foods I can eat because I have both. Can you help?

Melanie September 19, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Hi Deborah,
Are you seeing a doctor or dietitian for specific dietary advice? I think it is too complicated to deal with in the blog comments section. Sorry.

maya November 28, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I have been having gallstones since October, and the scan showed many small stones. I had two different attacks and admitted in the hospital, I hated the pain and been in hospital that I used gallstone flash and once a week I do castor pack which relieves any bloating and discomforts, even if I eat a heavy meal or food with oil. The castor pack gets me through the whole week without pain. I look after my diet since I developed this illness, by stopping junk food. I almost follow Melanie’s advice, check on youtube both the flash and castor pack and the instruction. I do not want to remove my gallbladder I need to reverse the damage. I hope it is useful information.

Sand Smith January 12, 2013 at 5:01 am

I was diagnosed w/a gallstone-I seem to be able to keep it under control, but don’t think I am getting enough fat-everything I seem to be eating is fat free as I am concerned about another attack-I am trying not to have surgery as i have had a j-pouch procedure.
My question is how much fat intake should I be ingesting daily-I always look at labels that state grams/%. How much should be my intake?

Melanie February 7, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Hi Sand, I think it is best if you check with your doctors on that query, as they know everything about your medical history. Thanks for your question, though, and I really hope it all goes well for you.

Kim January 28, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Since leaving the emergency room this morning at 3am I have just found out that I have gallstones…this is very stressful for me considering I don’t eat alot of fatty foods besides the typical chocolate rush during my cycle. I just had my 3rd son 2 1/2 months ago and never experience anything of the sort previously. After reading a few websites your blog seems to be more inciteful. I was wondering is there anything in depth as far as for my diet,from what I’ve gathered in a nutshell I just need to eat veggies and fruits with water………so am I looking to much into it because I can’t live on that alone, especially since I love to cook and try new foods!

Tania April 7, 2013 at 2:56 am

My gallstone is big but i heard that if u eat alot of the orange melon it might dissolve true or not true?
Can you eat spicy foods?

Irvana June 7, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Hi,

I was just wondering if i take out my gallbladder will the gallstones come back?

Rene' October 16, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I just found out yesterday that I have gallstones blocking my gallbladder & i’m 37 wks. pregnant. They told me there’s nothing to do until post delivery except manage the pain. Any advice?

buy garcinia cambogia extract at garciniacambogiacart.com March 30, 2014 at 8:16 am

great post above very nice to read the post …exactly got what i was
searching…thanks for the beautiful post

garcinia cambogia helps you burn fat April 6, 2014 at 6:17 am

Terrific info Cheers!

pure garcinia cambogia extract does it work April 6, 2014 at 8:29 am

You actually suggested it adequately!

reviews garcinia cambogia extract April 7, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Organize a couple of toiletry items such as toothbrush, toothpaste, and deodorant and also place these in a zip-lock bag.
Select “World” at the top, and click on “World Spaces,” third down in
the list. Remember that you have to go into details so as not
to be caught surprise by expenses that might pop up
later and to know what you’re really getting.

is garcinia cambogia available in stores April 12, 2014 at 6:13 am

Valuable material, Appreciate it!

where i can find garcinia cambogia April 12, 2014 at 9:33 am

Terrific facts Thanks a lot.

pure garcinia cambogia order April 15, 2014 at 3:58 am

You actually stated this very well!

why you should use pure garcinia cambogia April 16, 2014 at 5:39 am

Right here is the right web site for everyone who really wants to understand this topic.
You understand so much its almost hard to
argue with you (not that I personally will need to…HaHa).
You certainly put a new spin on a subject that’s been discussed for
decades. Wonderful stuff, just great!