What Is Quinoa?

With so much talk about avoiding carbohydrates these days, it would be easy to overlook quinoa. But thankfully you’re not overlooking it, because you’re asking “What is quinoa” and that’s a good question to ask.

First of all, if you’re wondering about pronunciation it’s pronounced “KEEN-wah“.

Next, if you’re looking for a highly nutritious carbohydrate, that’s not only going to help you stay lean, but will also maximize your energy levels, then you’re looking in the right place… quinoa really does have it all! :-)

What is quinoa and what does it taste like?

The taste and texture of quinoa is a bit like brown rice crossed with oatmeal. It’s fluffy, creamy, crunchy and somewhat nutty, all rolled into one.

The great thing is, it can be prepared in so many different ways, making it extremely versatile.

Quinoa is commonly thought of as a grain, probably because of how we use it.

But it’s actually a relative of leafy green vegetables, like spinach and Swiss chard.

What is quinoa and is it good for you?

A cup of quinoa will give you around 127 calories, 2 grams of fat, 23.4 grams of carbohydrates (2 of those being fibre), and 4.5 grams of protein.

In fact, it has a pretty similar nutritional profile to that of brown rice, except it’s slightly higher in overall protein content.

So, qunioa is a really great option if you’re trying to maintain an active lifestyle.

what is quinoa

What is Quinoa?

4 Health Benefits Of Quinoa

1. Complete source of protein

Unlike most grains, which contain an incomplete source of protein (you need to pair them with another food to make the meal complete), quinoa provides the full spectrum of nine essential amino acids.

So, it’s a really great choice, particularly if you’re a vegetarian or vegan.

2. Great for cardiovascular health

Quinoa is especially high in is magnesium, which is important for maintaining good cardiovascular health.

Magnesium helps to relax the blood vessels, reducing the rates of hypertension, heart disease, or heart arrhythmias.

3. Provides antioxidant support

Regular intake of antioxidants is so important for warding off the damaging effects of free radicals, which we encounter on a daily basis.

Quinoa does a wonderful job of boosting your antioxidant levels — being high in both manganese and copper, which help to promote a healthy immune system, and ensure that red blood cells remain in top condition.

4. Reduces the risk of gallstones

Since quinoa is high in fibre, it helps keep the digestive system running smoothly, and can also help reduce your chance of getting gallstones.

A study, published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology, found that those eating foods mostly rich in insoluble fibre, had a 17% lower risk of getting gallstones.

So, if you love your carbs, but would really like to find a healthier option to plain old white pasta or rice, quinoa is a great substitute for those higher-carb foods.

So, now that you know the benefits of quinoa — you’ve dashed down to the shops to buy some — what do you do with it? :-)

On the next page you’ll see 6 interesting ways people use quinoa, how to prepare it, as well as a video recipe…

Click to continue reading →

Pages: 1 2

Tory June 25, 2010 at 12:21 am

Love Quinoa! I often eat it as a pre-workout snack in the morning. I just wish it wasn’t so expensive.
.-= Tory´s last blog ..4 Tips To A Flatter Stomach =-.

Melanie June 28, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Yes, it’s so expensive here in the UK too. At least you only need a little each time, however I also wish it was less expensive.

Addie March 6, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I was surprised to find a good selection of Bob’s Red Mill products including gluten free, whole grains, quinoa, oatmeal, coconuts etc. at BIG LOTS.

Blake June 28, 2010 at 9:11 pm

I still have never tried quinoa. I really should!
.-= Blake´s last blog ..Healthy Monday – Forget Technology =-.

Melanie July 7, 2010 at 3:09 am

Yes, you should!! :-) When I get back from holidays I’m going to experiment with a few different recipes. Perhaps I’ll post them here if they’re any good.

Andrew June 29, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I love Quinoa, too! :)

It’s definitely important to rinse it before cooking — not only does it remove any extra residue (as you point out), but it also keeps it from being bitter once cooked.

Melanie July 7, 2010 at 3:11 am

Hi Andrew,
Yes, you’re right. The bitter taste would definitely put people off if they hadn’t tried quinoa before.

bethany September 22, 2010 at 5:51 pm

I love quinoa & is essential as I am gluten free. However I HATE trying to wash it, I always do but find I loose 25% down the drain! any tips on washing quinoa? what am I doing wrong??
thanks & I love the posts!

Melanie September 25, 2010 at 8:57 am

Hi Bethany,
Do you have a large sieve, that you would use to sieve flour for baking?

Nick March 26, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Rinse it through a wire screen

Mel April 29, 2012 at 3:29 pm

wash it thru a coffee filter

Cara July 15, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I haven’t tried this yet but I have been hearing all the rage about it! But one thing I have been searching for is something that is rich in antioxidants to keep me healthy and keep a healthy glow of my skin. So many antioxidant rich foods are unbearable to eat, but I will have to check this one out!

Jessica April 14, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I made it for my 8 year old and she and I loved it. We rinsed 1c Quinoa added to pan and put 2 cups reduced chicken broth for 15min simmer(In one pan). In another we sauted 1c each of chopped: orange peppers, red peppers, asparagus, zucchini. 3tbsp olive oil, 2tsp garlic, 1tsp lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. I cooked till tender. When both were done add 1/4 cup feta cheese and mix all togeather. Top with parsley. I put little chunks of cooked seasoned chicken for a complete meal. Was super good. With all that it is a good source of fiber and protien.

MS August 24, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Just had a very delicious salad with lots of quionoa:
spinach
red onion
carrots
curried chicken
finally chopped mango
orange citrus dressing
and of course, LOTS of yummy sprouted quinoa

Try it, it’s delicious and the crunchy texture of the quinoa is FUN!

Melanie August 26, 2010 at 6:22 pm

YUM… sounds delish, MS. Thanks for sharing.

Glenna Goodwin August 29, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Hi, just Quinoa for the first time and thought it was very good, my husband thought it was too dry. I cooked it and added sauteed red pepper, onion, celery & carrots, mixed that together with salt to taste, then threw in some sliced almonds and a dash of oregano. Excellent meatless meal. Think I’ll try serving it for breakfast with honey and milk, could also add fruit. My husband would probably like it better that way. But I think I could like it any way.

Melanie August 30, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Hi Glenna,
I’m so glad, sounds really delicious! I love how versatile quinoa is.. good work! I hope you can get your hubby converted over, too!!! :-)

shalisha August 27, 2010 at 7:58 am

Hi. I’m on a low carb food plan (I binge on white rice, bread, bagels, etc.) but I love rice, so I’m going to try Quinoa. What are your thoughts?

Shalisha
CEO
Dog Training Breeds

Melanie August 30, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Hi shalisha,
That’s definitely a good idea. Quinoa is a slow-releasing carbohydrate, so an excellent choice to help avoid bingeing. It also tastes very similar to rice, so it should be a good substitute for you. Have you tried it yet? I’d love to hear how you get on.

catherine September 14, 2010 at 11:44 am

I have been eating quinoa for lunch with Solid white Tuna and steamed broccoli seasoned with pepper to taste. Yummy and filling.

Melanie September 17, 2010 at 9:00 am

Catherine,
That sounds wonderful. I might give it a go myself!

Alan September 15, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I have tried quinoa and I really like it.

I use it as a side dish instead of rice and also when I make meatloaf I use it instead of breadcrumbs.

There are many really good recipes utilizing quinoa in many was.

It is a good and healthy alternative to rice, potatoes or any wheat based dish.

Melanie September 17, 2010 at 9:07 am

Hi Alan,
Thanks for your ideas. I hadn’t thought of using quinoa instead of breadcrumbs. Thanks for that!

Ian November 22, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I almost refused to try quinoa because I got a bit grumpy about it’s pretentious sounding pronounciation – what’s wrong with saying kwin-noah? I was the same with acai – I called it the Scottish berry, ‘cos I insisted that it be pronounced ack-eye.
But, I’m glad I did try it.
I cheat by using a rice cooker.
Favourite so far, is cook with an onion and a stock cube and add some coriander and lemon juice near the end of the cooking time.
I added some quinoa to chickpea and chorizo soup the other day and it realy was one of the best meals that I have ever tasted.
Washing it is a pain as, unlike rice, some of the stuff floats – you can get away with partial drainage and not lose too much down the sink, or just clutter up your draining board with a slow drying sieve.

Melanie – this is a great website – thankyou!

Melanie November 27, 2010 at 11:54 am

Hi Ian,
That’s a good idea to cool it in the rice cooker, I’m going to try that too. Thanks :-)

David April 19, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Yeahhh, that word … açai. See the little “hook” hanging down from the “c”? That’s a cedilla. You don’t pronounce the word “façade” as /fə-’KAYD/ do you? ;°)

Of course, the word “quinoa” is spelled that way because it is a Spanish spelling of an Inca word, so it uses Spanish phonetics. Had the British explored/settled the Andes first, I’m sure the spelling would be more to your liking; “keenwa[h]“, “kienwa[h]“, or something like that.

Vivian January 3, 2011 at 3:02 am

I am disappointed in my first taste of quinoa. It smells (uncooked) like a new country straw hat smells and tastes like that, as well and I was so diappointed. It said, on the box, that it was prewashed, so I didn’t rinse it. I will rinse it anyway, if I try it again. I was going to cook it in chicken broth, but forgot and used water instead. I was hoping it was going to taste nutty, not musty like it did.

Melanie January 6, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Vivian,
Yes, I have to admit, I do know what you mean. Personally, I feel it is something that needs to have “things” added to it. I would be interested in hearing from you if you do try it again with the chicken broth :-)

d gilmour July 16, 2011 at 7:11 am

I’ve started using quinoa instead of cereal. For a quick snack, I mix a little olive oil, with dashes of balsamic and rice vinegars. Add chopped lettuces, and tuna. May sound odd, but with or without the tuna, I find this delicious and satisfying.

Doug

Glenna Goodwin January 3, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I love quinoa, buy the boxed kind in the grocery, doesn’t need rinsing, use it often but just about a fourth cup at a time, put it in soups mainly.

Melanie January 6, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Glenna,
Putting it into soup is a good idea. Thanks for sharing.

Tina January 11, 2011 at 12:16 pm

hi,
if you buy quinoa that is already pre-washed, i believe it’s better to still soak it for a few minutes and then continue to rinse well in running water.
although it is impossible to totally remove the bitter taste in quinoa, i use other tasty ingredients with it like tomatoes and green leafy veggies so there’s a lot of flavors your taste buds can enjoy. : )
.-= Tina´s last blog ..Buy Quinoa =-.

Vivian January 11, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Hi Tina,

I’ll try this next time I prepare quinoa. I didn’t the first time and it tasted like straw hats smell, like dried grass. Not good. I’ll also cook it with chicken broth, not plain water. The tomatoes sound good.

What kind of leafy green vegetables would be good?

Thanks so much,

Vivian

Melanie January 14, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Hi Tina,
Thanks for your advice. Good suggestions, also.

Tina January 12, 2011 at 8:58 am

Hello Vivian,
Try the following recipe:
cook 1 1/2 c quinoa in 2 3/4 c stock and 1/4 c of lemon juice for about 15 mins. while that’s cooking, prepare dressing. blend 1/4 c lemon juice, a bit of lemon zest, 3/4 c basil leaves, 1/4 c parsley leaves and a bit of thyme leaves. slowly drizzle 1 c of olive oil while blending the dressing mixture. once emulsified, you can pour the dressing over cooked quinoa, mix well and voila! quinoa has never tasted better. i hope you’ll get to enjoy it too! happy healthy eating. : )
.-= Tina´s last blog ..Buy Quinoa =-.

Melanie January 14, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Tina,
Just saw your recipe. Thank you, I will also give this a go – did you mean 1 cup of olive oil? That seems a lot…

CL9 March 13, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I recently tried Quinoa for the first time. OMG, it’s freaking delicious. I normally cook it in Vegetable Broth so to give it a little more taste. Today I added cut up grape tomatoes, chopped cilantro, chopped black olives and feta and drizzled in some canola oil. Added powdered onion and garlic to taste. It was phenomenal!

Melanie March 16, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I love your idea… might give that a go myself :-)

Lynnb March 8, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Wow your recipe sounds really good. I am really trying to cut out most meats in my diet. I finally started using Quinoa and I am browsing the internet for good recipe ideas. I can’t wait to try yours!!

Christa March 21, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I had the same issue as Vivian, with the musty smell and taste. I served a very flavorful veggie soup made with chicken stock over the quinoa and could still taste the mustiness.

You said that rinsing and soaking will help a bitter taste – but I don’t think that’s what’s bothering me. I can only describe it as musty. Could it be that the grains I have have gone bad?

Yvonne April 12, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I tried it with water and garlic butter, it was great.

Melanie April 13, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I like that idea, Yvonne. I will give that a go, thanks.

Michelle April 20, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Since my mother was raised in Peru, my Mommy makes me quinoa all the time! And it is really cheap for us. My mom gets quinoa really cheap in latin markets since most food is really cheap there, though; try finding one locally! But since quinoa is an export, grocery stores they probably inflated the price on it. We get it for 425 grams (15 ounces) for $4.

My mom has a traditional recipe i want to share with you all. I, myself, enjoy it immensely!

1.) first, you cook the grain like you would rice in a pot of 2 cups of water on medium for lowering the temperature to low when it reaches a boil for 20 to 30 minutes.
2.) Then, you mince onions separately into extremely thin bits (or chop into big pieces if you like onions).
3.) Cook your onions in olive oil on medium and add 2 teaspoons of panca pepper paste* (if you like spice, though, add 2 tablespoons instead) in the pot (not frying pan) along with the onions. Mix all your ingredients so far really well.
4.)Pour in evaporate milk to your onion and panca pepper paste mixture.
5.)Pour in your quinoa into the milk mixture and mix until creamy. While it is still hot, add in shredded mozzarella cheese.
6.) after the cheese has mostly melted, serve it on a plate and voila.

*panca pepper paste is a Peruvian pepper that adds a sweet but slightly spicy zest of flavor. It is really great enhancement to dishes because of it’s sharp intensity. (and it’s great if you can’t handle spicey food which I can’t!)

I have been eating quinoa ever since I was a little girl as was my mom and I never thought it had such great nutritional value! Thanks for the information and hope you enjoy the recipe. :)

xoxo Michelle

Melanie April 22, 2011 at 8:35 am

Hi Michelle,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recipe. I would like to give this a go. I imagine this would be good with lots of different vegetables added to it as well, like mushrooms, and courgettes. Thanks again for sharing.

Maggie May 5, 2011 at 2:00 am

I just made a quinoa tabouli salad for a potluck and got rave reviews! I cooked the quinoa and let it cool, then added diced cucumber, tomatoes, green onions, and a little olive oil and salt and pepper. It was delicious! Topped some of it with a little zatar, which was also great. My vegan friends loved it too!

Jackie-O May 18, 2011 at 6:53 am

I just bought some quinoa today! Thinking about having it with some spinach and salsa and corn in a whole wheat wrap tomorrow for lunch : ).Or…maybe having it for breakfast. I am contemplating that delicious spinach smoothie with protein powder though. hmmmm :)

Arlene June 5, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I just bought some Quinoa today and made a salad. I did rinse it and left it cool slightly. Added cherry tomatoes, chopped celery, shallots, cucumber diced, sun-dried tomatoes, sliced almonds, Fat free feta, and some mandarin oranges. Also cut up some fresh basil, parsley, and mint. I mixed up a dressing with Lemon white balsamic, fresh lemon juice with some grated lemon rind, some plain olive oil with a dash of blood orange olive oil. Added about 1 tsp of Penzey’s French Vinegatte spice.

Really enjoyed it. Planning to take it to work for lunch. I have quite a bit of the plain quinoa left over, so I am sure I will find something to do with that. Enjoy Everyone.

Melanie July 1, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Hi Arlene,
That sounds wonderful, you have inspired me to get some Quinoa again, it’s been a while since I had some.

LaGal June 27, 2011 at 1:49 am

Actually I was searching what Quinoa is because I just bought Trader Joe’s Organic Whole Grain Drink, it has Quinoa as one of the ingredient. Seems like Quinoa is really beneficial. :)

Christian Leonard July 2, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I just finished having my first helping of Quinoa (in the form of Yucatan Style Quinoa Salad) from a place in Asheville, NC called GreenLife. I loved it.

Thanks for the article. It always seems to make food taste better when you know how good it is for you. 8)

Melanie July 27, 2011 at 8:47 am

lol Christian. I wish everyone thought like you. Some are of the opinion it tastes worse if it is “healthy.”

Pam July 11, 2011 at 9:39 pm

We’ve been eating quinoa in my home for years for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Last week I added chopped onion, garlic, red pepper, scallions, sliced mushrooms, & chopped yellow squash to boiling low-fat chicken broth – then added quinoa. Covered and cooked about 15 minutes, then added chopped cilantro, lime juice, shrimp and scallops – covered and cooked for 8-10 minutes longer…..delicious!!! I love using fresh ginger & Asian chili sauce with it, too!

Melanie July 27, 2011 at 9:00 am

Wow, these recipes for quinoa are wonderful guys, I need to start trying these out :-)

REE July 18, 2011 at 4:11 am

cooked Quinoa is super good with strawberries, oranges, bananas , mango and walnuts

Bulldawg September 4, 2012 at 9:29 pm

There you go. I had it this morning, like oatmeal with Splenda brown sugar and cinnamon it was really good!

Melanie September 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm

With splenda and brown sugar?

judie fletcher April 13, 2014 at 8:25 am

hi i have seen a few comments here about making porrige with quinoa, this one in particcular

1 cup quinoa
1 full banana sliced up
1 handful of almonds or some other nut
1/2 cup almond milk
sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg

but the person who wrote it dosn’t say how to make it, any help would be apriciated please ?, thank you

Shawn July 18, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Just tried Quinoa for the first time this past weekend. Fabulous it was. If I can find a place to buy it at a more reasonalbe price then I can see it becoming a part of my regular diet. I used a recipe I got from work. Sauteed some yellow onion and fresh garlic in a small amount of Canola oil. Added water and Quinoa, cooked til done. Chill. Add chopped tomatoes, carrots, yellow pepper, cucumber, red onion (I omit as I don’t care for raw onion) frozen corn (thawed), fresh mint, fresh cilantro, black pepper. Dress with a small amount of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and voila, it was awesome!! Question for you Melanie. Does Quinoa have enough protein in it to replace the protein you would normally eat for dinner, per serving?

Netnie July 19, 2011 at 1:08 am

Just had my first try with Quinoa. I’m from Louisiana, so I did a play on shrimp and grits. I cooked a cup of Quinoa in chicken broth with a dash of hot sauce, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper and chipotle pepper. I then sauteed onion, green bell pepper, mushrooms, and garlic in a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Once the vegetables were softened, I added them to the Quinoa with a little bit of milk, salmon (from the Chicken of the Sea pouch) and just a dash of low fat cheese (I couldn’t resist) . It turned out delicious! What a great alternative to a normally high fat, high carb meal!

Melanie July 27, 2011 at 9:56 am

Thanks for sharing your recipes everyone.

Lizzy Stewart July 27, 2011 at 11:39 am

Hi Melanie.

I am 10 days into the ‘Dukan Diet’ and recommended to take Oat bran. I have just heard of Quinoa and have read all your recent comments, can I take it as part of the diet or possible instead of oatbran.

Melanie August 4, 2011 at 9:46 am

Hi Lizzy,
I can’t say for sure as I’m not an expert on the Dukan Diet. If you compare them quinoa has more calories, but also more protein than oat bran, so it should be very satisfying. I can’t see any problem with adding it to your diet regularly. Is there a Dukan Diet forum where you could ask for help on this?

Tracy August 8, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I love quinoa. I cook it with taco seasoning add tomato, onion, black beans, cilantro and avacado. A very healthy taco salad.

Melanie August 8, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Lovely, thanks Tracy.

Tanya August 17, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Cooked quinoa for the first time last night; with onions, garlic and dried rosemary while simmering…delish!!!

Melanie August 18, 2011 at 9:01 am

Great Tanya, I have all of those ingredients in my kitchen at present, might give that a go :-)

Phyllis August 24, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I have been eating quinoa for breakfast with cut up fruits like bluberries, banana, strawberries,and peaches since I heard about it.
next, I will be eating it with sauteed veggies.
Recently I found a quinoa bread, and quinoa flour to use in baking ,and red quinoa .
I cook a whole cup of white and red quinoa mixed together
with 2 cups of water following directions on the box.
This gives me enough quinoa for many days or a week, depending how much you use

love sharing all your ideas.

Melanie August 25, 2011 at 11:57 am

Great idea to be prepared for a few days ahead, Phyllis. I haven’t tried red quinoa? What’s the difference in taste?

Phyllis August 24, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Where can I find quinoa sprouts?

Nicola September 21, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I don’t want to blow my own trumpet but I have a great recipe for quinoa fish cakes. I make them with Mackril and they really are very good! have a look at:

Melanie October 11, 2011 at 10:45 am

lol Nicola. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Katy September 27, 2011 at 12:30 am

I made a butternut squash and quinoa “pie” tonight for dinner! Delish!! It could have been healthier by not adding parmesan cheese but I could not resist. The basics of the recipe are as follows: Roast approx 1 1/2 lbs butternut squash. Once finished cut into cubes. While roasting saute 1 large onion, 2-4 cloves garlic, fresh sage and fresh thyme 3-5 minutes add 1 cup quinoa 2 cups water and a veggie broth cube. Cook 15-20 minutes until broth is evaporated. Mix quinoa mixture with 1/2c parm. cheese and cubed butternut squash mix thoroughly leaving squash somewhat chunky. In glass pie pan or 8 x 8, grease pan slightly and lay fresh sage down, fill pan with quinoa and squash mixture, bake for 20 minutes let cool for 5. Flip the pan over onto a plate and slice.. Yum Yum Yum! Would be great even without the cheese.

Melanie October 11, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Sounds amazing, Katy. I will definitely try this out. Thank you.

Ghadeer Musharbash October 9, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I tried it today for the first time. It is easy to cook. It does have a pleasant taste. It tastes like cuscus. bulgor, or cracked wheat. I think i can use it as a substitute for rice and can eat with a lot of Arabic Middle Eastern foods.

Melanie October 11, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Yes, absolutely. It is a very good alternative.

Caz October 15, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Hi, I just bought quinoa for the first time as trying to loose weight. I have seen two different types, one that looks like balls, then there is one that looks like ‘oats’. I got the balls one. I cant wait to try some of your recipes here. Very excited…I must admit Im not a huge fan of brown rice. So will be interesting, hope hubby and I like it.

Melanie October 20, 2011 at 8:12 am

Hope you enjoy Caz :-)

Ray October 16, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I have been happily hoarding and eating quinoa, thinking it was the perfect food, the manna from heaven, when to my dismay I found out it has high oxalates content. See for instance:
Now I am at a loss. Is the high fibre content sufficient to offset the effects of its oxalates payload? Perhaps the best policy would be to cycle it on and off, but I would like to listen to the insight of others who have long experience with quinoa.

Melanie October 20, 2011 at 8:24 am

Hi Ray,
You will see from that article you linked to on WH Foods, that lots of healthy foods contain oxalates, notably some fruits and vegetables. However, unless you have a condition such as absorptive hypercalciuria type II, enteric hyperoxaluria, and primary hyperoxaluria, for the vast majority of people oxalate-containing foods are not a health concern. You only need to be concerned about this if your doctor has put you on an oxalate-restricted diet.

Brenda October 28, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I just received some Organic Quinoa I ordered from NUTSonline, and realized, dah, what is this stuff? It sounded healthy when I saw it on the site. So I
Googled, what is it, and this site was made available. Wow, thanks
for all the great info from everyone, of course you all were talking about it before I arrived. Now I’m going to try it! Love being Healthy!

Melanie November 4, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Best wishes, Brenda. Hope you enjoy it :-)

Gale November 6, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Once you make quinoa how is the best way to store and for how long. thankyou

Melanie November 15, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Hi Gale,
I recommend refrigerating leftover quinoa, or any other grains, in a tightly sealed storage container soon after cooking, and only storing for up to 2 days in this way. If you want to store for longer, freezing is best.

Paul D November 7, 2011 at 9:35 am

Try this, brew ordinary tea and make it REAL strong way stronger than if you’d be drinking it to enjoy it.

Then mix together 2 cups of Quinoa (1 cup of White & 1 cup of Red Quinoa). BTW, Red Quinoa is so much tastier but real nice when mixed together for extra texture and color.

Cook the Quinoa in 4 cups of the strong tea broth which in turn will really enhance the anti-oxidant properties but here’s the catch, it does not taste bitter at all!

You then prepare anything you want with this GREAT SUPERFOOD…..Enjoy :D

Melanie November 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Wow… that’s a great idea, Paul. Does it taste of tea at all?

Paul D November 15, 2011 at 10:14 pm

….Melanie, Quinoa made in a strong tea “broth” does not at all have the taste of tea.

Now try this incredible dinner meal….

For super health, buy a jar of “CERTIFIED ORGANIC VIRGIN COCONUT OIL”. (Pure cold pressed organic coconut oil can ONLY be bought in a Health Food store like Whole Foods or such).

Prepare this entree using a wok or skillet by heating a tablespoon of this Certified Organic Virgin Coconut Oil:

- Sautee two cloves of crushed garlic with fresh prawns adding a tiny splash of Sarachi for some heat(optional).

1. Crush a “raw” garlic clove….yes RAW….for super antioxidant properties!

2. Toss this raw garlic in a serving of hot Quinoa with a tablespoon of the same Certified Organic Virgin Coconut Oil and finish to taste with soy sauce…incredible flavors!

3. Steam broccoli and finish off with freshly squeezed lemon juice (no butter!)

Serve a bed of flavored Coconut Garlic Quinoa topped with saucy Prawns surrounded with Steamed Lemon Broccoli.

Unbelievably HEALTHY with out of this world flavor…ENJOY!

Paul :)

Melanie December 2, 2011 at 9:45 am

Thanks so much Paul, I am definitely trying this idea :-)

rebecca December 6, 2011 at 4:22 pm

iv reallly gotten into quina over the last few yrs ,, as a piscatarian its a great source of added complete protein in my meals ,, I like to hav it either tabulli style w avacadoe , tomatoe , purple onion splash of olive oil , lemon jiuce and sum cilantro or parsley : ) delicious ,, also i like to hav it hot w a lil olive oil and braggs soy sauce : )

Melanie December 21, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Yum!

Kevin V January 7, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I’m just really not a fan of oatmeal, so several mornings a week I alternate breakfast with a mix of quinoa:

1 cup quinoa
1 full banana sliced up
1 handful of almonds or some other nut
1/2 cup almond milk
sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg

I sometimes change up the fruit and nuts that go into it. Its so yummy, healthy, energizing, and keeps me full till lunch!!

Melanie January 10, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Thanks for sharing your recipe, Kevin.

Nevine February 28, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I am from the middle east and would like to know what quinoa is in Arabic!! Can anyone help?. Thx

Ghadeer Musharbash February 28, 2012 at 2:26 pm

there is no name that i know of Quinoa. it tastes like Maftool (cuscus). it tasted good to me.

Valerie March 23, 2012 at 12:39 am

One of the great things about quinoa is that is it so versatile.

When I have a craving for meixcan food, I lay a bed of quinoa, add beans on top, saute jalapenos & onions layered on top of beans and if I am in the mood, a cut up grilled chicken breast and to top it all off a little grated cheddar cheese. You won’t even miss the taco or tortilla.

It’s healty, filling and delicious! No need to feel guilty.

Melanie March 28, 2012 at 1:35 pm

That sounds wonderful Valerie.

S, Vilayet Husain July 29, 2012 at 8:22 pm

When I was shopping in Bulk Barn, I noticed Quinoa Flour, Gulton free
so I bought some to add to barley flour after mixing, my wife made a bread
I like it and will continue eating instead of wheat flour. at that time I had
no idea what is Quinoa.
after reading the info about it, I am thankfull to the person who wrote and
explain, what is Quinoa.

superfoods August 15, 2012 at 3:42 am

Love Quinoa.
I recently published a Superfoods book at Kindle. My second book is on Quinoa. I personally have replaced rice, potatoes and half of my meat consumption with quinoa. Amazing weight loss and health benefits.

Dee December 31, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Hi , can I eat Quinoa if I have gluten and wheat intolerance? My friend bought me some and it doesn’t say on the packet that it is free from either of these.

Melanie February 7, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Hi Dee, In it’s whole, raw form, quinoa is gluten-free. However, there is certainly a chance that some quinoa products will have been cross contaminated with gluten during processing.

If you do not have a severe sensitivity to gluten, you may find quinoa does not cause a reaction. However, if you are very sensitive to gluten, quinoa has what’s referred to as ‘seed storage proteins,’ and these are distantly related to the gluten proteins present in wheat.

Recent research, which looked at 15 different varieties of quinoa, concluded that 2 out of the 15 quinoa cultivars (“Ayacuchana” and “Pansakalla”) stimulated an immune response, which was as potent as that observed for wheat gluten. This suggests that if you have a gluten sensitivity, quinoa may not necessarily be safe to eat.

rene February 11, 2013 at 5:16 am

My first go at cooking with quinoa was so tasty: salad made of red oak lettuce, grated uncooked beetroot, grated carrot, diced tomatoes, small amount of avocado, roast pumpkin & caulieflower, then topped with quinoa cooked as per absorbtion method and then a couple of tblspns of curry paste mixed through the quinoa and placed on top of salad with crumbled fetta … yummo!!

Gwen April 21, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I tried Quinoa for the first time today, I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I used to love cream of wheat porridge for my breakfast and will miss it, but things have to change.
Today I made sort of a porridge with quinoa and blueberries and some maple syrup.. it is different, but do-able. I never thought I would ever eat such a thing, but it’s not too bad.
I rinsed mine using a very fine sieve and it worked very well, cooking is slow but I cooked up enough that I can have a couple or three days breakfast in the fridge and just re-heat a bit before I eat… and I’ll learn as I go and I’m looking forward to a healthier new me!

judie fletcher April 13, 2014 at 8:09 am

1 cup quinoa
1 full banana sliced up
1 handful of almonds or some other nut
1/2 cup almond milk
sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg

Quinoa lover July 6, 2014 at 2:51 am

Quinoa is the best source of slow burning carbohydrates. Only a cup of cooked quinoa is enough to provide 8 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber and 220 calories. Therefore, it is the best food that can be taken to shed some pounds and become fit. You can take quinoa seeds in raw, cooked or sprouted form. So just get up and get ready to experiencethe benefits of this amazing food quinoa . If you do not have this in your pantry yet, just go and get it right now

judie fletcher July 6, 2014 at 4:03 pm

1 cup quinoa
1 full banana sliced up
1 handful of almonds or some other nut
1/2 cup almond milk
sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg

but no mention of how exactly to make it, i have asked this question before with no reply, can anyone help please

Robin July 8, 2011 at 11:14 pm

One of my favorite quinoa recipes: Cooked quinoa (recipe calls for 1 cup cooked) Mix in a bowl-3 lg. celery, 1 pint cherry tomatoes, 3-4 radishes-thinly sliced, 1/2 cup red onion sliced thin, 1/4 cup fresh dill, 1 cup crumpled feta cheese. In a small bowl whisk 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, and 1/4 cup olive oil. Pour over salad; Fold in cheese mixture; salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with dill

Melanie July 27, 2011 at 8:57 am

Robin, that sounds amazing. Thanks so much for sharing.