10 Week Body Makeover: The Starting Point

Okay, as much as I hate doing this, as part of my accountability to you, I’m going to upload videos of my progress.

I say ‘hate’ because of the fear of coming across like some vain, self-absorbed idiot. But, I feel it’s the best way to be accountable, note progress (or lack of it) and be helpful to you if you’re in the same position.

This is the first video where I sum up what I initially said about getting in shape and show my stats.

Sadly, parts of it are a bit blurry (it’s hard to see the measurements on the tape around my waist), and I didn’t want to edit it for transparency reasons.

The stats are as follows:

Age: 28
Height: 5′ 9″
Waist: 97cm (38 inches)
Weight: 85.7kg (189lbs)
BMI: 28

If my memory is correct, my BMI was 23 when Melanie and I married almost six years ago. So, although I’m not morbidly obese, things aren’t good (physically).

As I say in the video, Melanie took other measurements. If you’re interested in them, let me know and I’ll be happy to share them.

Anyway, here it is. Ignore the silly banter and funny accent if you can :D

About Armen
Largely behind the scenes, Armen is the husband of the famous dietitian who runs this site. He has the responsibility of the technical side of things around here, but occasionally writes when he's allowed ;)

Taleen February 14, 2011 at 9:54 am

Armen, I am happy that you are doing this from a health perspective but I still think you’re LOVELY!!!!

Love you bro…. look forward to seeing your progress :)

Armen February 14, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Thanks sis! If I don’t make changes though, I’ll be a sorry sight if I ever see 50.

Of course, I’m not unmindful of the fact that I could be dead long before I know anything of the evils of living so long out of shape, but we should look after the things we’ve been given, even if they’re taken from us suddenly in the future.

Living with the attitude ‘well I’m going to die anyway, why look after my health’ is the same attitude the person has who never considers the future in regard to their finances; it’s a bit foolish.

Keep following. I love to receive your comments :)

Davey Boyd February 16, 2011 at 3:43 am

Good on you for recording the video. We’ll keep you accountable. Already its causing a stir here… Lynnie measured me up. Really I’m in the same boat as you – sedentary work/lifestyle. But since I started working for myself from home I get to surf a bit more. However, surfing isn’t the best workout, it takes ages to do and you can go for weeks without doing it when the conditions aren’t right.

Armen February 16, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Ha ha… you’ll be on a ‘plan’ next, too! :D
Surfing is more than I have been doing, but it’s not the ideal exercise for rapid calorie burning either.

Are you thinking about doing something, or were you just being measured up for curiosity?

Davey Boyd February 16, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I struggle to stick to plans. On and off, I’ve been jogging with a friend who’s going into the army. Stopping the commute to Sydney has helped me shed some flab all on its own too due to less sitting, less coffee and cafe food.

Armen February 25, 2011 at 9:46 am

I missed this somehow.

Dropping the cafe food is definitely going to help you. One of the best things people can do if they work away from home is to pack your own lunch.

Sure you can buy a salad for lunch, but when you walk into a cafe/store hungry, it is often far too tempting to buy more than you need.

Taleen February 16, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Hey Armen,

Just watched this again more carefully. Yes, I agree with your comments but it is just DOING it! It is acting upon what we know to be right. That is why I have the utmost respect for what you are doing.

I am shocked by the stats (without sounding mean) because you’re deceiving! For that reason, it is purely for your health that I fully support this.

You are also fab at doing video blogs by the way! HA! Who’d ever have thought, eh?!

Armen February 16, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Yep! What good is knowing what to do if you don’t put it into action, right? That applies to everything.

No one thinks I’m that out of shape. I think it’s my broad shoulders that give the illusion that my waist is thinner than it is.

As for the video blogging: I could do with pronouncing my consonants a little more to be understood by those who aren’t familiar with the accent, I think.

Anita February 25, 2011 at 8:14 am

Hey Armen, good on you for taking action. And great way of putting some more accountability on yourself by making the video and blogging about it. I’m sure Mel will give you all the guidance you need, but had to ask if you’re also tracking your body composition changes? Weight and BMI are actually not such good way of tracking progress – especially for someone like yourself who on the outside doesn’t actually look like he needs to lose weight :o) Ideally track your lean mass and fat mass.

Good on you for starting this, and I can’t wait to see your transformation.

Armen February 25, 2011 at 9:42 am

Thanks for the encouragement, Anita!

We actually did do measurements for body composition. Mel did a Jackson/Pollock 7-point calliper calculation for body fat, and measured the circumference of my arms, legs, etc. on me at the start.

It’s hard to get consistently accurate measurements from home, though. Waist is one of the major ones for me. I’m not far off getting to a good weight for me already. It’s a matter of shifting the weight from fat to muscle now. Once the stomach muscles are clearly visible, then I’ll know the body fat percentage is nearer where it should be.