Do Ab Belts Really Work For Fat Loss?

If you watch TV, you may have stumbled upon an infomercial for an electric ab burning belt of some sort.

You know the kind I mean: you strap them to your midsection, turn them on, and they begin vibrating against your stomach.

These vibrations are supposed to stimulate your muscles and give you an effortless workout. You can even wear these belts under your shirt when you work — isn’t that nice?

These devices are supposedly based on proven scientific methods for muscle stimulation that have been used for decades, a method called Electric Muscle Stimulation (EMS for short).

This is done to increase the perceived credibility of these belts in the eyes of the potential consumer… YOU.

Well, do these ab burning belts really work? Or, are they far from what the ads make them out to be?

Let’s look at history and then at some science, shall we?

Ab Belt History

In 2002, the FDA actually pressed charges against several manufacturers of electric stimulation devices for making unfounded claims. Some of these claims included:

• That the ab belts these manufacturers sold actually brought about abdominal fat loss.
  • That the workout experience these belts provide is better than regular ab exercises.

Both of these claims are simply false.

Ab Belt Science

As far as inducing abdominal fat loss, there is simply no way for this to be true.

It is a well known fact there is no such thing as spot fat reduction — you don’t lose fat from a body part you specifically train, you burn fat from all over your body.

Just because these electric belts are strapped to your abs does not mean you will be burning any belly fat.

By the way, if you listen carefully to what these ads say, they only talk about helping you tone and strengthen your abs. They don’t say a word about losing belly fat (they might get in trouble if they did).

They let the pictures of fit models plant the idea in your head without saying anything.

As far as giving you a workout experience that is better than ordinary stomach exercises, this is something that is very hard to prove.

For one thing, not all stomach exercises are created equal, some are harder than others. In addition, your workout technique also plays a key role in determining how effective your exercises are.

I wanted to see whether Electric Muscle Stimulation is really used in practice, so I consulted a physiotherapist I know, and asked her about it.

It turns out that EMS is actually used to treat injuries or severe muscular weakness. In these cases, the electric pulses can indeed be effective for rehabilitation purposes.

However, she laughed at the idea that EMS can be used for healthy people.

Apparently you would have to increase the strength of the electric pulse to a level which is likely to be too painful to bear.

Talk about a shock. The pulse that you get from these ab belts gives you an illusion of working out, but it is far from effective. It doesn’t really challenge the muscles.

How to Lose Belly Fat

If you’re looking to lose belly fat it’s time to stop falling for gimmicks.

Spend your money on a stability ball, and your time on doing full body workouts. Make sure to watch your diet as well.

This is the way to really get results.

About John Davenport
John Davenport is the administrator of WorldofDiets.com, a site dedicated to provided extensive Diet Plans Reviews and health and fitness articles.

Steve Parker, M.D. October 8, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Is a stability ball the same as a Swiss ball or physioball?
.-= Steve Parker, M.D.´s last blog ..Heart and Stroke Patients- Avoid Weight-Loss Drug Sibutramine Meridia =-.

Melanie October 9, 2010 at 8:23 pm

As far as I know, Steve, they are all the same thing. Perhaps someone else can correct me on that, if I’m wrong??

Cathy in NZ October 8, 2010 at 7:28 pm

those sort of ‘exercise’ and ‘health’ enhancing adverts play daily here…some are electric but most are some sort of ‘toy’ that you do something ‘effortlessly on’ and ALL ‘fold to roll under a bed’ :-)

all the people are lean, mean and muscles – both men/women always tanned!

usually you can order the ‘toy’ by an 0800# that often will include ‘an extra’ that will do xyz to your body…

I don’t think they work, but then I’ve never bothered to try :-)
.-= Cathy in NZ´s last blog ..Trekking through earlier lives =-.

Melanie October 9, 2010 at 8:27 pm

haha Cathy… you are VERY wise not to have fallen for such adverts. I imagine many people have fallen into the trap, though. A healthy dose of scepticism goes a long way with these products, I think!!

John October 9, 2010 at 9:04 am

Hi Cathy,
Good for you.
It seems that a lot of people are much more gullible, and these marketers know it.

Most of these ads follow a set formula which is just what sells.
.-= John´s last blog ..1000 Calorie Challenge Questions and Answers =-.

John October 13, 2010 at 7:08 am

For most people, I believe, these machines end up being just another piece of furniture, good for hanging clothes on, not as a way to get toned.
.-= John´s last blog ..Morning Workout Before or After Breakfast =-.

Melanie October 14, 2010 at 7:20 pm

You forgot to say, an incredibly ugly piece of furniture, John, lol

Cathy in NZ October 10, 2010 at 2:09 am

John and Melanie

Just today, I got to see one of those machines up close…my friend picked me up to go to something in the back of her Rav was this ‘definitely folded up tool’ – apparently she was going to give it back to her friend…because she didn’t have time for it!

her friend said “no keep it I have no room for it” when I chipped in with “but on the TV it says it folds up and pushes under the bed?” she replied “yes I know but under my bed, there is not room”

never did find out if it had worked for either of them…the one who owns it is pretty darn thin, doesn’t look muscle bound. the one who should be using it well overweight! :-)

Melanie October 11, 2010 at 6:14 pm

lol Cathy. Point proven I think!! Useless equipment :D

Steve Parker, M.D. October 10, 2010 at 2:09 am

I appreciate your advice on doing “full body work outs.” I’ve been slacking off on exercise lately, but have been seriously thinking about starting the “Core Performance” program at home. Lots of compound exercises. It was put together by an athletic trainer who has worked with lots of professional athletes. He has a gym about 15 miles from my house, but I just don’t have time for the commute back and forth.

Melanie October 11, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Hi Steve,
That sounds perfect, my kind of exercise program too. I like to workout at home or somewhere convenient to my home. Best wishes with that!

Paramjit October 11, 2010 at 3:22 am

Its about time that someone clarified the myth of the “Abs Belt”. The article very nicely busts this myth. the sad thing is that a lot of people still fall for this. I like the way the advertisers smartly promote only tonning the abs and not actually burning belly fat. The consumer on the other hand is thinking that the belt burns fat. As long as there are those who want a quick fix weight loss solutions, these products will continue to sell.
.-= Paramjit´s last blog ..How You Could Lose Weight by Eating Salads Before Meals =-.

Melanie October 11, 2010 at 6:36 pm

It’s amazing how our brains fill in the blanks left by advertising, isn’t it? We think they’ve promised xyz, but really WE have been fooled.

John October 13, 2010 at 7:10 am

This isn’t done by mistake. It keeps them within the law and they use a proven system, or formula, to make us jump to the conclusion they want us to.

crystal August 21, 2012 at 3:48 pm

While you all are correct in the fact that it doesn’t burn fat, the ab belts do help tone. You’re muscles do flex and this helps to define. It is not a quick fix. Like any workout you have to do it for a while before you see results. A lean person could use the belt to help define their abs and would like their belt a fat person wouldn’t gain any benefit from the belt because abs hide under the fat. I hope this makes sense. So in short the ab belts are not for everyone and they work for specific things.

Melanie September 19, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Thanks for your comments Crystal.

Pura Cleanse Review February 2, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Howdy! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form?
I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having problems finding one?

Thanks a lot!

Nuvocleanse February 3, 2013 at 6:29 am

If some one wants to be updated with hottest technologies then he must be
pay a visit this web site and be up to date daily.

Lara February 4, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Why users still use to read news papers when in this technological
globe all is existing on net?

Rick February 5, 2013 at 3:30 am

Wasn’t planning on using this, but it seems like it would help with weight loss. Muscle burns fat, and if muscles are being toned, wouldn’t that burn fat. I know the possible weight loss would be minimal, to the point where it goes unnoticed. Please correct me if I’m wrong, just curious.

diet plans for women February 23, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Fantastic goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff prior to and you are simply too excellent. I actually like what you have acquired right here, certainly like what you’re saying and the best way wherein you assert it.
You are making it enjoyable and you continue to care for to stay it smart.
I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is really a wonderful site.

web site September 14, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Hi there Dear, are you truly visiting this web page on a regular basis, if so then you will absolutely take pleasant experience.

Vital Cleanse review December 26, 2013 at 4:13 pm

What’s up, everything is going fine here and ofcourse every one is sharing information, that’s actually excellent, keep up
writing.

Shalanda January 11, 2014 at 3:47 am

hey there and thank you for your info – I have certainly picked up anything new from right here.
I did however expertise several technical points using this web site,
as I experienced to reload the website many times previous to I could get it to load properly.
I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and could damage your quality score
if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I am adding this RSS to my email and could
look out for much more of your respective interesting content.
Ensure that you update this again very soon.

http://www.facebook.com/HowToLoseBellyFatt January 25, 2014 at 8:54 am

Most of us at some point in our lives have tried to lose weight.
So the idea of honey helping with weight loss may seem like a contradiction.
If you find yourself getting hungry often, then plan your intake around
five or six small meals or large snacks rather than two or three bigger meals.

How Do I Lose Belly Fat February 11, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I think that what you composed made a great deal of sense.
But, what about this? what if you added a little information?
I ain’t saying your content isn’t good, but what if you added a title to possibly grab a person’s attention?
I mean Do Ab Belts Work? is kinda plain. You ought to look at
Yahoo’s front page and see how they write post titles to grab people to click.
You might add a video or a pic or two to grab people interested about what you’ve got to say.
Just my opinion, it would make your website a little livelier.

Tamera March 18, 2014 at 7:10 am

Every living creature has basic needs food and shelter.

The article above should have given you the
things you need to know if you want to start doing improvements
in your home. Vitally pertinent factors such as weight bearing ceilings and beams
are carefully dictated.

pay per click advertising April 5, 2014 at 12:05 am

I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I am not sure
whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about
my problem. You are incredible! Thanks!

pets April 8, 2014 at 7:39 am

In selecting a vet, you should always consider a professional having the experience, knowledge, and passion for animals.
Third, implement a probiotic to restore bacteria balance in the digestive tract.

They provide a guarantee of around one year for any pets they sell upon
purchase.

forex video ariel cut tari mesum April 20, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Another thing about forex video learning is that
it is impossible to reference a video if you have questions to ask and apart from this, there is no way of marking crucial concepts or index of terms.

However, this is something that no course, no matter how good or sophisticated it is, will provide you with.
With this forex video training, it would be
easier for you to understand the current market trends and
the various charts.

MARIA July 21, 2014 at 4:27 am

I have always work consistently and even though I dont really have a belly I wanted to see if the device would help me trim my abs. The device did work on me. I sort of had abbs but I did noticed the difference using the device. Now I can definitely see my abbs very trimmed and I did not changed anything else in my workout rutine or diet. I guess the device work for people already fit.

Now I am experimenting using the device in my legs, but I just started yesterday.
p.S. I bought the one that you can return in two months if not satisfied.

storage units in tucson July 23, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Be sure to get more than one quote so you can take time to compare them and go through each one thoroughly.

Another was arrested by state troopers on an outstanding warrant and was turned over to federal immigration officials.
Most of the Denver moving companies make use of quality packing boxes.

weight loss with PhysioPower July 29, 2014 at 10:32 am

What’s up everyone, it’s my first pay a visit at this web page, and article is
truly fruitful in favor of me, keep up posting such
content.