10 Healthy Breakfast Ideas for Kids

sxc.hu: pnijhuis

I’m very much in favour of eating a good breakfast in the morning. In fact, I don’t function very well without it.

And, I think breakfast is particularly important for kids, to help them get all the nutrients and energy they need.

If you think about it, by the time your child wakes up, they may have gone up to 12 hours without eating anything.

Naturally blood sugars will be low, and leaving home without eating breakfast could lead to difficulties concentrating. Research suggests a 12 year old, who skips breakfast, has the same brainpower as a 70 year old in the classroom.

But, does matter what my kids eat for breakfast?

Well, I suppose eating something is better than nothing. But, if your child’s breakfast bowl is filled with sugary cereal, it’s really not cutting it.

Some time ago, a Which report revealed 22 cereals specifically aimed at kids, had more sugar per suggested serving than a jam doughnut!

Eek… that’s bad!

And, what annoys me even more is, the fact that these are marketed to kids.

But, before you get despondent…

Rest assured it is entirely possible to find healthy breakfast ideas for kids, that won’t have them bouncing off the walls in a sugar-induced fit.

Here are my top 10, healthy breakfast ideas for kids:

#1 Boiled eggs with wholegrain bread soldiers, and a fresh fruit smoothie.

#2 Grilled tomatoes and mushrooms on wholegrain toast, with a side of natural yoghurt and peach slices.

#3 Toasted wholegrain pitta bread with hummus, raw vegetable sticks, and a side of natural yoghurt and berries.

#4 Brown rice or barley, cooked the night before, and topped with sliced apple, a sprinkling of cinnamon, and a little milk the following morning.

#5 Wholemeal bagel with natural nut butter, an orange, and a glass of milk.

#6 Low-sugar cereal, such as Weetabix, with calcium-enriched soy milk, and a small handful of dried fruit, rather than adding sugar.

#7 Oatmeal (porridge) with blueberries, and a small glass of 100% pure fruit juice.

#8 Wholewheat tortilla wrap topped with one slice of grilled bacon, a little cottage cheese, tomato slices, and served with 100% pure fruit juice.

#9 Oatcakes spread with natural nut butter, served with an apple, and a glass of calcium-enriched rice milk.

#10 Omelette sandwich – fry some vegetables such as red peppers and mushrooms, add 2 eggs, then heat until cooked through. Prepare a wholegrain pitta with a layer of sliced tomatoes, baby spinach leaves, some grated cheese, and fold the omelette into the pita pocket — enjoy!

Or, how about trying the recipe below?

Healthy Breakfast Muffins

These are perfect if you are very little time in the mornings. Team with a glass of milk, and you’re good to go!

Recipe from BBC Good Food

250ml milk
125g blueberries

Other ideas:
Add 50g saltanas to the mixture for a fruity muffin
Or, 50g other dried fruit such as cranberries, apricots

Method:

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the plain flour, wholemeal flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Create a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the mashed bananas, egg yolks, milk and sunflower oil. Mix together gently with a wooden spoon until a wet batter forms, but do not overmix.
  2. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the muffin batter along with the blueberries and any other additions you wish to include, until everything is mixed through evenly.
  3. Divide the muffin mixture between 12 individual muffin cases and place in a preheated oven at 200C/fan 180C/gas mark 6 for 25 minutes, until well risen and golden brown ontop.
  4. The muffins will keep for up to 4-5 days in a sealed tin or plastic container but preferably eaten on the day or day after baking for a fresher muffin. The muffins can also be frozen in a zipped plastic bag, thaw for 1 hour or until defrosted then pop in the oven for 10 minutes to reheat.

Now it’s your turnwhat’s the favourite breakfast in your home?

Eric Mittenthal April 15, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Great points about breakfast. Our research finds that just about everyone knows its important but most people don’t eat it everyday. Research has consistently shown a variety of benefits for kids and adults alike. For more recipes and info on why breakfast is so important check out our resource page here: http://www.foodinsight.org/For-Consumers/Breakfast-Resources.aspx

-Eric Mittenthal
Director, Media Relations
International Food Information Council Foundation

Melanie April 16, 2010 at 6:30 am

Hey Eric,
Thanks so much for sharing your resources page.

bobbie April 16, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Great post. Right now I eat a quinoa muffin with PB2 peanut butter. You can look up PB2 at http://www.bellplantation.com. I make my own quinoa muffins by adding quinoa flour, applesauce [instead of oil], vanilla protein powder, raisins, 2 eggs, etc. I put some of the PB2 on it and some fruit on the side. I figured this out to be about 200 [plus or minus 15-20] calories. Since I do some sort of exercise every morning [tennis, power walk, zumba], I probably burn this off in no time. My kids eat them too.

Melanie April 19, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Hi Bobbie,
Your muffin recipe sounds great, and what a bonus to have your kids eating these rather than a sugar-filled breakfast cereal.

Blake April 16, 2010 at 8:28 pm

I love breakfast. Sometimes it’s a banana, strawberry, apple smoothie or sometimes some whole wheat toast w/ peanut butter. Just whatever I’m feeling. thanks for that recipe.. looks good!
.-= Blake´s last blog ..My Calzone Experiment =-.

Melanie April 19, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I love peanut butter and toast, that’s one of my favourite breakfasts too. I used to buy it in tubs from the health store, when I lived in Australia, where they crush the peanuts to order, it was amazing I promise! I haven’t been able to find it here in the UK unfortunately.

Shirley April 19, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I can’t function without breakfast either, Melanie. An egg gets my vote for the most sustaining breakfast. Have you or any of your readers tried porridge with berries stirred in, a little extra milk poured around the edge of the bowl (I like my porridge to float like a little island on this!) and a drizzle of maple syrup on top? – Yum! Those muffins sound delicious – will have to give them a go. They would be great for a lunchbox, too, wouldn’t they?

Melanie April 19, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Hi Shirley,
Lovely to hear from you.

Yes, porridge with berries is fab. And, I totally agree with you about the extra milk — that’s exactly how I like it. Armen doesn’t agree, though, he likes his “stodgy!” :-)

Another one I enjoy is porridge with a little cinnamon and finely sliced apples. It reminds me of Australia — first time I had it was at Polda Camp, which is the children’s bible weekend. Happy memories.

Matthew Denos April 20, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I was recently reading a relevant study. People who eat breakfast consume on average 450 kJ less food a day. That’s equivalent to 107.5 calories.

To those who are not familiar with calories and food energy, let me explain:

A reduction of intake by 107.5 cals/day, everything else being equal, would burn off the equivalent of 2.2 lb fat approximately every 73 d or 11 lb fat every year! And that’s by just not skipping breakfast!

Here is the abstract of the study:

Melanie April 22, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Hi Matthew,
Thanks for sharing the study results. It’s certainly an important message to get across.

Matthew Denos April 20, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Mel, I like your muffin recipe! I want to try itusing wholemeal flour instead of plain.

Melanie April 22, 2010 at 8:29 pm

You’re right, that would definitely work too.

GrowingRaw April 26, 2010 at 1:12 pm

My kids have green smoothies with their breakfast a couple of times a week. This is especially beneficial to my 2 year old son, who doesn’t eat any cooked green veggies. He did nibble on a lettuce leaf last week because I let him eat it with the mini tongs he wanted to play with, but that’s about it. In green smoothies (which he loves) he’ll drink blended raw spinach, parsley or bok choy. Thank goodness!

Melanie April 26, 2010 at 10:31 pm

GrowingRaw,
Your smoothies sound fab. Good work with the lettuce leaf the other week, too!! Baby steps, right? :-)

Stan May 1, 2010 at 5:56 am

I give my kids green smoothies every day. They LOVE them! A real simple idea is to use chocolate flavored green superfood powders like ones from Amazing Grass company. 1 scoop blended with 12 ounces of almond milk is all you need to do.

Another great recipe is to use almond milk, a frozen banana, spirulina and hemp or rice protein powder.

If you want to make it even more nutrient-dense, add a tablespoon of coconut oil, a teaspoon of cinnamon or a handful of parsley. With sweetened almond milk, vanilla protein powder and the frozen banana, it still tastes like a banana-vanilla shake!
.-= Stan´s last blog ..May 1, What Causes Heart Disease? The Cholesterol Myth Debunked =-.

Melanie May 3, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Wow Stan, thanks from your suggestions. Really fab ideas there. And, I love how you can get your kids to drink green smoothies.

Stan May 1, 2010 at 6:04 am

Oh, hey- I forgot to mention that I have lots of smoothie tips and great recipes on my website: http://www.antioxidants-for-health-and-longevity.com/how-to-make-a-smoothie.html

Green smoothies can be the most nutrient-dense meals imaginable. I manage to pack the equivalent of 6 servings of dark green vegetables into a 12oz. smoothie and still have it taste like dessert!

Melanie May 3, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Thanks for the link :-) I’m intrigued, I will have to test out some of your ideas.

Menekse May 14, 2010 at 11:38 am

Hey Melanie!

Great recipe – thanks! I’ve printed it out and stuck it into my “Recipe” file for when i escape from college and am in charge of my own eating habits again :-)

Love your website! I check it out regularly :-) very inspirational!

Melanie May 15, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Hi Menekse,
Aw, thank you so much! I’m glad you have been checking out the site, good stuff! :-)

Sara June 2, 2011 at 11:40 am

Yeah, my parents say I have to have breakfast before going to school but, seriously I don’t have the time so I just grab a peace of bread and put a little peanut butter on it then catch the bus.
Is it true that without breakfast, I won’t grow? I have a weird feeling that that’s what’s gonna happen and I tried to wake up earlier but I realized that it’s impossible ;)
Yeah anyway, in class I can’t focus on what the teacher says but that doesn’t matter. AH! I just don’t have the time and, oh, in the morning I don’t feel like eating anything. I don’t know why! I’m just not hungry.
Well I guess that’s just me. I suggest (for the people who don’t eat breakfast. Just like me) to take their breakfast with them to school. Weird idea. I know. But sometimes we like have no choice and we have to do that. By we, I mean me.

Melanie June 4, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Hi Sara,
No, it’s not true that if you don’t have breakfast you won’t grow. But, like you have already noticed, not having breakfast can make it more difficult for you to focus in class.

If you’re not hungry first thing in the morning, you may be eating too late the night before. Taking something with you to school is absolutely fine when you’re running out of time. A piece of fruit would also be a good option to grab and go.

Amy August 18, 2011 at 1:32 am

These sound great. Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day. Currently for breakfast in our house, I’ve been making rice porridge (made with filtered water), then add homemade stewed apple and rhubarb mix, sprinkling of linseeds, chia seeds, chopped almonds, sheeps yoghurt and then bit of coconut on top to help with tartness of the yoghurt. I then add a dash of rice milk…it is delicious, fulfilling, warm and it keeps you going well into lunch time. My husband who has always been a bit of a sceptic can’t believe how much better he feels eating this in the mornings.

Melanie August 18, 2011 at 9:03 am

Aw that is great Amy. I’m so glad your husband has noticed the difference too. It’s always difficult to convince someone of something unless they experience it for themselves. Breakfast at your house sounds amazing. What is sheep’s yogurt like? I’ve never tried it.

Inspirational Quotes March 20, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of Breakfast Ideas For Kids – Healthy Eating Tips . Thanks for the post. I will certainly comeback.

rekhu August 30, 2012 at 5:11 am

my kids go to school at 8.15 i dont have enugh time to cook and feed them n milk is not enugh to them so help me with quick and liquid recipes

Melanie September 19, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Hi Rekhu,
Here are some more breakfast ideas. Also, have you tried making something the night before, then keeping it in the fridge for breakfast? I haven’t tried this recipe for overnight oats, but have been meaning to: http://www.sweet-remedy.com/2012/05/berry-banana-overnight-oats/

Riley August 25, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Thanks for recommending cereal because before my mom would not let me have any accept for a healthy treat

Reverse Mortgage Qualification January 8, 2014 at 9:30 pm

It also assumes that the customers answers are factually correct and the final choice is made solely by the consumer.
There`ll be a date set by the Sheriff on which he`ll come and evict you if at all you don`t
move out. In October 2012, Williams pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit mail fraud, conspiracy to commit money laundering,
and mail fraud.

JC January 22, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Great diet info, but my kids wouldn’t eat any of this, and I don’t know many who would. Before you all bash me, I acknowledge there are some kids who may, but let’s be honest… few and far between. Would love to see more kid friendly options.

Melanie January 22, 2014 at 8:13 pm

I’m interested to know what you think ‘kid friendly’ options would look like JC?

social media Marketing Delray Beach June 13, 2014 at 8:41 am

The point of using social traffic sources is
to create conversation. That’s a perceptive and funny comment about being grounded.
They will advertise their job with a description of what needs
to be done and you will have to chance to “bid” and write a proposal for them.
Linked – In – Linked – In is a site for building personal networks based on affiliation. For more practical and actionable advice
from Swinton Counseling’s official blog, click here. All
businesses need to pay attention and proactively manage their reputation in the social media world.
Why would you think an international corporation like Facebook would care
about you. Another excellent benefit is increased traffic
to the main site. It is important that you gain an understanding of the substance
behind that choice to cheat so that you can create meaning from the affair to prevent another affair from happening.
If you’re determined to show everyone how brilliant you are by debating on the web, please
do keep in mind that you might be so brilliant you forget to be kind.

Storage units in Annapolis maryland July 1, 2014 at 8:39 pm

The company offers low cost service and makes shipping process convenient.

Individuals can check the availability of various companies on the web.
They usually provide long distance mover provides services to the
customer who wants it from them.

what is triple net lease July 4, 2014 at 6:05 am

You may want to invest in real estate because you need to live in your own home.
The airport is located on Lehigh Street, two miles
southwest of Allentown, and is under the control of the LNAA,
which will consider the mayor’s proposal at its June 20 executive committee meeting.
Make an offer that is sure to include all your costs after buying and make a profit for you.
However, as of the time of this writing, as long as proper paperwork is filed and all is disclosed
and agreed to by all parties involved, nothing about this strategy is illegal.
So the rent guaranty by the single-entity LLC does
not mean much since it does not have much assets. Sometimes, even with prime commercial properties, furniture rental can really add to the space.
Landscaping adds value to your property and also give your home curb appeal.

South East PA offers expedient access to main transportation, counting roads, buses,
trains and airports, with ease of access to Philadelphia, Wilmington parts and the world therefore making South East PA Real Estate Investing
a good deal. The Final Proposal provides that its terms “are hereby accepted by the parties subject only to approval of the terms and conditions of a formal agreement. It’s hard to beat a job for short term money, but in a job you are exchanging your time for money and you only have so much time.