Breakfast Ideas for When You’ve Got No Time

You wake up with a jump, grab your watch and realise, “Oh no, I’ve slept in, again!” Breakfast is the last thing on your mind, but you know it’s the most important meal of the day. If only you had some quick breakfast ideas for such moments.

Those late mornings have happened to us all, but if you’re consistently running late in the mornings with barely enough time to get yourself together, you’re not going to be performing at your best by missing breakfast regularly.

This is where this post will come in handy. In just a moment, I’m going to share with you some quick breakfast ideas to help you out.

Good breakfast ideas are important

A good breakfast will help rev up your metabolism for the rest of the day, provide you with energy, and help with concentration, amongst other things.

So, if you want to avoid that mid-morning, post-caffeine slump, getting a balanced breakfast is a must.

Good breakfast ideas must have…

Aim to eat a breakfast which ranges between 300-500 calories (depending on your own calorie requirements), supplies a healthy does of protein, some slow burning carbohydrates, with at least 2-5 grams of dietary fibre.

Remember that carbohydrates are the body’s preferred source of fuel, so you don’t want to start your day without them, even if the rest of your diet is lower in carbs.

Also, a small amount of healthy fats will give you that extra staying power, so you don’t feel your tummy rumbling an hour later.

So, here are 5 quick breakfast ideas that you can prepare in less than five minutes…

breakfast ideas

sxc.hu: zyon

1. Power packed oatmeal

Simply prepare 1/3 of a cup of oatmeal with water. Then once it’s finished cooking, stir in one tablespoon of natural nut butter.

Have either one cup of reduced fat milk, or a cup of natural yoghurt on the side, to increase the protein, as well boost the calcium content. Then grab an apple to munch on your way out the door.

Soak your oats overnight to speed up their cooking time.

Time: about 4 minutes

2. Chocolate cravers smoothie

If you look for something sweet to start your day, it’s easy to find a breakfast to meet your taste buds, without compromising on health.

To get a healthy dose of protein, blend together one scoop of chocolate protein powder, half a cup of milk, half a cup of natural yoghurt, one banana, along with one tablespoon of natural nut butter.

If you like something that has a thicker consistency, add in 2-3 ice cubes while blending.

The whole thing’s done in less than 3 minutes, and will give you protein, fats, and a small amount of carbs, all for under 350 calories.

3. Yoghurt parfait

If you like something really light on the tummy, go for this yoghurt parfait.

Simply scoop about a quarter cup of natural yoghurt into a bowl, and then top with a handful of mixed berries (blueberries and raspberries work great). On top of that, add a sprinkling of low-fat granola, along with a few flaxseeds for healthy fats.

Repeat this layering process one more time and your dish is complete.

I’d suggest doing this the night before. If you’re really stuck for time in the mornings, put the parfait into a plastic container, and eat when you get to work.

Time: less than 1 minute

4. Egg white omelette

I know this is “quick breakfast ideas,” but an omelette can be a really quick option — you just need to be perpared the night before.

I’d suggest slicing some red peppers, mushrooms, onions, or whatever vegetables you’d like to include, the night before, then all you need to do is throw it together in the morning.

Eggs make for a perfect quick breakfast idea, and are one of the best sources of protein to start your day off with.

All you need to do is whisk together 5-6 egg whites, and then pour into a pan that’s been coated with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once it’s starting to brown on the edges, flip, and toss in your vegetables.

When finished cooking, transfer to a plate and top with a quarter cup of salsa. Serve alongside a slice of toasted wholegrain bread. Grab a pear on your way out and you’re ready for the day!

Time: about 4 minutes

5. Bran muffins

Why not bake some healthy bran muffins on the weekend, then all you need to do is grab one in the morning, along with a piece of fresh fruit.

Healthy muffins are also a great option to have in your freezer — when you know you’re going to be pushed for time in the morning, just leave some to defrost on your work counter the previous evening, and they’ll be ready to eat in the morning.

Time: less than 1 minute

Here’s a recipe I’m going to try out this weekend

Click the next page to see a recipe for super-fast Banana Bran Muffins which you could make for breakfast…

Pages: 1 2

Blog Yourself Thin June 10, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Thanks for sharing the recipes! I have a tendency to skip breakfast so I definitely need to work on that. The Banana Bran Muffins sound great :)

Feel free to check out my blog: http://www.blogyourselfthin.com/
.-= Blog Yourself Thin´s last blog ..Healthy Steps to Weight Loss =-.

Melanie June 12, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Yes, they do. I didn’t get a chance yet to try them, but they’re on my list!

Cathy in NZ June 13, 2010 at 2:44 am

I’m a toasted sandwich brekky person…I guess I could slice up some of the things I use but I have everything in the fridge so it’s just a case of layering the preferred item on bread and popping in the sandwich maker…

My usual fillings are ‘spread on both slices’; raw onion finely sliced, 2 slices of cheese, thinly sliced tomatoe to cover, some cooked ‘side back bacon’

OK it’s probably not all that healthy but it can keep me going for a long period in the morning. Occasionally I will have kind of omelette with it – if there time.

I cook all the bacon in advance so it’s in the fridge – removing excess fat as I place it on the bread. If I’ve not bacon I have some things like a meat patty. But I find the bacon just adds something moreish to the mix.

with an additonal hot chocolate made from 1/2 water/milk I’m really well stoked

I used to have oat porridge, but I’ve gone off that temporarily :-)
.-= Cathy in NZ´s last blog ..Classes finished but still 1000s of words to GO! =-.

Melanie June 15, 2010 at 11:10 pm

I’m in favour of porridge for breakfast these days. I have it with cinnamon and grated apple, which is really nice.

Andrew Wilder June 16, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I made Blueberry Protein Pancakes this morning — though they took about 10 minutes (probably about the same time as that egg white omelette), they’re delicious, filling, and healthy.

Throw a cup of raw oatmeal, 3/4 cup egg whites, 1 cup fat-free Greek Yogurt or Cottage Cheese, and 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon in a blender. Puree until smooth, and then cook just like regular pancakes!

I’ve posted the full recipe on my blog:

:-)

- Andrew

Melanie June 22, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Hi Andrew,
I’m going to try your idea when I get back from holidays, it sounds fab :-)

Wretchdz June 16, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Wow!

I think I have found another favourite blog.

I’m going to make that parfait! I’m sick of not knowing what to eat for breakfast (Soy milk/Fibre Plus Cereal)….BORING!

YUMMMM

Melanie June 22, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Good news… thanks! :-)

Kelly June 18, 2010 at 11:07 am

Just wondering, for the yogurt parfait, would frozen berries left out overnight to defrost suffice? I see a lot of great sounding breakfast ideas using berries, but they are so expensive fresh and some would go to waste if I for whatever reason didn’t get to eat them all over a few days.

Thanks for a great blog, glad I found it :)

Melanie June 22, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Hi Kelly,
Yes, frozen berries work a treat. In fact, that’s what I use all of the time. I find fresh berries are so expensive too, and they tend to go off too quickly. But, having them frozen in the freezer is great, because I always know they are there when needed.

I actually eat mine frozen at times too, very delicious! Frozen grapes are great also.

Samantha January 17, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I made the banana bran muffins today cause my husband and I couldnt decide what to have and they were delicious. I did alter the recipe a little instead of using buttermilk I used plain greek yogurt and a little bit of regular milk! I like using yogurt instead of milk cause it keeps things a little more moist. It turned out great! Thank you so much!

Melanie January 19, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Hi Samantha, Thanks so much for your comment. I’m really glad you liked them :-)

joy April 21, 2012 at 5:02 am

Hi Melanie
Made the Banana Bran Muffins the other day, is the recipe right 1 tbsp (tablespoon) of baking powder, I think it must be as you have 1 tsp(teaspoon) of cinnamon. It has a slight bitter taste. Perhaps I use a bit less.

Melanie April 28, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Hi Joy,
Yes, it is 1 tbsp of b powder according to the original recipe. You know, I cannot remember making these, and I’m wondering if I didn’t get around to it after posting this article, so I can’t say if they turned out okay for me. Perhaps they needed a little more sugar, too? 1/3 cup isn’t much.