10 Ways to Make Vegetables Taste Good

Recently, I had another question from one of my readers saying she simply cannot get her husband to eat vegetables. Apparently he tells her when she makes them taste good then he’ll eat them! So, she’s wanting to know how to make vegetables taste good, if it’s even possible.

Well, it is possible. I’ve dealt a little with this subject in the past, and it seems quite a few people don’t like vegetables.

So, what can you do if you want to be healthy, but vegetables simply aren’t your thing?

10 ways to make vegetables taste better…

1. Pack in the flavour
Just because vegetables are healthy doesn’t mean they have to taste bland. Add extra flavour to them with a little pepper, garlic powder, herbs, spices, or citrus juices.

For example, a light squeeze of lemon or lime juice after you steam your vegetables can add a nice surprise. Or, try sautéing them with herbs, olive oil, and garlic.

You could also add dried or fresh spices, such as jalapeño peppers for a spicy alternative.

2. Don’t overcook
There’s nothing worse (in my opinion at least) than overcooked, soggy veggies – yuk!

Remember, you only need to cook them for a short time. This not only helps to maintain the majority of the nutrients, but most vegetables taste better when they have a little bite.

Vegetables

flickr: lollyknit

3. Presentation is everything
No one wants to eat something that’s been slopped on the plate like a dog’s dinner! Instead, try to think of how your dinner will look in advance, and then choose vegetables which will enhance the look e.g. lots of bright colours/textures etc.

Think broccoli with chicken. Stir-fry vegetables with white fish. Green beans with salmon, and so on.

4. Be sneaky!
If you don’t like large chunks of vegetables in your food, try grating or puréeing them into soups, casseroles, curries, and pastas dishes – this can be a great way to mask the flavour and texture.

5. Vary your cooking method
Whatever cooking method you choose – grilling, roasting, boiling, steaming, BBQ-ing  – it will create different flavours in the end result. So, if one method of cooking doesn’t do it for you, try something else.

How about grilled zucchini, BBQ-ed red pepper, or roasted pumpkin?

Click the next page to see five more tips on how to make vegetables taste good…

Pages: 1 2

Cathy in NZ June 17, 2009 at 2:30 pm

I eat raw vegetables as well…here in NZ we can buy a small package of baby carrots which are easy to rip open and munch away on. I know there are other small packages as well including smaller cut things in self seal baggies.

But I also am a fan of frozen vegetables and the manufacturers are starting to think less of those tiny weeny diced veges and making them much more ordinary sized. The reason I like the frozen veges is not only the convenience but as a single at home, it means I can have a variety and not find some ‘soggy, saggy’ item in the vege box…

Not sure I do anything really magic with veges but I like what I do for me :-)

Cathy in NZ’s last blog post..Tasks to do:

Melanie June 18, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Hi Cathy,
Good to hear from you again!! :-)

As long as you’re happy with what you make that’s the main thing! I’m a big fan of frozen veggies too, esp for singles and elderly etc who may use less- it’s horrible when you go into your fridge and discover a soggy mess of something that used to be a vegetable…yuk!

Brian August 12, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I hate veggies with a passion, but I finally figured out a way to eat them. Chipotle Tabsco sauce, I douse anything green in it and it doesn’t really matter what it tastes like because the sauce is awesome and It is way less calories than ranch dressing or anything like that.

Melanie August 16, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Hi Brian,
Interesting way to get your vegetable intake!!

Dan Marek August 18, 2010 at 3:45 am

I like to buy fresh veggies – carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, zuchini, and cut them all up and leave them in a container fresh. Then I quickly microwave 2-3 mins a couple cups of my mixed veggies as desired. I just throw them in a ziplock with a little water. They come up a little steamed and still very fresh tasting! I don’t always get them in, so I take my greens, protein, fiber, probiotics, etc… supplement once a day also (Greentein.com)

Melanie August 26, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Hi Dan,
Great ideas there, I love your tips. Just one point, are your ziplocks microwave safe?

Kris @Krazy_Kris November 4, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Coming from someone who ate virtually no veggies to someone who eats lots everyday, I used all these tips! It’s all about flavor – roasting, saute, herbs, nuts – mmmmmmmm! My best health investment (next to my HR monitor) was my pyrex bowls with lids. Store them, pack them, and eat them. Thanks so much for posting.

Melanie November 6, 2010 at 1:15 pm

That’s great! I also have little bowls which were the best investment EVER… Pampered Chef ones, I don’t know if you have that in the US? But, they are fab!

Kailly January 31, 2011 at 6:35 am

I have to say that seasoning is EVERYTHING when it comes to vegetables. So I agree with this article 100%. But I also suggest to anyone who has struggles mixing spices to go for asian dishes(especially thai). Forget what Panda Express taught you. Asians are quite smart in how they plate themselves. Notice how they mix rice with broccoli and soy sauce. And Indians are very good in using spices such as chat masala and black salt to spice up their food. Eating something that appears foreign really motivates you to try something new.

My mom’s an Indian and she would just mix grilled tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, and paneer(cheese) pieces and sprinkle them with black back salt. SO DELICIOUS. And soy sauce is a real good tool to make something bland like tofu into something totally different.

Melanie February 5, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Hi Kailly,
Thanks for sharing some really lovely ideas… you are so right, experimenting is the key.

Brian B. August 14, 2011 at 2:44 am

I have tried everything and I still can’t stomach veggies without dry heaving 1000000 times! I am nervous for my health. Are there any bother. Suggestions? Or should I just take a good multivitamin everyday?

Melanie August 18, 2011 at 8:42 am

Hi Brian,
I would certainly recommend a multivitamin if your diet is lacking. One option might be vegetable supplements, perhaps that is something you could look into? Have you every spoken to your doctor about all of this?

Ashley July 1, 2013 at 1:54 am

How can drinking multiple glasses of juiced veggies not be considered as more than one serving per day?

Beans July 10, 2013 at 10:31 am

Who decides what the quantity of one portion is? Was it in some sacred text found under a former 70,000 temple? Was it a way to sell more vegetables by the food farming industry?

Canned tomato soup counts as your 1 a day. They don’t mention that sugar content is also your 1 a day.

Juicing veg means the carbs are more quickly digested meaning your insulin shoots higher. Still better than doughnuts though.

Beth July 16, 2013 at 5:41 am

Do you mean juicing is not good for you?

Beth July 16, 2013 at 5:41 am

Do you mean juicing is not good for you?

Howard February 21, 2014 at 3:53 am

You need to be a part of a contest for one of the most useful sites on the web.
I will recommend this website!

hearthstone beta key giveaway now March 31, 2014 at 12:50 am

Wow, awesome blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is wonderful, let
alone the content!