The 5 Bite Diet: Is This Quackery At Its Finest?

JR3

Ever heard of the “5 Bite Diet“?

This isn’t a new diet on the market, but it’s been bugging me for a while.

It seems there’s no end to the fad diet madness! And, people really seem to be sucked in by its approach. Personally, I can’t understand why, but perhaps I’m too biased to understand.

In his book, “Why Weight Around,” Dr Lewis recommends this approach to weight loss:

• Drink as much of anything you want, as long as it doesn’t contain calories.
  • Take 5 bites of any food at lunch.
  • Take 5 bites of any food at dinner.
  • Take one multi-vitamin every day.
  • Eat a bit of protein a day “on average.”

Sounds pretty simple, right?

Well, I’m hungry just thinking about it!

But, alas, the good doc says after three days on his diet, you will no longer be hungry. Then, once you’ve reached your goal weight you can go back to eating normally.

If you want to hear what Dr Lewis has to say, here’s an interview with Gregory Mantell:

He encourages people to eat Snickers bars for their meals — need I say ANY more?

Well, I’d love to hear from you guys, what do you think of this diet? Could it lead to an eating disorder? Or, do you think it would be an effective way to kick-start your weight loss? Please share your insights and knowledge…

Armen February 5, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Any diet which suggests, “Then, once you’ve reached your goal weight you can go back to eating normally” is not to be listened to.

Daft.

Melanie February 5, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Armen,
My thoughts exactly, but what would I know??? :-)

Kelly March 1, 2010 at 10:26 am

I agree with this too. Your old diet was making you fat so to go back to it would be silly and the point of changing your diet should be that you want to be healthy and happier….it should be a lifestyle change. I don’t see how any diet is going to work unless it is a lifestyle change.

I think it is also really bad that this “Dr” is recommending to eat anything. A snickers bar is not going to satisfying anyone and will probably result in bingeing.

Agh it makes me hungry just thinking about only having 5 bites. I eat a LOT – more like 100 bites haha!
.-= Kelly´s last blog ..Postponement & The 5 Major Poisons Inherently Found In Animal Foods =-.

Melanie March 2, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Kelly,
LOL It is just crazy. If you wanted to eat salad, why should you need to limit it to 5 bites, that’s just stupid.

It worries me what will happen to those people who do manage stay on this diet for a while.

Sid January 25, 2011 at 6:05 am

What if their old diet WASN’T making them fat? I’m overweight because of the past (forcefed as a child, etc.) but I have not gained (or lost) any significant weight for the last 5 years until recently.

Melanie January 28, 2011 at 10:42 am

Hi Sid,
Are you trying the 5 bits diet?

Emma August 18, 2010 at 9:53 pm

So long as by “going back to eating normally” means ‘normal’ as in a ‘normal, healthy balanced diet’ I don’t see the issue.

Melanie August 26, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Emma,
Do you think that’s possible after eating only 5 bites at each meal? Perhaps it depends on how long you stay on the diet.

John W. Zimmer February 5, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Hi Mel,

I guess this guy has not thought of people like me who can take some pretty large bytes! I would not lose weight on this diet (as I can almost unhinge my jaw)… :)
.-= John W. Zimmer´s last blog ..Update: Workouts and BJJ! =-.

Melanie February 5, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Hey John,
lol… I think there are a few others who have been confused by that too. From the Diet Blog forum I’ve read a number of peoples comments asking for a more specific measurement rather than just “bites.”

I think this is also why he suggests the Snickers bars, apparently that gives a good indication of the required volume.

My mind boggles…..

Blake February 5, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Quack quack quack.
.-= Blake´s last blog ..Women and Heart Disease =-.

Melanie February 5, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Precisely!!!!! lol

Glenn February 5, 2010 at 8:59 pm

An anaconda wouldn’t lose much weight on this “diet”

Melanie February 5, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Glenn,
Haha… trust YOU!! You’re absolutely right though! :-)

Cathy in NZ February 6, 2010 at 8:31 pm

managed 4mins of the interview

Dr Snicker Quack – I presume!

If I do have one of these type of bars (& I do to stop craving) I eat the whole darn lot in a few bites – it’s too sticky to leave in a wrapper until later :-)
.-= Cathy in NZ´s last blog ..Achievements + usual Opinions =-.

Melanie February 8, 2010 at 10:11 am

Cathy,
I agree the interview is a bit grueling!! Well done for reaching 4 mins, lol

I don’t see anything wrong with having chocolate as a treat, I do too! But, he’s completely barking mad when he recommends people eat Snickers bars for meals… it’s a joke!

Cathy in NZ February 9, 2010 at 2:14 am

I’ve decided he’s gotta be on the Snicker Bars payroll…the new way to advertise!

Probably working on getting onto some other chocolate gooey bars’ payroll as well
.-= Cathy in NZ´s last blog ..Not into making ‘lists’ really =-.

Carla | Green and Chic February 11, 2010 at 7:52 am

That is a scam for sure. Can you say “starvation mode”? This is exactly like the starvation diets that were preached in the ’80s that backfired on so many people.
.-= Carla | Green and Chic´s last blog ..My Love of Links 2010 – Vol II =-.

Melanie February 13, 2010 at 10:58 am

Hey Carla,
Yes, you’re so right. It’s so dangerous, and irritating that a doctor would be recommending.

Cricketo February 12, 2010 at 2:42 am

Wow. O.O That is NOT RIGHT! Dude, I think it will lead to even more eating disorders…I should know, I had anorexia. This type of thing is less food than even I ate when I was sick, and I could’ve died… O.O Can we sue this guy?? That is just horrible!

P.S. Don’t worry, I’m better now. I’ve been at a healthy weight for one full month. =) I don’t think you care but, eh, if you do, there ya go.

Cathy in NZ February 12, 2010 at 3:36 am

if you weren’t at at healthy weight…then you wouldn’t be telling us about you trail to better living – congrats that you have returned to the land of the living – go well in your journey.
.-= Cathy in NZ´s last blog ..Reviewing the Wood Bay Resolutions =-.

Melanie February 13, 2010 at 11:00 am

Cricketo,
I think you’re right, for some people this will definitely lead to long-term problems and obsession. It’s so frustrating.

Well done for being on the road to recovery yourself. That’s wonderful.

Marina February 23, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I don’t think this diet is that bad as long as you are taking 5 huuuge bites. And of healthy food. Not the fast food.

Generally speaking if you know what how to choose and combine healthy foods, this doctor just sets the guidlines on how to plan meal regimen for a day. Not too bad if you approach this diet wisely.

Melanie February 24, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Hi Marina,
Thanks for your comment. It’s my understanding he recommends the chocolate bar as a way of determining how your tummy should feel after a meal, I don’t think he really encourages 5 huge bites, but I’m sure that’s what I’d do if I were on this diet!!

Melito February 23, 2010 at 5:56 pm

The main thing that worries me about this diet is the lack of nutrition the body would absorb.

As an athlete, I exercise 4-6 times a week. My metabolism is very high and I find that I need to eat more just to maintain my weight and give my body what it needs for energy. With a diet like this, my body would not have enough calories to fuel itself for the workouts.

I tend to eat 5 smaller meals per day (healthy food of course). Here is an example of what works for me: http://www.volleyball-training-ground.com/fitness-nutrition-plan.html
.-= Melito´s last blog ..Beach Volleyball Dimensions for Court Size =-.

Melanie February 24, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Hi Melito,
Yes, totally agree. I can’t imagine how anyone would survive unscathed with this diet. Surely the brain, skin and other organs would begin to be effected by the lack of nutrition. I think it’s scary.

Ruth February 26, 2010 at 8:22 pm

This guy is a NUT!!!
It doesn’t take a physician to work out that if you only eat 2 snickers bars or equivilant, that your weight is going to fall off.
This would encourage the mental unbalance that starts eating disorders.
This guy needs to have his mentallity checked out and maybe lock him up!! Probably most people who struggle with their weight , have, at some stage of their life , went on silly diets. But this so called physician endorsing and encouraging this, is crazy. should be taken up for abuse.

Can you imagine some poor person with an eating disorder, trying this??

Melanie March 2, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Ruth,
Absolute nut job, I am seriously doubting his medical qualification. Don’t know how he gets away with this.

If you visit the forum on Diet-Blog you would probably be shocked by the people who go on there saying they are trying out the diet, and wishing each other well. It seems to have a bit of a cult following.

Tiffany March 1, 2010 at 6:22 am

Wow, so that’s all I need to do!!!! Yeah right, this is completely nuts!!!! & to boot if I ate a snickers a day, then in gained weight I would pay!!!

Melanie March 2, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Tiffany,
I know, sounds soooo simple!! What a joke.

Missy March 6, 2010 at 3:17 am

Actually, although I have not done this and it does sound ridiculous, it actually makes sense. I’ve researched him and a lot of gastric bypass surgeons recommend their patients to him before opting for surgery because this is basically the same exact principles that they would be using after surgery. He does state that this is not a Forever plan but that it helps you get control of your stomach. I mean lets face it there are a lot of people in America who could benefit from eating WAY less. What always amazes me is that people will be so quick to call people who are willing try a diet like this anorexic etc but the reality is that most obese people have just as much of an eating disorder and are at a much higher risk of developing complications that could lead to their death.

Melanie March 9, 2010 at 9:06 am

Missy,
I completely agree with you that many people could do with eating less. That’s for sure!

I didn’t know that surgeons send their patients to him, but I do know he recommends a similar volume of food to that of gastric surgery patients. However, I do feel that a diet such as this is best dealt with under the supervision of a medical practitioner, don’t you? And, some people really do think it’s okay to eat Snickers bars for their meals, surely you don’t agree with that?

Mimi March 19, 2010 at 4:54 pm

why do people make dumb ass remarks when they have not fully read the book or spoken to someone who has tried the 5 bite diet. You DONT go back to eating normally, what he says IN HIS BOOK if you bothered to read it is that you go back to eating the food you ate before with a controlled portion that you have now learned from restraining yourself and not eating until you are about to explode. you don’t continue to eat just 5 bites and you don’t go back to eating the AMOUNT you use to eat. when you work with Dr. Lewis you learn the healthy AMOUNT of food you should eat to maintain the weight you are currently at after the diet.

I suppose no one really gets it until you read the book and fully understand the process, if you had an obese relative who wanted to have a surgery that butchers their stomach in order to eat less so they can lose the weight then that would be okay? why not tell them that there is a way to do it without surgery and instead use self control, what a thought?? Gastric bypass patients are told to eat 3 bites of food 3 times a day. My mother spend thousands on a lap band surgery and gained her weight back because the surgery did not teach her self control and it did not help her take control of the food she was stuffing into her mouth the surgery simply made it impossible for her to eat for a few weeks without gaging and slowly she just started stuffing herself again.

don’t judge a book by it’s cover…

Melanie March 20, 2010 at 11:11 am

Mimi,
I am all in favour of teaching people how to control portions. And, as I pointed out in my article, I know Dr Lewis recommends that people go back to eating normally when they have completed the diet.

There’s no way I can support a diet like this for the general public, though. Every day on the Diet-Blog forum people comment about how they are getting on with this method — one day they do well, the next day they fall off the wagon again, and on and on it goes. It’s a roller-coaster diet!

I am completely in favour of someone using measures like this (under correct supervision) rather than getting surgery. But, this diet should not be advocated for everyone. Your mother should have been under the care of a dietitian when she had her surgery — at least in the UK that’s what we do. There’s no way you do that kind of surgery, and don’t try to teach people how to eat afterwards, that’s just crazy.

And, the issue about the Snickers bars — I know for a fact some people actually eat 3 bars a day rather than meals — don’t tell me that’s healthy!

Michael March 24, 2010 at 7:46 pm

This diet is about changing your stomach’s expectation. Here in the States, it seems there has been a steady increase in what our stomachs will hold at any meal. You only need to look at television shows from the late 70′s to see the difference in body shapes from then to now (disregard the fashion of course).

Melanie March 25, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Yes, very true. Portions sizes have grown incredibly over the years, I think it’s even more apparent in the States. When I visited there a few years ago, I was quite amazed!

mmpam1 July 21, 2010 at 4:26 am

Wat I wanted to know was if wen you get off the diet do you gain the weight back?
.-= mmpam1´s last blog ..6 Power Packed Pre-Workout Snacks =-.

Melanie July 27, 2010 at 11:10 am

I can’t say for sure, but I don’t imagine you would be able to keep the weight off long-term. That’s the problem with most diets like this. I certainly wouldn’t recommend this type of dieting approach.

Maigre July 24, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Ok so this guy says we should all aim for a BMI of 18.5!
I have a large skeletal frame at that BMI I look like a walking skeleton, sorry but really cannot see how that is healthy.
Plus women need at least 10% body fat but really should not go below 12% otherwise it causes infertility and impaired brain function. So I am 5’7″, at a BMI of 18.5 I weigh 118lb, then if I had 10% fat which is the bare minimum for a female that means I only have a lean body mass of 106.2lb. My lean body mass alone is currently 130lb and I am not at all fat, so in order for me to fit into his little box of the ideal I would have to lose 23.8lb of my lean body mass. How can that be healthy?

Carla July 24, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I totally understand! As a true mesomorph, if I were to try to get down to 18.5 BMI, I would have to STOP going to the gym, stop weight training and just sit around so I can lose muscle. How is that healthy?
.-= Carla´s last blog ..Guest Post- Six Natural Mosquito Repellents =-.

Melanie July 27, 2010 at 11:36 am

It isn’t healthy, Maigre. It’s very scary indeed that this guy is out there propagating stuff like this.

PunkieBee September 22, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it. It’s working great for me. Lost 6 lbs in 4 days. I’m using the basic principle. Ya, it’s more rigorous now than it will be when I reach my goal weight. The first couple of days (actually the first day) are hard… But if you keep your mind busy, and drink a bit of water, you’ll get through it.

I’m not only eating two snickers a day. Here is what I’ve done:

BREAKFAST TIME:
-Black Coffee with some chocolate almond milk

10:00
-One mini Snickers (the tiny ones!!!)

11:00
-One mini Snickers

12:30-1:00
-1/2 Hebrew National all beef 97% fat free hot dog
-1/2 hot dog bun
-Ketchup/mustard

3:00
-1 mini Snickers

5:00 pm
-1/2 bacon-wrapped filet mignon
-1 glass of wine

I drink water, water water. I did add prune juice to my day because I haven’t gone to the br in two days. Very odd for me… But since I’m not stuffing my face…

I feel GREAT! Plenty of energy. I know I could lose more if I ate much less, but I also workout 4 times a week… (water aerobics and yoga)

I’m psyched!!!

ps. My doc recommended the diet to me because I was considering doing the lapband. He asked that I try this first. FYI, I need to lose 40 lbs. So… 6 down… 34 to go!

Melanie September 25, 2010 at 9:00 am

PunkieBee,
Thanks for commenting. I am concerned about the quality of your diet as a whole, not only the 5 bites factor.

Hotdog, bacon, Snickers? What about fruit and vegetables? You need to think about your health long-term. You say your doctor recommended this diet — what meals did he suggest you eat?

Cathy in NZ September 25, 2010 at 9:52 pm

blimey that is one hell of a diet…I would have died of boredom and probably my whole system would be completely shot.

when you mentioned you hadn’t gone to the bathroom – I would have been really unhappy with what anyone – doctor or not had recommended.
.-= Cathy in NZ´s last blog ..I love unusual researching! =-.

Melanie September 29, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Agreed Cathy!

Rachel November 28, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I have taken the principals of the 5 Bite Diet, and have tweaked them a little to be successful for myself. I do not stop just at 5 bites, but I agree with Mimi that the portion sizes are what Dr. Lewis is suggesting we learn to do better. I have read Dr. Lewis’s book and he does not suggest you go back to the portion sizes you ate prior to starting this eating plan, he suggests after you reach your desired weight to slowly add one bite at a time back, until you have gotten to a point of maintenance. He also doesn’t advocate strictly eating just Snicker bars as a meal, but he does suggest for the first week trying a Snicker bar to get a grasp of the amount of 5 bites.
While I think this doctor may be a little skewed in his thinking that 5 bites is a healthy portion, I do get the reasoning behind the thinking with the gastric bypass patients and their portions being cut back.
I have extremely enjoyed cutting back my portions to a sensible size, incorporating fruit and veggies, but most importantly not feeling bloated and stuffed and racked with guilt anymore. I have lost a total of 7 pounds within the first month, and feel great. This massive cut back in portions isn’t for everyone, but a good start for people who see themselves as being out of control.
I have had success with Weight Watchers in the past by losing 31 #’s in under two years, but within a year I gained 14 #’s back and switched to the variation of the 5 Bite Diet I mentioned prior and haven’t been sorry in doing so.
I also agree with PunkieBee, with knocking something before you try it, you have purposely chosen to write about this author, Dr. Alwin Lewis’s book Why Weight Around, to knock him and his plan without giving it a fair try yourself. I think that your argument is a fallacy, because your conclusion is weak without supportive information. You intended to be bias in your judgment regarding Dr. Lewis’s book, and that’s unfair journaling.

Melanie December 2, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Hi Rachel,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate you taking the time to comment, and I am pleased that you have been able to find success with reducing your portions.

The way I see it, most people reading a book like this one by Dr Lewis, will try to follow it to a T, not as you have done by modifying it to suit yourself (which I think is a very sensible approach). I think it could be a dangerous diet if followed in that way.

I reserve the right to be biased on this blog. I am a registered dietitan, and when I think something could be harmful for some people, I will speak out about it. If I don’t, who will?

Ladyface January 6, 2011 at 2:37 am

Hi. I’ve been on this diet for three days, and I seriously already feel healthier. It makes me realize how much more I had been eating before. When you become obese, which I technically am, you don’t realize when you are no longer hungry, therefore you don’t feel the need to stop eating whatever is in front of you. But this showed me that after the five bites, you aren’t needing any more food. I don’t reccomend this diet for ANYBODY that is normal-underweight, but if you are overweight or obese, I highly suggest it. I have dieted before, but the reason why I gave up was first that it was hard to control what I ate, calories are sometimes hard to determine depending, and also the fact the results are slow to come and it just makes you depressed and makes you give up. However, with this diet, you lose the weight you want quickly, with little effort. You don’t even have to work out! (but I suggest you do) Then once you get to your goal weight, it doesn’t matter what you do because you know you can lose any weight you gain back really quickly and easily. I do not support anorexia, but this diet is like having a gastric bypass, so really what is healthier, getting surgery and losing weight by not eating very much, possibly having health problems with the surgery, or just eating the same amount you would if you got the surgery? Just saying.

Melanie January 6, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Hi Ladyface,
You make some really important points here. I think this is a diet that could be useful, with the right medical supervision, for those who are very overweight, as a way to avoid surgery, and still lose weight and feel better.

Shae January 23, 2011 at 8:20 am

My sunday school teacher from when i was little died recently. She was always a little overweight, and her doctor recommended her the five bite diet. She got incredibly skinny and dropped to less than 80 pounds as an 80 year old. Her death was heart breaking. This diet is anorexia in disguise. This “doctor” is an idiot.

Cory February 4, 2011 at 9:50 pm

These posts from all you people who CLEARLY no nothing of what you are talking about really makes me laugh. If you do what he describes and take the time to read the book,…this diet works. I can personally account for losing weight with this. Also you DO lose your cravings after the day 3 on this diet. You people really need to understand the role stored fat plays in your body and what it is needed for, or not needed for with all your access storage. So before you all go making stupid comments without having any knowledge on the subject or even understanding how stored fat are your bodies reserve fuel…Please do not act like an expert.Explain bear going into hibernation weighing 1200 punds and coming out almost half his body weight gone by the end of it….hmmmm where the hell do you think he gets his nourishment from? His fat ( stored fuel ) is the answer. The problem is when you don’t deplete those reserves and constantly are filling your belly with food, your body has no need to tap into the reserves and you don’t lose weight.

Melanie February 5, 2011 at 8:22 pm

We are not bears, nor do we hibernate… but thanks for your comment anyhow.

Cathy in NZ February 5, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I wanted to say that as well…about NOT being a bear or hibernating.

If Cory is doing all that i.e. hibernating then he needs to rethink however many months he’s sleeping it off in his cave…he might well miss something every important for his life :-)

Occasionally Cory, I spend a whole day in my bed errr cave resting but I never would want to be there longer…to many interesting things around me and out there to do!

Cory March 11, 2011 at 7:39 pm

hey I think you are missing the important analogy, but feel free to go off the deep end.Your post just proves how much people like yourself miss the point and have no clue what you are talking about, you may need to see a counselor for help…that’s free advice

Sherri March 9, 2011 at 2:38 am

Hi everyone,

I haven’t read Dr. Lewis’s book, but I work for a major weight loss company, which purports portion control, and it’s the portion control that helps people lose weight, plain and simple. However, I do agree that gastric bypass-sized portions may be extreme, especially when a person doesn’t need to lose a lot of weight. Conversely, I don’t recommend or discourage Dr. Lewis’s approach, but I do agree with Cory’s hibernation analogy. If people would only stop stuffing food quantities into their bodies that they don’t need, they’d lose the weight their health needs.

Good luck out there, everyone.

Melanie March 10, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Sherri.

jenny March 11, 2011 at 5:57 am

I did the 5 bite diet and was able to reach my goal and maintained it for past 2 years. No I’m not doing the diet anymore. People should really read the book to get their facts straight, before jumping into conclusions. This diet is medical supervised, its not anorexia in disguise. Is based on the gastric bypass without getting the surgery. My friend had the gastric bypass and honestly insisted for me to do this diet. Good thing I listened. Did you know that people that have gastric bypass have to be in a clear liquid diet for 6 wks, then just consume about 4 bites of food per day nothing else for another 6 wks. I went into research before starting 5 bite diet spoke to surgeons and they as well recommended to try the diet. So if different doctors do recommend it, Why people think is the most horrible diet? Read the book, it has a lot of information. After I reached my goal it took me about 6 months to find the right portions to eat to be able to maintain my weight and I did. I’m no longer obese I’m 5’1 weigh 120 lbs used to weigh 186lbs. One last thing, this is not an anorexic diet, the first 3 days are hard but you can do it. You get amazing results, healthy thin not anorexic skinny. No counting calories!! Why live a life with restrictions… P.S. I sometimes eat 3 slices of pizza and don’t gain any weight.

Melanie March 11, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Hi Jenny,
Your results are truly amazing, really well done. I am always so happy when someone finds something that works for them, even if the initial idea I am a bit wary of.

I think I’ve said it here before in the comments section, I am not slating this diet just for the fun of it, I really do think it could be dangerous for some people, but for other people like yourself it is helpful.

Cory March 11, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Melanie, open your mind and get educated. just because you think you may know something and have an opinion, DOES NOT make you an expert or mean you have ANY knowledge on the subject. I am trying to educate you on the process of the diet, it you don’t buy into fine…but no need to make negative comments when you think you know something that you clearly do not. Hope you reach your weight loss goals someday.

Melanie March 11, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Cory,
I think you misunderstand me, I am willing to be wrong, and no doubt I am on MANY things in life.

I understand that this diet will work for some people, and I am happy for them — no doubt we need to make some steps towards ending the obesity epidemic.

If you read my blog regularly, you’ll know that I try to keep an “open mind” about things and normally don’t get too hot under the collar about the latest diet on the market. But, this 5 Bites Diet really did concern me, I will admit that. I fear for people who have eating disorders and come across a diet like this.

No doubt you will set me straight on that one too, but I’ve encountered too much disordered eating in my experience as a dietitian to not be wary of things like this.

Cathy in NZ March 11, 2011 at 8:11 pm

All, did you watch is video – it came across as ‘mad-hatter’ stuff which might have been his undoing if the book was in fact better organised…

It seems to me that some people have loved the diet and done well – whilst others – have had a disastrous affair with it

So that means, read the book – give it a try – but don’t battle on if it doesn’t sit right in your ‘head’ or your ‘gut’

What I like about Melanie is that alerts us to other areas that may or may not be good to hear about – giving us options based on her opinion (of which she has a qualification to do) and of course the comments that everyone can make…

Good health everyone

HH March 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Melanie, I appreciate the devil’s advocate approach you take to the replies.

I agree that the Dr. is a little “out there.” I actually went to him for a few months while doing this diet. I lost a significant amount of weight and had so much more energy.

But it’s like everyone else has said – this diet isn’t for everyone. Most the time it’s not for me! (I went to culinary school! Hello! I love to eat!) But every now and then people cleanse – whatever they do is their choice. I love going to this when I don’t have time for mass amounts of exercise but need to trim down the bloat a bit.

I have issues with portion control as well as getting my butt to the gym. This is the poor man’s (literally – you save money too) version of a cleanse/portion control diet.

People who move to eating disorders have their own issues to deal with, regardless of what diet they try.

Having met the doctor and spoken with him every week, it’s a different experience. He tailors it to your own psychological issues (mine being wanting to eat all the time!). Great thing is – he stops the bulls*it. Face the music – if you wanna lose weight, you’re gonna have to commit to something. And it’s never gonna be easy.

Melanie March 26, 2011 at 9:52 am

Hi HH,
Thanks so much for telling us about your experience, it’s good to find out more about this topic. I think your point about people moving towards an eating disorders, regardless of what diet they try, is very profound. That has given me something to mull over for a while :-)

Mark April 8, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I think this 5 bite diet brings to light just how much excess food we eat everyday. Certainly, 5 bites of a candy bar could work, but why not take a more intelligent approach and eat something with little or no sugar, vegetables, and some protein? In a world of “All you can eat” buffets, and suppersized fast food meals, how does this doctor come off as “crazy” or “dangerous”?

Something that always bothers me is how people talk about how many “calories” they eat. A calorie is a unit of measure, just like MPG. You don’t go to the gas station and put in 10 MPG. Measuring food by weight (portion control) is an effective way of judging how much you are eating. A bite is a subjective measurement as it could be a nibble or a Bluto Blutarski mouthful. Once I started looking at the overall quantity I was eating, and how I would wolf it down instead of savoring it as I do now, decreasing the quantity became very easy to manage.

I did recently become a patient of Dr. Lewis and found what he had to say very interesting. Especially on how we loose weight by exhaling Carbon.

Melanie April 13, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Hi Mark,
I do take your point about how everything supersized appears “normal” to people these days, but someone like this doctor comes out as “dangerous” by recommending 5 bites at a meal. It seems to me that both extremes may be a little “crazy.”

CYNTHIA April 25, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I HAVE TRIED THIS DIET AND IT ROCKS !!!! I AGREE WITH COREY !!! YES THE FIRST 3 DAY IS HARD BUT YOU ADJUST … THE FIRST WEEK I LOST 12 POUNDS THE SECOND AND THIRD WEEK 10 POUNDS …. I AM SO HAPPY WITH MY PROGRESS. I WAS WEIGHING 340 POUNDS ABOUT A YEAR AND HALF AGO AND NOW I AM ALMOST AT MY IDEAL WEIGHT 120. THIS DIET HAS CHANGED MY LIFE AROUND … I DO NOT SUFFER FROM SLEEP APNEA … I AM NO LONGER DIABETIC … I HAVE MORE ENERGY !!! LIKE I SAID THIS DIET ROCKS . PLEASE DONT DISCOURAGE OTHER PEOPLE FROM TURNING THEIR LIFES AROUND …. GOOD LUCK TO THOSE WHO TRY DR.LEWIS’S 5 BITE DIET !!!!

Melanie April 30, 2011 at 9:48 am

Your improvements have been wonderful, Cynthia. Well done on getting this far. As you know, I do not recommend this diet for most people, however I appreciate how much you have come on, and how losing so much weight will have impacted your life for the better.

Crystal April 27, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I’ve done copious amounts of research into a variety of fad diets and have tried everything from weight watchers to bodybuilding carb cycling regimens. While some have worked, none have been successful in the long-term. For some reason the 5bd just clicked for me. I love it’s simplicity and the ability to eat whatever my body is telling me I need. I also like the bites versus calorie counting approach. Counting can lead to food obsession and overcompensation. All diets should be tailored to the individual and I am not concerned that most who are struggling with their weight would be capable of following this or any other diet dangerously to a T. I actually get the snickers approach since that’s what I used to snack on back in my skinny days. It would get my blood sugar up immediately and I suppose the protein content helped prevent a crash soon after. Of course that’s not healthy as a recurring replacement but I can see how it would help curb sweet/salty cravings. I’m going to try a modified version for my 20 vanity lbs, but will be sure to get in my protein, veggies, and multivitamins. CR diets like this can actually lead to longevity.

Marc June 16, 2011 at 5:46 am

I’ve just read you original blog and all the comments.

I’m very impressed with how open-minded you obviously are. You replies have certainly matured from your early “lol”s to your graciousness toward those who have found success on this Diet.

One thing you keep repeating though, is how you can understand how this “might be” good for those who have a great deal of weight to lose.

I wonder then, if someone has to lose 150 lbs and it “might be” good for them to get it off by this path, can’t you also see that someone with 30 lbs to lose might not also benefit from getting it off quickly?

Someone with fewer pounds to lose would certainly be done with the Diet more quickly than someone who is morbidly obese. As Doctor Lewis says in his book, If gastric bypass is recommended By Physicians for the least healthy members of our society, why would eating “as if” you had a gastric bypass, be any less healthy for healthier people with only twenty pounds to lose?

In about 3 weeks, these folks would be done — and they’d take a while to figure out their maintenance levels. Maybe they still wouldn’t eat breakfast (or only once in a while), and eat maybe 20 bites for lunch and for dinner. I know I could live comfortably eating a steak and salad in about twenty bites.

Teresa June 17, 2011 at 3:44 pm

We do have fat reserves for a purpose – famine. This diet creates a famine. My only concern is that it may slow the metabolism. However, two people I know have lost a lot of weight on the diet. I saw someone yesterday who has lost 60 lbs in under 3 months. Not only does he look much healthier, he looks ten years younger. I was totally amazed by his transformation. He also said that after day 3 the hunger goes and he has a lot of energy. The proof as they say, is in the pudding…

Marc June 17, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Hi Teresa,

I just wanted to comment how happy I am for your friend.

And I think you’re right about this creating the condition of a famine. Still it’s only a “virtual reality famine.” When one finishes the Diet, they’ll certainly find themselves in a world with more than abundant foods from which to choose. And yet they’ll be choosing to eat Way Less to stay at their Goal Weight than they ever did when Fat.

As far as slowing the metabolism, doesn’t that ultimately equate to… maintaining a “current weight” on Less Food? There may be advantages to a “high metabolism.” I really don’t know. But in a certain way, wouldn’t it be rather advantageous, from an “evolutionary perspective” to be able to live on Less — especially in a world that appears to be heading toward less-food-to-go-around?

Memsep July 2, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I have read this book, while I won’t comment on the arguments for or against actually doing it, I’d like to point out that the book doesn’t say anything remotely near to “go back to eating like you used to.” Part of the process is that once you get to or near your goal weight, you slowly start increasing the number of bites you’re eating until you stop losing weight and instead maintain.

I’ve known many people and seen many other comment after doing this that they became much more conscious not only how much they may have been over eating, but about the kind of junk they may have been eating too. If a person wants to be healthy, and not just skinnier, then they’ll make a change for the better. Plenty of people who have had Weight loss surgery end up gaining all the weight back again, and several types of WLS cannot be preformed a second time.

The author does not encourage people to eat snickers just because. The specific point he makes is that if you were going to eat ONE snickers bar, or sit and eat 50 baby carrots, it’s better to eat the snickers (not saying I agree, that’s just what HE says) This diet system seems to be more geared towards people who do eat healthily, but cannot get a grip on their portions. Carrots are generally better then a snickers bar, but how much does that matter if you’re eating mass quantities of carrots vs one candy bar?

michvermont July 10, 2011 at 5:50 am

Well I think that dieting doesn’t work alone. You have to have a group support in order for you to learn to discipline yourself. I agree with Mimi in interpreting what Dr. Lewis said that “eating normally” means eating what every average human person eats. Eating 5 plates full of burger and fries is not normal right? :)

Melanie July 27, 2011 at 8:58 am

Group support is incredibly important, I totally agree. I also agree that what the average person eats these days is not normal.

Worked for Me! August 26, 2011 at 1:34 am

I did the diet or a close version (one cheat day a week within reason) and it worked great. I lost 35 pounds in just over two months. I did this diet over a year ago and have only gained back five pounds. What this diet basically does is teach portion control. 90% of the battle is over coming physcological idea that we need a ton of food to survive. If everyone over 35 would just cut what they normally eat in half, they would drop or at least maintain a healthy weight.

Melanie September 6, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience. I totally agree with you about cutting back, most people are certainly over consuming. I’m glad you’ve found success.

Laura James October 20, 2011 at 1:02 am

Hello, I’ve gone back to college to get my Masters in nutrition. I am a patient of this doctor and I have to say that this interview doesn’t reveal what he says in his book nor how he checks in with my and my families health.

Lots of morbidly obese people are opting for the lap band or getting their stomachs stapled: They must eat only 5 to 6 bites per meal three times a day or they risk throwing up. The side affects or risks from this surgery can be life threatening.

I am on this diet and want to lose just 30 pounds to reach my BMI. My food choices for five bites a day are very healthy and slow release glucose foods. Meaning, low glycemic for lasting energy. I won’t eat salad as my five bites!

Take healthy nutritional supplements, not junk supplements that are mass produced with fillers, binders and synthetics. There’s a difference in supplements and people are getting wise to it.

Lastly, yes… I cringe when he talks about a Snickers bar twice a day on that interview. Its a bad interview. But, he’s not a quack. He won’t prescribe pills to curb your appetite due to the fact that the body can become accustomed to it and when you go off of the pills you gain a lot of weight.

You have to do this naturally, kick in the fat burning reserves, get it over with and then slowly eat more bites per meal and healthy snacks and observe what maintains your weight forever.

by the way, I am a stunt woman. I am very strong. I am going to maintain my lean muscle and bone and take good care of myself after this goal weight. In contrast, this will not turn you into an anorexic… Doctors believe that this is a condition you are born with and you can’t catch it.

LLJames

Melanie October 20, 2011 at 8:35 am

Thanks for your comments Laura. It’s definitely good to hear another perspective on this topic. I suppose like everything else the most outrageous part of that interview has been posted on the web. Thanks for sharing your point of view with us.

Rhonnie November 19, 2011 at 9:47 am

I know it sounds extreme but I’ve done something similar in the past and it definitely worked and I’ve kept the weight off for years. I think it’s more about WHAT you’re eating when you eat those bites. I mean a lot of diets recommend say 1/2 or 3/4 a cup of cereal for breakfast (ie Weight Watchers) which would be around 5 bites worth. Or a small bowl of strawberries would be about 5 or so bites. A small salad or a palm sized chicken breast would be around 5 bites. When I was doing a similar thing, it wasn’t an actual diet per-say, I was eating a routine diet of cereals, fruit, chicken and veges eating three times a day probably the equivalent of 5 bites per meal as well as a lot of green tea, water and non fat milk and I lost 45 kilos and kept it off for four years now. I don’t still do the five bites thing but it’s a good theory to stick by for eating well because it teaches you portion control, not overeating, allows a bit of freedom because you’re not counting calories or eating specific foods, it’s just a simpler theory like using smaller portions on small plates to create the illusion of more food. I’m in no way anorexic, I’m probably about 5 or so kilograms over the ‘ideal weight’ for my height according to healthy weight charts etc but I don’t think this diet is crazy. It’s just a simple way of controlling your weight and something that can work with you for years. You don’t have to stick tight to it , three 5 bite meals would still make you lose weight without necessarily affecting you psychologically.

Melanie December 2, 2011 at 10:01 am

Hi Rhonnie, Well done on your weight loss success. I agree with you that this could certainly be a good approach if the right foods are chosen, especially as a way to teach portion control. But, you mention that a chicken breast would be about 5 bites, which may be true, but when I’m eating a chicken breast, I’d also have it with a big side of salad. That’s a lot more than 5 bites, but still very healthy.

Amber December 1, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I can’t believe this guy is a doctor!!! This guy makes me fear for the future of medicine. Some people should not be allowed to write books. Some of the stuff he says is insane. A snicker’s bar has protein. “It has nuts in it. Sure.”

Melanie December 2, 2011 at 10:45 am

I know, Amber. As I’ve said before, perhaps this video has picked the worst part of his advice… it makes good TV, I suppose. But unfortunately, lots of people will latch onto only that part, and think it’s okay because a Dr said so.

Mathew P. Harwich January 2, 2012 at 8:13 am

Watch the entire interview, it makes sense. A friend of mine heard about this diet because he went to his doctor who happens to be the author! He has hundreds of success stories of patients healthfully losing weight. On my third day of the 5-bite diet right now, its been very hard but I’m doing fine, man people ant do this because it akes some serious willpower, but that is also very healthy to practice as well… Just remember the acts, no matte how much exercise or however healthy you are ating, the only way to lose weight is to eat less

Melanie January 10, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Hi Matthew, Thanks, I will look for the whole interview.

Katherine B. January 6, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Any “diet” that does not coincide with the definition of “what a person consumes on a regular basis”, often will lead to an eating disorder or disordered eating. A doctor who condones drinking any beverages without calories (Mmm, sucralose/aspartame-ridden-dyed-and-artificially-flavoured-liquids!) also probably does not take into account the impacts of good nutrition. Furthermore, anyone who says, “Just do it until you get to your goal weight”, obviously has never dealt with weight problems in their life. Because if they had, they would know that for people who have, it is difficult and almost impossible to stick to something so rigid.

What a goose. Seriously, a super silly goose “doctor” right there.

Arthur E. Apolinario, MD, MPH January 16, 2012 at 3:34 pm

As a physician who has embraced this diet and helped over 700 people lose 40-200 pounds each, who had been told by Registered dieticians it’s the wrong way to do things, and seeing my patients as a majority get rid of hypertension and diabetes medicines faster and safer than gastric bypass, I wholly endorse this weight loss method. It scared me too, made me fear for their metabolisms. But you can’t argue that burning 1 pound of fat a day due to the system fat was designed for (Starvation during winter in supermarket free natural world) isn’t good for people when you are using it for the way it was designed. Pulmonologists have asked me how I do it, radiologists at a convention in Chicago 6 weeks ago showed how extreme diets clear the heart and coronaries of fat by mri, and I have my own patient’s improvements in blood pressure, bmi, a1c’s, and pulmonary function tests as testimony that this diet is safe, effective, not for everyone (Because of mainly their mental readiness, not because their body isn’t right for it) and is safe for the metabolism, and most importantly, SUSTAINABLE. My patients average 6 pounds of weight gain, and if they go over that, are so ready to get back to portion control to lose it. And yes, people do 5 bites of their favorite food. One patient did all egg mcmuffins. One did all big macs. Bite size is individual to the person. The most common question “how big is a bite?” has a very easy answer. You’ve been eating all your life. You know what a bite is. Don’t cheat by trying to flanagle it and make it bigger. The medical science is only just on the cusp of proving why this works. But you don’t need much other evidence. A gastric bypass diet, without the bypass, is so much more safe than doing it with surgery that for the patients thinking about going under the knife, it makes no sense not to do this first after traditional efforts have failed. Because of all the success stories my community is seeing, they are asking to try this first… and succeeding as well.

Mark Jones January 21, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Firstly i’d just like to say i’m an Exercise Referral Professional.

Now about the video:

Typical Doctor, ain’t got a clue about diet and fitness. He’s a weight of 137 LBS at 6 foot with a BMI of 18.5, even thats not healthy! Little muscle tone = lower metabolism. He states that the diet is healthy, then he recommends taking a multivitamin to get the essential vitamins the body needs….thats contradictory! Any severe calorie deficit will lose drastic weight – this leads to alot of water and muscle loss which slows the metabolism. Those that do the diet will not be able to eat normally again because it would mean more calorie intake which WILL lead to weight gain. He also states that nobody on his diet has put on more weight since he first started talking with them, doesnt mean they didnt put all their weight back on! And, as an Exercise Referral Professional who deals with diabetic clients, i was completely shocked when he encouraged his diabetic patients to eat only snickers bars!! He shouldn’t be in his profession! This is the most ridiculous weight loss program i’ve ever heard of, and i’ve heard of many! The only way to get to a healthy weight for you is through becoming more active and eating the correct calorific amounts for the weight you desire! It is not healthy to lose more than 2 LBS of fat per week. If you didn’t put the weight on overnight then you shouldn’t expect to lose it overnight! The simplicity is: control your eating with the appropriate amounts for you, with healthy options and an active lifestyle.

Regards
Mark

Melanie January 31, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Hi Mark, Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It’s always good to get input from another professional. I appreciate your time.

Mitch January 22, 2012 at 9:10 pm

The negative comments here are all skepticism of what people do not know or understand about the Dr or his suggestions for weigh loss. The positive comments are all by people on the program, read his book and understand its principals and significantly experienced positive results.

Here are some facts. All diets involve starvation of something. If you restrict anything, you are starving yourself from that thing. So we try starving carbs, fat, cholesterol, sugar, etc. That is okay somehow. But restriction of portion size is supposed to be more radical. Why is that?

We expect it is normal to count calories (units of heat) and weigh our food. Is this normal? Normal means you can exist without anything artificial. What you eat, you need to eat and thrive, what you don’t need you don’t eat. No artificial device or measurement should be required.

All diets I have been on, and there have been many, suggest they have the right approach. Really? Then why are there thousands of diets and diet books? Which ‘one’ is right? Why are you alone more righteous than this medical doctor?

More importantly we focus too much on measuring during the loss period and that creates trouble for most of us including anxiety for missing a measurement. We focus on the time of diet as if it was a fixed time game. We don’t focus on outcome as permanent. We expect we will need to diet again to lose a few pounds for an event or the holiday. It is not normal to live this way. To permanent lose weight requires permanent modification of lifestyle to have lasting effects.

The body is simply an organism that consumes food to grow and maintain healthy tissues. The body converts food to sugar which is used by the organs of the body to function well. Everything else that is consumed and not needed is either excreted or stored as fat. On this we can all agree. We are fat (ie we retain too much fat tissue) because we over consume too much of what we don’t need. I hope we can all agree on this, too.

So we have to eat less to weight less?

A note on constipation. When you eat less, you eliminate less often. When you stop forcing too much food through your system, the system gets plugged up. There is no more waste pushing it. So you will get constipation in the first weeks of this program. Once the plumbing is cleared of debris, this is no longer a problem. Your body adapts to the new normal just fine.

Dr. Lewis is a California licensed medical doctor trained at one of the most prestigious medical schools in the US. I don’t think his credentials can be challenged. I don’t think his intentions can be challenged either.

He researched for years the diets we have all tried and failed to keep off weight. He was concerned for the health of his patients who were medically ill due to overweight. He was troubled that they all failed to lose and keep weight off and as a result suffered medical complications. We can all agree we eat too much, and we are getting much sicker as a result.

So Dr. Lewis wanted to find something that worked long term.

In the bypass procedure, the cutting of the stomach’s capacity is not what causes the weight loss. It is the restriction that the smaller stomach capacity makes on the bodies’ ability to eat volumes of food. There are no dietary, mental or other prerequisites for getting bypass surgery in the US. If you are ‘overweight’, you pay the fee and get cut. We have clinics in LA that are thriving doing this very thing as though there are no complications or risks. This practice is, amazing to me, seen as okay by nearly everyone. Why is that? Why are you not as shocked and judgmental about massive unnecessary surgery, as you seen to be about eating 5 bites of food twice a day? Which of the two is really more radical?

If you have not read the book. And you have not. If you have not personally observed a person who begins and maintains this program and who, after attaining desired weight keeps it off, and you have not, how can you possibly pass harsh judgement? What is your proof beyond your skepticism and speculation?

It is your blog and you are free to have an opinion, but be honest. It is just your opinion and not supported by medical evidence.

I was attracted to this program because my friend lost 120 pounds eating this way. He did so in 9 months being monitored by a physician.

He gave me Dr. Lewis’ book. I read it. I did my research. It made sense that this was a more rational approach than surgery. I was over weight, my BP was high and I knew I had to change or suffer as I got older.

I started at 61 years old, 6’3 and 365 pounds. The first three days were a challenge. What diet have you been on that was not? But after the 3rd day something happened. I stopped craving for vast portions of food. I lost weight. I was not hungry. I did not notice it much, but soon my clothes hung loosely. I did not weigh myself often, but I felt better. I had more energy in the morning and slept better at night.

At the end of the first month, I had a routine doctor’s visit. He weighed me and I had lost 30 pounds. He was happy but not knowing about the diet wanted to be sure I was not anemic. He ordered a full blood panel and urinalysis. All came back normal. He suggested I keep going on the plan and he will keep a watchful eye.

Suffice to say I have thus far lost 100 pounds in 7 months. Still eat 5 bites and continue to lose. I have gone from a 54″ waist to a 42″ waist. My doctor has been amazed and is finally reading Dr. Lewis’ book as he has many overweight patients he has been referring for bypass surgery.

I am not hungry. I don’t crave sweets or baked goods as I once did. I eat and feel satisfied with a small portion of food. I cannot eat mass quantities without pain (I have tried and cannot do it). I have stopped snoring (I was nearly recommended for a CPAP machine) and I now sleep like a baby.

I just came back from a cruise and ate without restriction of choices. I just kept the volume down to 5 bites. I gained only a few pounds on the cruise, but they quickly went away when I resumed my home eating.

It is not just me. My wife has thus far lost 46 pounds. She has been removed from insulin injections for T2 diabetes. She has lower BP, too, and feels much better. She is not exhausted after work or sleepy in the early evenings as she once was. We eat way less. Buy fresh foods at the market and always share a small portion when dining out.

We have seen no drawbacks. NONE, and we have inspired many others to go on this program by our example.

It is amazing that people first say they can’t do this program. But they can eat a pound of chocolate or ice cream in one sitting, survive 3 passes at a buffet or snack all day long on sweets and not find that extraordinary.

This is not a diet but a lifestyle change that focuses on smaller portions than ‘normal’ and a metabolic change that wonderfully removes the cravings for snacking. I do not any longer have the urge to eat mass quantities of anything. I deny myself nothing. If I really want a piece of candy, I eat ‘one’, I am satisfied and don’t feel any guilt.

Small quantities are considered the norm in every hospital. Just look at what amounts of food you are served and note that all patients in a hospital lose weight. Why is that?

Have you looked at the portions on any package of food? They are small. I used to laugh as I would eat the whole package marked 4 portions. Those portions are the recommended daily allowance of the American FDA. Is that quackery, too? Turns out they are correct. I now eat the RDA of food. Why is that so bad?

Stop taking a comment or two out of context. The Snickers option is to say that is the correct amount of food and if there is no other alternative food option when you to meal time, you can eat one of those in a pinch. It is not a suggestion to eat candy bars as your regular meal. In fact the whole point is to stop focusing on what you eat altogether and concern yourself with how much you eat.

Even 5 of the largest bites you can force into your mouth is smaller that a typical portion of food in a restaurant. The more you eat per bite, the slower the weight loss. Simple. This is not about parody or exaggeration. 5 bites is about a simple metric for anyone to modify lifestyle and eating habits. Don’t focus on 4,5 or 8 bites. The number is not the message. It is that eating less that makes the weight come off and stay off. Eating 5 bites makes it come off quicker.

Why is any diet necessary? If you eat a normal portion of food, the body will be fine. We don’t eat what the body needs. We eat far more than needed.

Why is any surgery better than a change of diet? It cannot be.

Why is eating liquids, taking pills, getting injections or becoming depending on food shipments and suffering the consequences of such diets and dependencies not as disgusting to you as most have reacted to this 5 bite program. A program you have neither experienced, nor witnessed nor supervised.

I was most impressed by the chart of successful people Dr. Lewis supervised through the program. People of all ages and both genders. Including seniors.

I was most convinced because this Dr had no scheme to monetize this program for himself. He sells no pills, no shots, no supplements, no food. Nothing. He does not want you dependent on him. We should all be so fortunate to find a Dr. like that.

He does offers a support mechanism for US$50 per year on his web site if you wish the support. He will see you personally if you wish person guidance from him, and he will coordinate with any medical doctor who inquires of him. Quacks hide. Not this doctor.

He isn’t getting rich getting you to spend monthly money with him. He is not dependent on month payments from you. As a result, he can recommend a program that will help most lose the weight as fast as practical for them. All other programs want you to lose slowly to keep making those payments and keep you buying their products. Why is there no outrage over that?

On this program, you gain self-sufficiency and your mind and body reprogram itself to eat well enough to thrive. My physician has monitored my health throughout and has been delightfully surprised that I have had such rapid and dramatic positive weight loss. He has seen no negative impact whatsoever.

The biggest outcome for this program contradicts your speculations. Nearly all people who follow it do not regain the weight. We have modified our habits. We don’t feel starved. We have lost fat, not muscle tissue nor organ tissue. Our mental states have never been better. (Getting compliments of how good you looks never gets old).

I now have enough energy and stamina to finally exercise, so I walk and swim as I have never been able to do before. Most obese people simply cannot do any exercise. It is too painful and they have no stamina.

Oddly, why don’t we ask ourselves how many bypass patients re-stretch their small stomach and put weight back on because they have done nothing to reprogram their eating habits.

Nearly every bypass patient regains some or all of their weight after the surgery. Why is there no outrage over that? They still crave food and eat far too much. Worse, they have exhausted future surgical solutions going forward and short of future dietary restraint will continue to be obese.

We can agree that if you have emotional problems you should get help from a specialist to handle that. If you have a weight problem you should find a professional and a program to help you with this physical problem. You should get professional guidance on any medical or emotional problem and this program is not an exception. My wife and I eat this way and my doctor is watching. We are all happy as can be.

I am grateful to Dr. Lewis to have found in the 5 bite diet something so simple, so easy and so cost effective to enable me get to my optimal weight and health.

If after you read the program and learn about it, you can choose to reject it as an informed choice. I would expect however, that you might like the results once you begin.

GiGi Eats Celebrities March 6, 2012 at 4:18 am

If you want to hear about some RIDICULOUS diets, you should follow my web series, GIGI EATS CELEBRITIES. Episode two will be airing tomorrow… 24 episodes in total, so there is A LOT MORE TO COME!! But come on over to my web site tomorrow and check em out. Already releases an episode about the Baby Food Diet… I shall also touch upon such diets as the 7-day color diet, egg diet, etc!

Melanie March 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Sounds really interesting, I’ll definitely check it out.

Alex May 10, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Wow!
I would probably collapse on the first day of that diet.
First because I hate coffee and second I can’t think/do/go anything/anywhere without a proper breakfast.
I’m not an expert but wouldn’t if we are on this rigorous diet after awhile body start to conserve fat just in case starvation continues and lower our metabolic functions (or something like that) instead?
I think that can be dangerous. Five bites definitely aren’t enough.

Melanie May 10, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I couldn’t cope on this diet either, Alex. I don’t know how people can… they are stronger than me!

ANNA July 30, 2012 at 3:29 am

this diet work great for me . melanie unless you come cook 6 meals a day for me then i might listen to you but for now i am loving the five bite life

Melanie July 31, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Sorry Anna, lol cooking for myself is difficult enough at times. Best wishes.

GiGi Eats Celebrities October 3, 2012 at 3:30 am

I am sorry but I am going to eat as many bites as I want, this is ridiculous and I know I would be left STARING if I ever followed it… Or, if I did follow it I would wind up choking a lot because I would take the BIGGEST BITES EVER! LOL!

Melanie October 18, 2012 at 2:42 pm

lol I would be useless at this diet, too. Hats off to anyone who can stick with it!

Kristin October 5, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Wow! Mitch’s long post from 1/22/12 was absolutely wonderful! So very honest and insightful. I am so appreciative of everything that he wrote. Thank you SO much, Mitch! I’m even going to copy the entire message and save it onto my computer so that I can reread it at any time and also share it with others who may need some inspiration.
I, myself, am currently on the 5 Bite Diet, and I am now witnessing with absolute amazement at how all of the weight that I’ve spent the past 20 years struggling to lose is now effortlessly falling off of me! This is the most wonderful way of eating ever! I was so amazed by how my hunger literally disappeared after the first day, and how completely effortless this way of eating has been ever since. And this is coming from a person who, several years ago, suffered from the most extreme Compulsive Overeating/Binge Disorder you’ve ever seen. I used to eat around 30,000 calories a day, and that is NOT an exaggeration. Eating was like a full-time job for me, and it ruled my life. It took me 10 years to get myself out of such extreme food addiction and to where I could eat more normally, but yet, even after conquering the addiction, I found that I still had trouble with my portions being too big. Also, I found that I would still eat (whether hungry or not) whenever I felt stress, whenever I was bored, whenever other people around me were eating, when I saw food that looked good or smelled food that smelled good, or just because I was sitting in front of the television. But the 5 Bite Diet has completely changed ALL of those bad habits for me! It has completely retrained me to eat the way that I naturally did as a teenager — eating smaller portions, ONLY eating in response to actual hunger, and stopping when I feel satiated. This way of eating has literally given me my life back. It has been a dream come true.

Nox November 2, 2012 at 10:34 am

The saddest part is that some people have fallen for this ’5-bite’ diet. I’d encourage anyone trying to lose weight and maintain a healthier lifestyle (myself included!), to not be into quick fad fixes – yes, you may see results quicker, but long-term, you also compromise your health in such a huge way. This “Dr” Lewis would have done better to keep his opinion to himself.

Mitch November 2, 2012 at 1:15 pm

It is amusing to read people condemn what they do not know, understand or have even tried.

After a year, I am still at my desired weight, my health is ideal, and my need to eat mass quantities of food are gone. My skeptical doctors were and remain amazed, but the tests consistently reveal the truth of this program.

Fresh fruits and vegetables are cheap, nutritious and satisfying. I can taste them now. I no longer crave processed food or sugary sweets. I can, and do, eat anything, just in small amounts.

You eat only when you are hungry, stay hydrated and small portions, which satisfy all your physical needs.

As a result, I spend my life living actively now instead of obsessing over food. That freedom is priceless.

You can mock this program and keep your weight, or do this program knowing that your life will be much better in a very short while.

If you lose your bias, you will lose your weight and regain your well-being.

PS I am not related to, nor have any financial interest in Dr. Lewis’ practice. Just one person very grateful for his studies on weight loss and the simple weight loss program he scripted.

Pdidit April 29, 2014 at 1:22 pm

When I first saw this on the Dr. Oz show I was disgusted that Dr. Oz would give attention to such a seemingly dangerous fad diet that would surely play on young girls with eating disorders.

Curiosity got the best of my though, and the more I thought about it I realized that my extra 10-15 pounds since I turned 40 were all caused by consuming too much food, even though for the most part they were the right kinds of food. Even with a very healthy diet, my salads for lunch were enormous and left me feeling sluggish. Maybe they were expanding my stomach? For dinner I would binge at least twice a week and eat massive quantities of food.

I am reading a fascinating book called The Jungle Effect which discusses “cold zones” in the world where people live the longest, healthiest lives. One thing these people had in common is they were not eating massive quantities of food. Money and food is more scarce because they are eating locally grown foods. I thought of my 85 year old mother, who for the most part is extremely healthy and realized she doesn’t eat much more than is called for on the 5-Bite Diet – a very small bowl of food for lunch and dinner and maybe a small piece of pita bread dipped in tahini and date syrup for breakfast. She never eats out and everything she eats she makes herself.

So I decided I could try anything for a week, and maybe this diet would train me not to eat so much. Yesterday was my first day and I was somewhat uncomfortable with hunger pains, but drank tea all night to help me through it. I did also have a small handful of berries before bed and my 5 bite meals were healthy foods including chicken, whole grains and vegetables. This morning I was pleasantly surprised that I had lost 3 pounds and the hunger pains did not wake up with me. I am going to stick with this for one week only and then go back to a healthy diet, hopefully consuming less calories.

Dr. Lewis makes a strong point. He says we can sometimes gain 5 lbs in a weekend… we should be able to lose it that quickly too! I do think this diet has the potential to draw in anorexics and others with eating disorders – but so do other healthy diet fads like juicing.

For an extremely obese person, I think it’s better to do this diet and eat whatever you want, whether it be burgers or mac and cheese than suffer the complications from obesity and go through a difficult surgery which doesn’t seem to be the miracle answer. For the rest of us, it might be a useful tool we can use after we’ve binged for a week or two on vacation to get us back into the habit of eating appropriate portions and being mindful of what we put in our mouths. You are not going to scarf down 5 bites when you know that’s all you’re getting until the next meal! You can choose healthy foods on this diet which are also filling like avocado and whole grains… it doesn’t have to be junk food.

pirater un compte facebook possible July 10, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Mignon,contaminés argent au milieu atteindre sur littrale ouvrir
un compte facebook live.fr. apporter off des lments, profil facebook pour une
association.

http://facebook-hack-tool-2014.blogspot.com July 16, 2014 at 4:05 am

What’s up, I check your new stuff like every week. Your story-telling style is awesome, keep doing what you’re doing!

Alan July 18, 2014 at 3:38 pm

The diet works. During the first 10 days I have lost 16.3 lbs and reduced my BMI from 35 to 32.5.
I drink coffee, tea, and water, and take a multivitamin in the morning. I eat 5 bites for lunch and 5 bites for dinner and have only had 1 Snickers bar in 10 days. I prefer eating real food.
I don’t feel ravaged. What is encouraging about Dr. Lewis’ diet is it empowers the dieter to understand he or she can control their intake and therefore once the goal has been reached the individual can continue to exercise control over how much they eat in order to maintain an ideal weight.
I’ve been surprised by how little I can eat and feel ok and just how much I overate before.
The beauty of this diet plan is there are no magic shakes, pills, or supplements and no expensive prepackaged meal plans. It’s all real food where you can vary what you eat to satisfy any food you may be craving however you limit the volume. In actual fact this diet will save you money because your grocery bills will decrease significantly while you are dieting.
The objective is to take the excess weight off as rapidly as possible and then return to fuller meals where normal is what we should have been eating all along.