3 Things The Diet Industry Will Never Tell You

You may think that maintaining a stable, healthy weight is impossible for you.

But, the biggest reason for this is usually a lack of understanding the fundamentals of healthy weight loss. And, that’s not surprising, given the mass confusion surrounding weight loss these days.

Unfortunately, the diet industry focus so much on finding a “secret” technique to losing weight easily, that people are still clamouring for that little magic pill, or trick that will finally end their weight loss struggles once and for all.

What we need to do, though, is focus on the fundamentals of a healthy lifestyle… that’s the real secret.

Here are three of the most important things the diet industry won’t tell you about losing weight.

1. Weight Loss Isn’t Complicated

Most “creators” of diets make weight loss much more complicated than it needs to be.

The amount of information available on diet and weight loss is simply overwhelming, and often you’ll find that new methods and tidbits of information are touted as being the big secret to losing weight. At least until the next big secret comes along.

I often find that people are looking for a way to lose weight that is complicated — not because they want to be confused by it all, but they feel it needs to be that way to be effective, since that’s all they’ve ever known.

The problem with all of this, is that the vast amount of information can seem so daunting that people feel overwhelmed, and don’t know where to begin. They also fear getting it wrong, and therefore not getting the best results from their chosen program.

The way out of this mass of confusion, is to make your weight loss program as simple as possible. At it’s most basic that means, eat nutritious foods, keep your portions reasonable, and get some exercise on a regular basis.

The truth is that losing weight and getting fit does take time, so the easier your plan is to stick to, the more consistent you’ll be in the long-run. This consistency is the real key (or secret) to losing weight and keeping it off for life.

2. Weight Loss Isn’t Easy

No, this isn’t a contradiction of what I said above!

Despite the fact that weight loss is not complicated, it also isn’t an easy road.

Part of the marketing hype that comes with most diet and exercise programs, is the implication, or even promise, that losing weight and keeping it off will be easy.

The fact is that you can expect it to be challenging, and at times downright difficult.

There’s no denying that some days it will be hard to motivate yourself to get out and exercise, or to make good eating choices. But, you must remember that there’s little in life, which is worthwhile, that comes easy.

Getting fit and healthy does require a significant degree of discipline — but it does get easier with time.

Developing self discipline is a bit like exercising a muscle. If you haven’t used that muscle in a while, when you start using it again, it can be difficult. But, if you hang in there for a while, you’ll get stronger in both mind and body, and your self-discipline and willpower will get stronger, too.

The second piece of good news, is that the discipline you learn while pursuing your diet and exercise plan, will spill over into other areas of your life as well. As a result your self confidence will improve, and you will likely find yourself doing better in your job, in your relationships, and in so many areas of life.

3. Short-Term Solutions Give Short-Term Results

I know I’ve said it before, but there are no overnight solutions to losing weight.

Losing weight and keeping it off requires a significant lifestyle change.

For most people, it’s much better to make small changes in their diet and exercise regimen, that they can easily maintain over the long-haul. For example, changing the proportions on your dinner plate — more vegetables and protein, and fewer carbs and fatty foods. Or, exercising more, but only doing so for 15 or 20 minutes at a time.

These are do-able, yet effective, lifestyle changes that will make a difference.

When you lose weight using a fad diet, the chances are you will regain that weight. However, when you make permanent lifestyle changes, as long as you maintain these changes, and don’t go back to old ways, you will be able to keep the weight off for good.

So, next time you see a weight loss program which offers instant results, requires no discipline, and involves a lot of complicated techniques, chances are the long-term results will not be what you are hoping for.

What has helped you most to lose weight in recent days, or in the past? I’d love to hear from you, please share your tips with us in the comments below…

Jurga proudlove May 20, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Melanie, I totally agree with you on this – fat loss isn’t complicated but it isn’t easy either! I’ve been making small changes to my nutrition which I can sustain over the long period and it’s working just fine. Small steps but persistent can make a huge difference in the long term! There is a saying in Lithuanian that one small drop of water over the long period will eventually make a hole in the stone! ;-) Moderation and Persistency!

Melanie May 25, 2011 at 9:41 am

Hi Jurga,
I love your saying, how true is that? I’m glad things have been working well for you, thanks for your comment :-)

Cathy in NZ May 21, 2011 at 4:04 am

problem with the industry is that is persuasive!

the hype and the advertising hits us every day…and if we are pushed for time we ‘will/could’ easily go down that way…

once you’ve done it a few times and it hasn’t worked you will most likely work out – it’s about

health,
moderation,
portions
your own mind knowing what is best for you…

well that’s the sensible ones who have spent many $$ and realise it just doesn’t work all that well :-) IMHO

Melanie May 25, 2011 at 9:43 am

Hi Cathy,
I wondering how much money is really spent by individuals looking to lose weight in their lifetime? I’d say it’s a pretty scary figure.

Cathy in NZ May 26, 2011 at 3:33 am

I imagine it will be a lot – even with deals via Informcials (?sp) which say if you buy this tool right now you can have this other one for 1/2 price…

Not only we are talking actually diets but what about all those machines (usually not electronic) that if you do this 10mins a day you can xyz and look how easy it is to store…

I have had to ‘remove’ daily walk meantime from my life…was sliding down into the mire I got into last year so it’s going to be about a month off…so to forestall a huge loss of downtime, caught it earlier.

Should be able to get back to in a few weeks time when Uni will be done ‘forever’ – i.e. only a few more weeks of assignments – finish about mid-June…Whoopee

Jason Smidt May 25, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Cardio for weightloss the finestway

Carlene May 26, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I love this post! It’s ridiculous how the diet industry always tries to rope in clients by convincing them they have found THE SECRET to weight loss and all you have to do is take a pill/hormone/whatever it is this time. As a RD in training, I’m baffled by the number of people who try these scams.

Melanie June 4, 2011 at 9:40 am

Hi Carlene,
One of my most asked questions is “how can I lose weight?” But people usually don’t like to hear eat less, exercise more. They want you to tell them the quick fix solution. We need to challenge that thinking as RDs. I hope your training is going well.

Shapeshifter Body Redesign June 2, 2011 at 9:24 am

Thanks for writing this post. It’s a shame how people fall for the latest gimmick or “secret”. Weight loss is about work, physical and emotional. Until you realize that, you have no hope of getting long term results.

Melanie June 4, 2011 at 12:17 pm

That’s very true. How do we get that message across to more people?

Nicola @ Eat Well NZ July 2, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Love this article, so true. So many people want a quick fix. I always tell my clients who are after a quick fix that they didn’t become overweight overnight, so weight loss isn’t going to happen overnight either! Best results come from lifestyle change and slowly changing bad habits.

Six Pack Shortcuts Download October 11, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Thank you so much for a great post. It is a pity that people will always follow the latest diet craze instead of making the commitment towards what they need to do. It is really about work and making lifestyle changes that will yield results.

weight loss shakes for women September 1, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Hi there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems
with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I
ended up losing a few months of hard work due to no backup.
Do you have any methods to prevent hackers?

basketball predictions October 5, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Another extremely useful tool which you will find on Asian Bookie is the Live – Score
function, which tracks each and every match currently under way around the
world, and gives you a real-time update on the scores in those matches.
When it comes to parlay card numbers, you are much more apt to see a slight gap between those prices printed on cards and those posted
on the board in the NFL than you are in college football.
Nicknamed the Baby Pharoahs, they have been coached by Hany Ramzy since 2009.

Fat Loss Factor System October 8, 2013 at 8:52 am

Wonderful blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.
Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!

Sytropin HGH Supplement January 23, 2014 at 12:41 am

hello there and thank you for your info – I have certainly picked up something new from right here.
I did however expertise several technical issues using this website, since I experienced to reload the website
a lot of times previous to I could get it to load properly.

I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will often
affect your placement in google and can damage your high quality score
if advertising and marketing with Adwords.
Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for a lot more of your respective interesting
content. Make sure you update this again very soon.

Anna April 4, 2014 at 3:57 am

What’s up friends, howw is everything, and what
you wish for tto say aboyt this article, in my view its really amazing
ffor me.