5 Best Foods For Weight Loss

sxc.hu: aidswarrio

I few weeks back I posted a very simple weight loss plan, and I promised to follow on from that, and discuss my top 5 foods for weight loss.

In my list below I haven’t included fruits and vegetables, purely because that is a given. I don’t need to restate it.

You need to eat more fruits and veg, period.

Okay, on to my best foods for weight loss, here goes…

Healthy Foods to Help You Lose Weight

1. Oatmeal
Oatmeal is a great source of nutrients and fiber, and an excellent choice for breakfast, because it helps to keep you feeling satisfied for longer, whereas packaged breakfast cereals generally don’t do a great job at all.

My favorite way to eat oatmeal is with a dash of cinnamon, grated apple, a few chopped nuts, or some ground flaxseeds.

Dried fruits and a little natural yogurt are also good options.

Here is my recent article on whole grain food for more grain ideas.

2. Brown Rice
I love rice more than any other starchy carb. In fact, I really can’t imagine my diet without it.

But, eating a lot of white rice isn’t good for your waistline, mainly because it doesn’t fill you up and so you find yourself eating way more than you need.

So, making the switch over to brown rice is an essential, but very easy step.

I think the key when cooking brown rice is to plan ahead. Don’t leave the rice as the last thing you prepare, otherwise everything will be ready before the rice even gets going.

You will only need a very small portion of brown rice to feel full, about 50 grams, which means you are cutting calories, without depriving yourself of something you enjoy.

3. Legumes
If I haven’t banged on about legumes enough already on Dietriffic, here I go one more time! :-)

I think I love them… they are nutritious, cheap, easy to use, and low in calories. The perfect food if you are trying to lose weight.

You should try to add them to your meal plan at least two times each week.

You can substitue some of the meat in certain recipes with legumes, or you could have a “vegetarian” night, when you make a lentil curry, for example.

4. Nuts
Lots of people shy away from eating nuts and seeds when they are dieting, because of the calorie content.

However, I have found over and over again that when your diet is filled with whole foods, like nuts, you don’t need to worry so much about counting calories, your body naturally craves less.

So, eat a handful of nuts each day, in place of your normal high sugar snack, and I promise you will notice the difference.

Come back here and tell me if you don’t feel more satisfied for longer!

Just remember to keep your portion under control, as this is where nuts can be a problem. A portion is 1 to 1 1/2 ounces.

5. Water
Okay, so I know I said this was my “5 best foods for weight loss” but I just have to mention water. It is absolutely essential!

Don’t try to lose weight without drinking at least 8 cups of plain water per day.

If you have a soft drink (or other calorific beverage) habit, you need to get shot of that, and fast!

As I’ve said before, sodas have zero nutritional value. All they do is add calories you don’t need, especially when you are trying to lose weight.

If you need help curbing your soda habit, check out this article.

So, that’s my 5 best foods for weight loss — what would you add to this list?

Andy December 2, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Coconut Oil should at least have an honorable mention. :) Can help boost the metabolism.

Melanie December 15, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Hi Andy,
Can you recommend any sound studies on the benefits of coconut oil?

Tory December 3, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Hey Mel,

I think one of the best foods for “weight loss” would be a lean protein source such as chicken, fish or eggs (or a vegan alternative). Simply because protein has the highest thermic effect of all the macronutrients and it also keeps you feeling fuller longer. Combine that with vegetables and a carb as your daily caloric goal allows and you’ve got yourself a great meal that will aid in fat loss.

Melanie December 15, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Hi Tory,
Thanks for adding your thoughts.

Deca Durabolin December 5, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Great choice, I would put a couple more in but the list is fine as is too.

martha@simple-nourished-living.com December 14, 2010 at 4:42 pm

These all are on my list of favorite foods. Nuts have been a lifesaver for me. They are healthy and satisfying in a way that so many less healthy snacks aren’t.
.-= martha@simple-nourished-living.com´s last blog ..Crazy Diet Tip Giveaway =-.

Melanie December 16, 2010 at 11:20 am

Hi Martha,
I agree with you about nuts, they are an amazing snack, especially when you are away from home, and you don’t want to stop in at fast food restaurants etc to eat junk food. I try to bring some nuts and seeds, and a banana when I go shopping, for example, then all I need is a quick coffee somewhere and I’m good to go again :-)

Cathy in NZ December 17, 2010 at 4:43 am

chewing gum or similar – no particular type

ok it’s not a food but it’s great when you think you should eat just little more – gives your brain and mouth something to do :-)

Melanie December 18, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Hi Cathy,
Yeah, that one works well.

howtomakemoneywithyourblog.us December 30, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Melanie I have heard from several doctors that chewing gum makes your stomach release acids and ready to start breaking down foods that by chewing gum you are not feeding your body and therfore is not a good idea because your tricking your body into thinking that you are feeding it.

howtomakemoneywithyourblog December 30, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I tpo carry nuts with me everwhere I go just in case I get hungry. Great idea and thank you for all the information on your blog very informative I am going to follow you on twitter. I am on a quest to loose a few more of pounds.

Melanie December 31, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Yes, that is true. However, I think it is fine to chew for a short while, and chewing is actually good for your teeth, to help rid some of the bacteria. I think nuts and seeds are the best fall-back snack option. Thanks for your comments.

safe fat burners September 5, 2013 at 4:19 am

Wow, wonderful blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is excellent,
as well as the content!

MP3 Player Test October 17, 2013 at 6:18 am

Your style is unique compared to other people I’ve read
stuff from. Thank you for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I’ll just bookmark this page.

webcam tranny October 18, 2013 at 8:23 am

If you are going for most excellent contents like I do, just visit this
site everyday for the reason that it offers quality contents, thanks

liposuction October 21, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Numerous studies have shown that weight loss through bariatric surgery has become
an effective method in the treatment of urinary incontinence.
The Kapha period during the day is between 6am
and 10am and 6pm and 10pm. The findings of this
study were confirmed by other studies conducted in both Japan and Korea.

healthy eating November 18, 2013 at 6:08 pm

At this moment I am going away to do my breakfast,
after having my breakfast coming over again to read additional
news.

paleo diets November 23, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Do you wish to lose 10 pounds everyday 5 pounds per day or 1
pound per day. Which is why it is wise to create
a free diets weight loss chart of different foods and different reasons for nutrients, that
one could eat from the day and list them out by meals.
If you have been listening to diet nonsense on TV, within
the magazines and inside lunch room, you may well be skeptical of this,
but this really is science. Not only is water calorie free, nonetheless it flushes out nasty toxins and rejuvenates the body.

One group was put with a low calorie plan and one other group was told to
only eat healthily.

dietary supplement November 29, 2013 at 10:20 am

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an really long comment but after I
clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.

Anyhow, just wanted to say wonderful blog!

Discover More Here November 30, 2013 at 8:09 am

Truly, this is a helpful website.

Feast your fat away review December 4, 2013 at 9:16 am

What’s up, just wanted to tell you, I liked this post.
It was funny. Keep on posting!

fastest ways to lose weight December 4, 2013 at 11:51 am

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own
weblog and was curious what all is needed to get
set up? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a
pretty penny? I’m not very web smart so I’m not
100% positive. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

click here December 29, 2013 at 7:35 am

Wow! Finally I got a web site from where I be capable of in fact obtain useful
facts concerning my study and knowledge.

t25 vs insanity January 15, 2014 at 9:06 pm

What’s up, I check your blogs regularly. Your writing style is witty, keep
up the good work!

too fat harry potter ride February 6, 2014 at 5:11 pm

I constantly emailed this webpage post page to all my friends, since if like to read it afterward my links
will too.

from March 26, 2014 at 9:39 am

Amɑzing website Robinette

garnier skin care March 30, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long
as I provide credit and sources back to your site?
My blog is in the very same niche as yours and my users would truly benefit from
some of the information you present here. Please let me know
if this okay with you. Thanks!

agelocProject @NUSKIN-VIP.com - Weight Loss 2014/2015 April 15, 2014 at 4:10 pm

You also make commissions which are determined by sales volume with 5% being the lowest
commission. And with the advrnt of modern science, we have a
pretty good understanding of some of the factors that cause ouur skin to worsen as we age, including exposuure to sun, envirolnmental oxins annd poor diet.
Mainly three (Cordyceps Cs-4 Mushroom Mycelia, Pomegranate Fruit Extract,
and Pharmanex Asian Ginseng Rb1), and I encourage
you to do some research on them ass I did, before I started taking the product.

questions to ask a girl June 5, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and
I’m inspired! Extremely helpful info specially the closing section :) I maintain such info a lot.

I was looking for this particular information for a long time.
Thank you and best of luck.

true Cleanse Compelte and Garcinium June 7, 2014 at 8:26 am

Hey there! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout
out and say I truly enjoy reading your posts.
Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same topics?
Thanks for your time!

calculator actually June 17, 2014 at 5:05 am

fantastic publish, very informative. I wonder why the opposite experts of this sector do not notice this.

You should proceed your writing. I am confident, you have a huge
readers’ base already!

watch dogs xbox360 June 20, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Howdy! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog.
Is it very difficult to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal
but I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking
about making my own but I’m not sure where
to begin. Do you have any points or suggestions?

Download company of heroes June 28, 2014 at 7:05 am

I’m not sure exactly why but this website is loading very slow for
me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end?
I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.