7 Health Benefits of Fruit Uncovered

fruitYou’re probably sick hearing that you need to eat more fruits and vegetables!

And, while many people know that fruit is good for them, you may not realize just how far-reaching the health benefits of fruit can truly be.

It’s true that all fruits are good for you, but there are a few which offer some specific and quite impactful health benefits. You may already know about some of them, but others may surprise you!

Let’s take a look at these special fruits offering the most bang for your buck!

1. Cranberries
This is one fruit which only seems to show up at Thanksgiving time, but it should be a regular fixture the whole year through.

Cranberries in their natural form can be helpful in curing urinary tract infections as many people know. This powerful fruit can also be tremendously helpful in lowering cholesterol, and even protecting against cancer and stroke.

2. Raspberries
Raspberries are high in fiber, vitamins A and C, and folic acid.

As if the nutritional content wasn’t great enough, these berries may also have properties that help to fight against cancer.

3. Apples
They always say, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away,” and there is indeed some true merit to this cliché statement.

Apples are loaded with fiber, and are high in vitamins, making them delicious and excellent for weight loss efforts. Not only that, but apples are said to help with certain stomach conditions, even constipation.

4. Pineapple
Many people turn to pineapple simply because it’s a delicious fruit, but it also offers some excellent health benefits.

Pineapple is loaded with vitamin C, however many people may not realize that it has some amazing anti-inflammatory properties, which could be useful as a natural home remedy for those suffering from arthritis, for example.

5. Blueberries
Though this may not be the biggest surprise on the list, they are a must to be included when it comes to health benefits.

Blueberries seem to have immeasurable health benefits and qualities. They may help to stimulate and contribute to increased brain power and function, helping people stay sharp and focused. They are also helpful in protecting against certain forms of cancer and even heart disease.

6. Strawberries
Look to the berry family yet again when we consider health benefits! Strawberries are loaded with vitamin C, potassium, fiber, and folic acid, making them a necessary staple in everyone’s diet.

Most importantly it is believed that the properties in strawberries help to guard against carcinogens introduced to the body, making them an excellent cancer fighter.

7. Bananas
You probably grew up having bananas, but may not have realised just how good they were for you.

Bananas are one of the highest sources of potassium, and regular intake may even help to keep blood pressure low, so be sure to include these as a staple in your diet.

I’m sure you’ll agree, these 7 fruits are all in good company—they look great, taste great, and can be your best friends in maintaining good health.

Turns out Mom may just have been right after all!

Photo credit: Lynnc

About Mary Ward
Mary Ward writes about various healthcare career topics, including how to obtain an online masters in healthcare.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome Symptoms August 20, 2009 at 9:22 pm

I appreciate your information. I like most of those fruits and just started eating bananas again after reading more about their health benefits. Thanks for sharing.

Lauri August 21, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Reading this makes me want to eay more fruits. Maybe I could make it a habit to eat at least 2 fruits every day.

I love Pineapple… and strawberries.. aaw.

Melanie August 21, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Hey Lauri,
Yep, that would be a great habit, start small then work from there.

Cathy in NZ August 22, 2009 at 1:44 am

I usually have a ‘dried’ sort of cranberry and at least 1/3 of a banana with my porridge each day. I am not a fan of the sulphur type dried fruit because my stomach isn’t! But the cranberry I eat doesn’t seem to be quite of the same mix.

I eat at times a huge variety of vegetables and I believe some of them almost lean over into the fruit arena. I used to have regularily a frozen berry mix but for some reason ‘it’s off my plate’ right now!

Melanie August 22, 2009 at 8:01 am

Hey Cathy,
Good to hear from you again!

I’m a big fan of dried fruits too, especially the exotic ones like mango and pineapple. I think it’s probably because it satisfies my sweet tooth, however I personally need to watch I don’t overdo-it, too much of a good thing isn’t good either! :-)

John W. Zimmer August 23, 2009 at 9:17 pm

I had no idea that pineapples were so good! Thanks for this tip – I’ll pass this along to my friends with joint pains to see if it helps!

I eat an apple and a banana a day so I’m getting some variety. I had teriyaki burgers last night too. :)

Melanie August 24, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Hey John,
Yeah, it’s a good tip, I’d be interested to know if your friends notice any difference.

Do you eat an apple and banana everyday? What about the other fruits?? ;-)

Tom Parker - Free Fitness Tips August 24, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Good list Mary. I make sure I have an apple, banana and clementine/tangerine every day as a snack. Bananas are a particularly good snack choice as I find they really perk you up in the afternoon.

I also have blueberries on my porridge whenever I get the chance. They’ve got to be one of tasties fruits out there and the health benefits ain’t too bad either :-)

John W. Zimmer August 24, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Yep I do eat the apple and banana every day and sometimes two bananas. My doctor when he noticed my hypertension gave a diuretic pill that also depletes potassium apparently. So he suggested the bananas.

I drink a glass of orange juice a day with breakfast… other than that I eat veggies or a salad with dinner most evenings.

I wish I could afford more fruit but what I did do is plant come cherry tomatoes and we have more than we eat this year! :)

Melanie August 25, 2009 at 9:18 am

Yep, bananas are a great source of potassium. I get you now, thought you meant you only ate a banana and apple, no other veggies etc per day!!

I’d love to grow my own fruit and veg, it always tastes so much better. When we lived in Australia we had some growing in the garden and friends would give us some of theirs, it was delicious!!

Thedailyreviewer August 25, 2009 at 6:54 am

Congratulations! Our selection committee compiled an exclusive list of the Top 100 fitness Blogs, and yours was included! Check it out at http://thedailyreviewer.com/top/fitness

You can claim your Top 100 Blogs Award Badge at http://thedailyreviewer.com/pages/badges

Cheers!

Ted…

Melanie August 27, 2009 at 8:45 am

Thanks for letting me know.. that’s great!

John M January 17, 2010 at 5:20 am

Hey helpful Info. It is much beneficial Soon you Apply it. Much useful. Mahalo.

Tony Phylactou November 29, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I had my first gout attack about 10 years ago.
At the beginning I was having attacks every 6 months. Then gradually I was getting them
every 3 months, then every month and eventually every week.
It started at my big toe and then it was moving sometimes in my knees,and generally all
around my joints, in my feet.And the pain was agonising.
I have tried all the cures you can imagine.I tried ACV, lemons, drinking a lot of water, but
to no avail.I tried water fasting, juice fasting,baking soda, again without success.
I almost gave up meat, limiting it to only once a week ,gave up alcohol completely,again
no success.
I was living on vegetables, lots and lots of fresh fruit, milk ,cheese beans and so on .My
eating habits could not be healthier ,or so I thought.But my gout was worsening.
Then I decided to increase the amount of fruit I was consuming, thinking that if some fruit
is healthy, more fruit will be more healthy.Some days I was eating fruit only ,others over 10
portions a day.
And alas my gout instead of improving it became chronic ,it was there all the time.
I was desperate I did not know what to do.
And then one day accidentally I read an article about fructose,which is contained in fruit in
large quantities.It said that it increases uric acid, in a matter of minutes.
Fructose is also present in table sugar, and in HFCS, which is used in soft drinks.
I put two and two together and realised what I was doing wrong.
I stopped eating fruit and all other sugars, for a period of 3 weeks,and by magic I saw a
dramatic improvement.Pain was gone, swelling was gone, I was fine.
I re introduced fruit again in my diet but reducing them to 1 or 2 a day, and my gout completely
disappeared.
I do eat more meat now, and occasionally have an alcoholic drink, and thank God everything
seems to be fine.
Fructose was my enemy.

Melanie December 2, 2011 at 10:35 am

Wow, that’s amazing to read, Tony. I’m so glad you’ve been able to discover the root-cause of your pain. Thanks for sharing this for others to read, too.

ダウン 人気 October 31, 2013 at 12:38 am

Your way of telling everything in this paragraph is actually pleasant, all can easily
understand it, Thanks a lot.

puma suede classic March 22, 2014 at 8:23 am

I am sure this post has touched all the internet people, its really really good piece of writing on
building up new webpage.

Irwin May 25, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Thanks for a marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author.I will remember to bookmark your blog and may come back later on. I want to encourage you to continue your great posts, have a nice
holiday weekend!