Breakfast Ideas for When You’ve Got No Time

1 tbsp ground flax seed
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 banana, mashed
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray, or line with cupcake papers.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine bran cereal, milk and raisins. Let stand for about 2 minutes to soften the cereal.
  3. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ground flax seed in a small bowl. Set aside.
  4. Into the softened bran mix stir the egg and oil. Beat well. Stir in the banana and walnuts. Add the flour mixture, stirring only until combined. Divide the batter evenly into 12 muffin cups.
  5. Bake about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Have you any quick breakfast ideas?

Pages: 1 2

Blog Yourself Thin June 10, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Thanks for sharing the recipes! I have a tendency to skip breakfast so I definitely need to work on that. The Banana Bran Muffins sound great :)

Feel free to check out my blog: http://www.blogyourselfthin.com/
.-= Blog Yourself Thin´s last blog ..Healthy Steps to Weight Loss =-.

Melanie June 12, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Yes, they do. I didn’t get a chance yet to try them, but they’re on my list!

Cathy in NZ June 13, 2010 at 2:44 am

I’m a toasted sandwich brekky person…I guess I could slice up some of the things I use but I have everything in the fridge so it’s just a case of layering the preferred item on bread and popping in the sandwich maker…

My usual fillings are ‘spread on both slices’; raw onion finely sliced, 2 slices of cheese, thinly sliced tomatoe to cover, some cooked ‘side back bacon’

OK it’s probably not all that healthy but it can keep me going for a long period in the morning. Occasionally I will have kind of omelette with it – if there time.

I cook all the bacon in advance so it’s in the fridge – removing excess fat as I place it on the bread. If I’ve not bacon I have some things like a meat patty. But I find the bacon just adds something moreish to the mix.

with an additonal hot chocolate made from 1/2 water/milk I’m really well stoked

I used to have oat porridge, but I’ve gone off that temporarily :-)
.-= Cathy in NZ´s last blog ..Classes finished but still 1000s of words to GO! =-.

Melanie June 15, 2010 at 11:10 pm

I’m in favour of porridge for breakfast these days. I have it with cinnamon and grated apple, which is really nice.

Andrew Wilder June 16, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I made Blueberry Protein Pancakes this morning — though they took about 10 minutes (probably about the same time as that egg white omelette), they’re delicious, filling, and healthy.

Throw a cup of raw oatmeal, 3/4 cup egg whites, 1 cup fat-free Greek Yogurt or Cottage Cheese, and 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon in a blender. Puree until smooth, and then cook just like regular pancakes!

I’ve posted the full recipe on my blog:

:-)

- Andrew

Melanie June 22, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Hi Andrew,
I’m going to try your idea when I get back from holidays, it sounds fab :-)

Wretchdz June 16, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Wow!

I think I have found another favourite blog.

I’m going to make that parfait! I’m sick of not knowing what to eat for breakfast (Soy milk/Fibre Plus Cereal)….BORING!

YUMMMM

Melanie June 22, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Good news… thanks! :-)

Kelly June 18, 2010 at 11:07 am

Just wondering, for the yogurt parfait, would frozen berries left out overnight to defrost suffice? I see a lot of great sounding breakfast ideas using berries, but they are so expensive fresh and some would go to waste if I for whatever reason didn’t get to eat them all over a few days.

Thanks for a great blog, glad I found it :)

Melanie June 22, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Hi Kelly,
Yes, frozen berries work a treat. In fact, that’s what I use all of the time. I find fresh berries are so expensive too, and they tend to go off too quickly. But, having them frozen in the freezer is great, because I always know they are there when needed.

I actually eat mine frozen at times too, very delicious! Frozen grapes are great also.

Samantha January 17, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I made the banana bran muffins today cause my husband and I couldnt decide what to have and they were delicious. I did alter the recipe a little instead of using buttermilk I used plain greek yogurt and a little bit of regular milk! I like using yogurt instead of milk cause it keeps things a little more moist. It turned out great! Thank you so much!

Melanie January 19, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Hi Samantha, Thanks so much for your comment. I’m really glad you liked them :-)

joy April 21, 2012 at 5:02 am

Hi Melanie
Made the Banana Bran Muffins the other day, is the recipe right 1 tbsp (tablespoon) of baking powder, I think it must be as you have 1 tsp(teaspoon) of cinnamon. It has a slight bitter taste. Perhaps I use a bit less.

Melanie April 28, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Hi Joy,
Yes, it is 1 tbsp of b powder according to the original recipe. You know, I cannot remember making these, and I’m wondering if I didn’t get around to it after posting this article, so I can’t say if they turned out okay for me. Perhaps they needed a little more sugar, too? 1/3 cup isn’t much.