Howard Stern is My Celebrity Diet Guru

hsjogginFamous people love giving out diet advice, but here’s the problem. A lot of them are nuts!

American Idol judge Randy Jackson, who had gastric bypass in 2003, recently penned his own diet book—pretty crazy, right?

That’s why I only take celebrity advice from one guy…The King of All Media, Howard Stern! Yes, the “shock jock” is an excellent health role model.Look at him. At 55 years old, he looks great. He wakes up at 4am, performs for millions everyday, and still keeps himself fit and trim.

Love him or hate him, Howard is committed to his health. He doesn’t eat red meat, only eats reasonable portions, avoids all sugary, savory and salty junk foods, doesn’t drink a lot, and exercises like a maniac: running and bike riding.

Just the other day he talked about how fat and unhealthy he was during his early career. Howard is 6 feet 5 inches tall, and in the 1980s he weighed 250 pounds, and felt sick all the time. But, today he weighs under 200 pounds and feels great.

He credits his parents for sitting him down and giving him a dose of reality.

Howard used that “intervention” to get in shape. He’s never looked back and regularly promotes health and fitness on his show. That’s my hero!

Editors note: What are your thoughts on Howard Stern? Do you think he’s a health role model?

About Gerry Pugliese
Gerry Pugliese is your typical yoga practicing, no pizza or meat eating Italian guy from New Jersey. Seriously, his family still isn’t speaking to him. Professionally, Gerry’s been a fulltime health blogger since 2005. Gerry blogs on Diet-Blog, OrganicAuthority, SternShowBlog and DiseaseProof.

Steve Parker, M.D. August 6, 2009 at 2:07 am

Interesting – I never knew that about Stern.

Nevertheless, I won’t listen to his show any more. I disagree with his morals and ethics. Obviously, I’m in the minority.

Armen August 6, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Over in the UK, we’re obviously not as familiar with Stern and what he does.

His popularity does seem to be closely intertwined with his obscenities, which isn’t a good thing.

I suppose we can learn health tips from the most unwelcome sources, though.

Melanie August 12, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Hi Steve,
As Armen said we’re not really too familiar with Stern over here in the UK, so I didn’t know much about him before.

Cate O'Malley August 7, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Certainly not the first person I’d think of when it comes to health or diet advice, but hey, if it helps someone, I guess, who’s to say anything? :)

Melanie August 12, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Cate,
I agree, you can take him with a pinch of salt I think, and just listen to the good bits, then leave the rest!

Ruth August 7, 2009 at 5:04 pm

I’m back from doing a google for this unknown-to-me celebrity :-)
I think we can and should gather inspiration from any person who excells in the areas we wish to succeed in. That said, sometimes we only discover what our role model’s habits mean to those around them when we try to practice them ourselves.
I wouldn’t want to run and cycle like a maniac. I have 3 children. I can’t spend hours and hours dedicated to my body, but I can be inspired by Howard Stern’s ability to take critique and use it to improve his life, the way he took his parent’s talk, and I can be inspired by his commitment to health and try to pass that on to my family by example and by providing the healthiest environment I can.

Melanie August 12, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Hi Ruth,
LOL…yes, I had to Google the name the first time I heard of him too!!

I think it’s very true what you’ve said, we can be inspired by him commitment to health etc, learn from the best bits and so on. I’m sure if you delve deep enough into any celebs life you’ll find unsavory bits you don’t agree with.

Suzannah-Write It Sideways August 9, 2009 at 7:24 am

Hmmm, yes, Howard Stern has a less-than-savoury reputation. Still, it’s encouraging to see anyone turn their life and health around, especially when they’re in the media spotlight. Don’t know that I’d be buying any diet books he’ll be writing, though!

Melanie August 12, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Yes, I’d draw the line at his diet book too! I think we have enough celebs trying to teach others how to be fit and healthy, unfortunately they usually choose the most inaccurate and stupid ways to get there!

Rosemary March 22, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I am now not sure the place you are getting your info, however great topic.
I must spend a while finding out more or working out
more. Thanks for excellent information I used to be searching for this info for my mission.

Garcinia cambogia fit 1300 April 30, 2014 at 1:21 pm

This design is wicked! You certainly know how to keep a reader entertained.
Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Wonderful job.
I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
Too cool!